+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible scam email asking for scanned copies of all passport(s)

WillM9211

Aug 2, 2022
Hi,

I am in the process of my Canadian Citizenship application. I have passed the test and waiting for the next steps.
I recently received an email with attached pdf asking for `scanned copies or photos of all passport(s) and travel document(s) pages held during your five (5) years eligibility period`. At first I did not think too much about the email and I was about to scan my documents. However, after taking a closer look at it, I find it odd and suspect it to be a possible scam email. Also, I find it weird that they asking for scanned passport/documents again since I already submit those in my application long time ago.

Questionable things I found,
1. The email requested that I reply to the email with the scanned documents. I know normally IRCC do not ask applicants to reply to their email and if they were to request documents, they would provide instructions other than reply email.
2. I received the email on July 28th, 2022, yet, the pdf is dated June 28th, 2022.
3. I am asked to reply within 10 Calendar days which is odd as the usual period they gave is 30 days.
4. The `Government of Canada logo` is blurry upon magnifying which is unusual. I checked my other pdfs from previous emails and they are clear.
5. The sender email is DNCITVANTESTS@cic.gc.ca which seems valid but in the email I received about taking test, the email is DNVANBCISTESTS@cic.gc.ca.

What do you guys think?

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hi,

I am in the process of my Canadian Citizenship application. I have passed the test and waiting for the next steps.
I recently received an email with attached pdf asking for `scanned copies or photos of all passport(s) and travel document(s) pages held during your five (5) years eligibility period`. At first I did not think too much about the email and I was about to scan my documents. However, after taking a closer look at it, I find it odd and suspect it to be a possible scam email. Also, I find it weird that they asking for scanned passport/documents again since I already submit those in my application long time ago.

1. The email requested that I reply to the email with the scanned documents. I know normally IRCC do not ask applicants to reply to their email and if they were to request documents, they would provide instructions other than reply email.
2. I received the email on July 28th, 2022, yet, the pdf is dated June 28th, 2022.
3. I am asked to reply within 10 Calendar days which is odd as the usual period they gave is 30 days.
4. The `Government of Canada logo` is blurry upon magnifying which is unusual. I checked my other pdfs from previous emails and they are clear.
5. The sender email is DNCITVANTESTS@cic.gc.ca which seems valid but in the email I received about taking test, the email is DNVANBCISTESTS@cic.gc.ca.

What do you guys think?
email is legit, it's the BC email they use if you wanna confirm you should call them may be on hold forever but I would call IRCC and see if they can confirm but the domains look legit.

The "IS" in the email for the test is for Itinerant Services. So, it is "BC Itinerant Services" that sent the test invite to you.

read more about IS Itinerant services in Canada: Immigration and Citizenship

Good luck

WillM9211

Aug 2, 2022
email is legit, it's the BC email they use if you wanna confirm you should call them may be on hold forever but I would call IRCC and see if they can confirm but the domains look legit.

The "IS" in the email for the test is for Itinerant Services. So, it is "BC Itinerant Services" that sent the test invite to you.

read more about IS Itinerant services in Canada: Immigration and Citizenship

Good luck
Sorry, I might have confused you.
The possible fraud email address that I received from is DNCITVANTESTS@cic.gc.ca
Also, there aren't any new update in my status tracker, the last update I have is `Citizenship test activity status updated`, which is odd since normally the emails are in sync with the status tracker
Regardless, I will give them a call and hopefully, it is not a fraud/scam.

Thanks for your help

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Sorry, I might have confused you.
The possible fraud email address that I received from is DNCITVANTESTS@cic.gc.ca
Also, there aren't any new update in my status tracker, the last update I have is `Citizenship test activity status updated`, which is odd since normally the emails are in sync with the status tracker
Regardless, I will give them a call and hopefully, it is not a fraud/scam.

Thanks for your help
No worries and no need to be sorry,

What I mean is the only reason the one that asks for the test has an IS in it is because that is the team that handles that type of request and the one that is DNCITVNTESTS is the general inbox, you can search that one you think is a scam in this forum and you will see a lot of folks from BC gets email from it, but if you still are not comfortable i say calling them is the best bet, better to be safe than sorry i always say :)

wksj

Oct 7, 2021
If you send an email to any address that ends with .gc.ca, it goes to the Canadian government, and @cic.gc.ca is the hard working IRCC. Sure, this government has had many ethics violations, but they are not trying to scam you out of your passport pages!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi,

What do you guys think?
1. Well it is a legitimate CIC email address, So do what they request.

Reactions: snoopyta

xoly221

Jan 16, 2018
Hi,

What do you guys think?
Did you do an online application or paper based?