+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible questions asked during re-entry

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hi,

I obtained my PR in Sept 2017 and I have only been in Canada for around 10 days so far. I plan to move there permanently next year (so I will have lived ~1 year 8 months years outside Canada) so I know I will definitely meet the RO. What I wanted to know is what kind of questions will they possibly ask me because I did not move there immediately after landing? I have genuine reasons since I want to move there with a job in hand. I know of atleast one case where the PR returned with only a couple of months to spare in the 3 years he stayed outside and was questioned in secondary immigration and that got me worried. Do they question you for less than two years stayed outside Canada or it is usually a breeze?

Thanks in advance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

I obtained my PR in Sept 2017 and I have only been in Canada for around 10 days so far. I plan to move there permanently next year (so I will have lived ~1 year 8 months years outside Canada) so I know I will definitely meet the RO. What I wanted to know is what kind of questions will they possibly ask me because I did not move there immediately after landing? I have genuine reasons since I want to move there with a job in hand. I know of atleast one case where the PR returned with only a couple of months to spare in the 3 years he stayed outside and was questioned in secondary immigration and that got me worried. Do they question you for less than two years stayed outside Canada or it is usually a breeze?

Thanks in advance.
They may ask where you have been and what you were doing but if you have been a PR for less than 1095 days on the date you return to Canada, you can't possibly have failed to meet the RO, so it's a non-issue.

Reactions: ch671

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As Zardoz implies you should have no issue returning next year so no need to over think things. With CBSA only answer questions asked, do not volunteer extra information and you should be fine.

Reactions: ch671

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
They may ask where you have been and what you were doing but if you have been a PR for less than 1095 days on the date you return to Canada, you can't possibly have failed to meet the RO, so it's a non-issue.
Thank you that helps me.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
As Zardoz implies you should have no issue returning next year so no need to over think things. With CBSA only answer questions asked, do not volunteer extra information and you should be fine.
Thank you.

shre_sinha

Aug 11, 2018
Hi all,

I have couple of questions regarding the PR:

a) Can one of my friends collect my PR card in my absence as I will be traveling back to India before the card arrives or do I need to be personally present to collect the card?

b) Is it going to be a problem if I come back after two years to Canada post first landing in Canada?

Thanks,
Shreya

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi all,

I have couple of questions regarding the PR:

a) Can one of my friends collect my PR card in my absence as I will be traveling back to India before the card arrives or do I need to be personally present to collect the card?

b) Is it going to be a problem if I come back after two years to Canada post first landing in Canada?

Thanks,
Shreya
A) if it is a collection only you can collect. If is sent by mail to a Canadian address then a friend or relative could mail or courier to you.
B)not a problem as still able to meet the residency obligation of 2 years residence in first 5 years. But you will need a PRTD to board a plane if you do not have your PR card.

shre_sinha

Aug 11, 2018
A) if it is a collection only you can collect. If is sent by mail to a Canadian address then a friend or relative could mail or courier to you.
B)not a problem as still able to meet the residency obligation of 2 years residence in first 5 years. But you will need a PRTD to board a plane if you do not have your PR card.
No it won't be a collection. I'll put my friend's mailing address so that he can receive it on my behalf and later courier it to me. That should be fine right?