+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POSSIBLE MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Already contacted a lawyer and you are right, it's family law and criminality. He could be charged up to $100k, face 5yrs in jail and be barred from entering Canada for 5 yrs. It's a crime he committed.
He left you 9 times before marriage and you still married him and sponsored him...you got him arrested and Peace Bonded and you STILL contacted him after in order to reconcile...You might want to look into some emotional counseling.

• Haha
Reactions: Joeydocs

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Yes, charges, arrests, incarcerations etc., must be noted on certain spousal sponsorship forms. If one fails to, and knowingly submit an incomplete package and Immigration Canada grants permanent resident status, it will be rendered null and void once it learns of this misrepresentation. Other criminal penalties also apply for misrepresentation.
So why you did not include on the Application that he beat you 1 month after marrying and Police arrested him? "Applicant beat me but I still want to sponsor Him" Visa Office needs to know this kind of stuff.
Did you withhold this information so He could get his PR? If so,this wont look good in court.

Ramon2020

Dec 23, 2020
So why you did not include on the Application that he beat you 1 month after marrying and Police arrested him? "Applicant beat me but I still want to sponsor Him" Visa Office needs to know this kind of stuff.
Did you withhold this information so He could get his PR? If so,this wont look good in court.
There were no beatings. I am a very strong powerful man and i would not allow that to ever happen. What he did was to grab me roughly several times. That is assault. Had I hit him back, which I easily could have, both of us would then be charged with assault. I am able to regulate my emotions, he cannot do that so easily. Additionally, I don't believe in physical violence - unless it's in self-defense.

Ramon2020

Dec 23, 2020
He left you 9 times before marriage and you still married him and sponsored him...you got him arrested and Peace Bonded and you STILL contacted him after in order to reconcile...You might want to look into some emotional counseling.
Love cause us to do foolish things sometimes. Understand that the gay world has more violence than the straight one but 45-50% go unreported. Thus, it's not always about breaking up. Had it been serious violence, I would have never allowed him back. But those were mostly screaming matches.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Love cause us to do foolish things sometimes. Understand that the gay world has more violence than the straight one but 45-50% go unreported. Thus, it's not always about breaking up. Had it been serious violence, I would have never allowed him back. But those were mostly screaming matches.
Do you have any stats to back up that LGBTQ+ relationships are more violent? That is a pretty big claim. Domestic abuse goes mostly unreported in straight relationships as well. It is very disturbing that you think there has to be serious violence to break off a relationship. Any form of verbal or physical violence in a relationship is serious and if it happens once it will keep on happening and usually escalate.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
There were no beatings. I am a very strong powerful man and i would not allow that to ever happen. What he did was to grab me roughly several times. That is assault. Had I hit him back, which I easily could have, both of us would then be charged with assault. I am able to regulate my emotions, he cannot do that so easily. Additionally, I don't believe in physical violence - unless it's in self-defense.
OK back to immigration topic - do whatever you have to do, because if he goes on Welfare, then you will have to pay back every penny in the period of undertaking.
But as others here have said - it is an uphill battle.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
OK back to immigration topic - do whatever you have to do, because if he goes on Welfare, then you will have to pay back every penny in the period of undertaking.
But as others here have said - it is an uphill battle.
It is not clear from the original posts that he sponsored the spouse, who is here "with a student/work visa expiring in Jan 2021."

So he would have no liability with regards to welfare; there is no sponsorship relationship.

There is concern he will (possibly) apply for refugee status. That's a separate issue, but again, no liability with respect to welfare.

If the origional poster HAS initiated a spousal sponsorship, he should certainly withdraw that sponsorship.

Let's stick to the issues on the table.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
It is not clear from the original posts that he sponsored the spouse, who is here "with a student/work visa expiring in Jan 2021."

So he would have no liability with regards to welfare; there is no sponsorship relationship.

There is concern he will (possibly) apply for refugee status. That's a separate issue, but again, no liability with respect to welfare.

If the origional poster HAS initiated a spousal sponsorship, he should certainly withdraw that sponsorship.

oh I agree 100% lol

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

This is really a divorce case. Based on what has been posted it is unclear what the grounds would be for annulment and what kind of fraud was involved. The husband doesn't even have PR. OP seems to be under the impression that his husband might go to jail or get fined 100K. Canada rarely takes up marriage of convenience cases and other than the assault there seems to be no obvious criminality. I hope OP focuses on moving on and finds the fastest way to do so.

TootToot

Mar 10, 2020
I'm sorry that this happened to you. To be "had" by someone you thought loved you is rough. Though, it's dangerous to be blinded by love and some of the responsibility is yours to take for that.

If you haven't sponsored this individual, you just need to get out of the marriage in the quickest and least costly way, and move on.

I don't think you should bother costing yourself extra time, money, heartache to get him deported or convicted on grounds of falsehood. Understand as well that he got here on his own via his own visa. While he may have been cruel to you, I'm sure he has his own heartaches and came to Canada for a reason that it would be just as cruel to take away from him.

Migrating elsewhere - especially from such a distance as Lebanon - only for your life abroad to be tarnished by an angry ex lover is heartbreaking as well. And let's not forget about karma either, if you believe in it. As a gay man, you should feel some fear of sending him back to a country where he cannot be free to be himself just because the relationship with you didn't work out. That would be a greater punishment than necessary.

I would leave him and his life alone once you can get yourself detached from him.

Ramon2020

Dec 23, 2020
Thanks for your reply and intelligent humanistic response. I do believe in Karma and I am not trying to get him deported. But his cruelty, hubris, narcissistic behaviour seems to have no end. Frankly I pity him at this stage, as he is being controlled by family and friends. But as he lacks empathy, his self-centeredness and cold-heartedness has blinded his judgement.

Ultimately, I must do what I need to protect my interest, as he has shown and displayed, in full regalia, his darker side. The aftermath of this however, will be his to bear, as my hands are clean. I don't plan on spending any money, time etc. as this is becoming water under the bridge to me. But as his family is wealthy, I think he does.

But his family's wealth has made him feel invincibly unaccountable; thereby allowing him to objectify people. Hence, he remains remorselessly unapologetic for his actions.

You would think that a brush with Canada's criminal justice system would have knocked some sense into him. Sadly it didn't. Funny he wants one set of laws to protect him, our immigration laws, but wants to flout those on domestic violence.

On the subject of Lebanon, he knows of the physical and psychological tortures gay men experience in that horrible place. But his arrogance, being from a privilege class has coloured his judgement which led him down a filthy path. The fruits of the harvest however, will be those of the trees sown by him, his family, and friends who have influenced and misguided his judgement.

Last edited:

panheng

Dec 29, 2020
Sorry you are going through this.

But what is your point because you did not sponsor him?
So are you trying to say that Canada Immigration protects criminals because getting arrested didnt teach him a lesson, and he should have been deported after his abuse on you?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This sounds like an unhealthy relationship from the very beginning and it sounds like you both should have walked away after 1 or 2 break-ups. As a gay man from Lebanon he has pretty good grounds for asylum.

Ramon2020

Dec 23, 2020
This sounds like an unhealthy relationship from the very beginning and it sounds like you both should have walked away after 1 or 2 break-ups. As a gay man from Lebanon he has pretty good grounds for asylum.
Was a dysfunctionally toxic relationship TBH. Gay Lebanese are good refugee candidates; however, my ex has travelled and lived in the USA, Italy, Australia, England etc. (68 in total) then back to Lebanon on multiple occasions. Our immigration lawyer - at that time - said that a refugee case would be difficult to pose to a judge, as the Crown would ask the question:

"If you feared for your safety, as a gay man, why did you travel back and forth between your country and those safe place"? This raises reasonable doubts, as any one with commonsense will see that there is something suspicions here.