+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible PGWP refusal?

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Hey guys, any advice or ideas on my situation will be greatly appreciated!
I studied a 3 year program at Seneca College. After completing 3 semesters of the program I had to take a leave of absence from school due to a medical emergency in my family.

To give you more information, my mom was diagnosed with cancer and due to the severity of the disease, there were no treatments available, not even surgery. Hence my mom was told she didn't have much time maybe a few months (no definite timeline). Due to this, I returned home to care for her as my mom could have died anytime. I left Canada in Feb 2017 and stayed in India till Dec 2017. My mom passed away during this time in Sep 2017. There was an option to return as soon as she passed away (in sep) but that semester was not offered until January.

I resumed my studies in Jan 2018 and now I have graduated. I'm afraid that my PGWP will be refused due to the unauthorized break that I took for almost a year. Technically I am already ineligible to apply due to that break and have been advised to do a paper application or flagpole.

Do you think I should take a chance and apply? I spoke to a CIC agent and they said I could still try as the decision is up to the case processing officer. I have proof and medical documents that I can attach with my letter of explanation. My other option is to enroll in a new program and then apply for PGWP upon completion.

I want to see what you guys think! please let me know. Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey guys, any advice or ideas on my situation will be greatly appreciated!
I studied a 3 year program at Seneca College. After completing 3 semesters of the program I had to take a leave of absence from school due to a medical emergency in my family.

To give you more information, my mom was diagnosed with cancer and due to the severity of the disease, there were no treatments available, not even surgery. Hence my mom was told she didn't have much time maybe a few months (no definite timeline). Due to this, I returned home to care for her as my mom could have died anytime. I left Canada in Feb 2017 and stayed in India till Dec 2017. My mom passed away during this time in Sep 2017. There was an option to return as soon as she passed away (in sep) but that semester was not offered until January.

I resumed my studies in Jan 2018 and now I have graduated. I'm afraid that my PGWP will be refused due to the unauthorized break that I took for almost a year. Technically I am already ineligible to apply due to that break and have been advised to do a paper application or flagpole.

Do you think I should take a chance and apply? I spoke to a CIC agent and they said I could still try as the decision is up to the case processing officer. I have proof and medical documents that I can attach with my letter of explanation. My other option is to enroll in a new program and then apply for PGWP upon completion.

I want to see what you guys think! please let me know. Thank you!
You can certainly try applying with a full explanation and all documentation. IRCC has sometimes granted PGWPs in the past when unauthorized breaks were due to such serious conditions.

Reactions: ree14

ree14

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
You can certainly try applying with a full explanation and all documentation. IRCC has sometimes granted PGWPs in the past when unauthorized breaks were due to such serious conditions.
Thank you for your reply! I am mostly considering to apply I'm just scared because the processing time is so long for PGWP applications and in case of a refusal I need to have a backup plan in place.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
How does paper or flagpole change anything? Flagpole is probably worse, I dont see them taking the time to go through medical docs at the border. Do a normal application & hope for the best.

Kk.123

Dec 15, 2020
Thank you for your reply! I am mostly considering to apply I'm just scared because the processing time is so long for PGWP applications and in case of a refusal I need to have a backup plan in place.
hey
Any update?