+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible fraudulent LMIA leading to citizenship ?

Mchap

Jul 2, 2020
I suspect my employer submitted a LMIA that was not truthful which resulted in citizenship for a friend of theirs and then fired a Canadian co-worker to give his job to the new Canadian. It's been very distressing in the workplace to see yet another abuse of power by this dictator-type of manager who is routinely unjust. Can anyone explain this process to me? Myself and a few other long-standing employees want to know if our suspicions are correct. We also like the new Canadian and don't want to stir up trouble for him but we have a very real problem with a tyrant boss.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
LMIA doesn't result in citizenship. It results in permanent residence. Only after three years of continuous physical presence in Canada can one apply for citizenship.

IRCC will never "confirm if [y]our suspicions are correct." If you report this person, they may investigate. If they do, you will not be told, nor will you be told any outcome of the investigation. If the person's citizenship is stripped, you'd find out once they're deported.

If you have complaints about the boss, try launching them a different way.

Reactions: Mchap

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I suspect my employer submitted a LMIA that was not truthful which resulted in citizenship for a friend of theirs and then fired a Canadian co-worker to give his job to the new Canadian. It's been very distressing in the workplace to see yet another abuse of power by this dictator-type of manager who is routinely unjust. Can anyone explain this process to me? Myself and a few other long-standing employees want to know if our suspicions are correct. We also like the new Canadian and don't want to stir up trouble for him but we have a very real problem with a tyrant boss.
You can report immigration fraud here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/report-fraud.html#:~:text=How do I report immigration,suspicious activity at the border

You will not be notified of the outcomes of any investigation since this is covered under the privacy act.

Mchap

Jul 2, 2020
LMIA doesn't result in citizenship. It results in permanent residence. Only after three years of continuous physical presence in Canada can one apply for citizenship.

IRCC will never "confirm if [y]our suspicions are correct." If you report this person, they may investigate. If they do, you will not be told, nor will you be told any outcome of the investigation. If the person's citizenship is stripped, you'd find out once they're deported.

If you have complaints about the boss, try launching them a different way.
Thank you. I am ignorant of the entire process. I know that management ensured the gentleman held different job titles to help with his application being approved, (these were also positions that would have had many qualified applicants if they were advertised, they were not specialized at all). We all assumed it was for the purpose of citizenship, but it may have been for residency. Could citizenship involve employment in any way? Or was it more likely that this fellow was obtaining permanent residency and issuing a LMIA was part of that process? We would all be concerned about negative impacts on the immigrant and prefer he not have any, but if they did allot resources to investigating him, would authorities be just as concerned with him as they would be an employer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you. I am ignorant of the entire process. I know that management ensured the gentleman held different job titles to help with his application being approved, (these were also positions that would have had many qualified applicants if they were advertised, they were not specialized at all). We all assumed it was for the purpose of citizenship, but it may have been for residency. Could citizenship involve employment in any way? Or was it more likely that this fellow was obtaining permanent residency and issuing a LMIA was part of that process? We would all be concerned about negative impacts on the immigrant and prefer he not have any, but if they did allot resources to investigating him, would authorities be just as concerned with him as they would be an employer?
Citizenship does not involve employment. LMIAs have nothing to do with citizenship. Citizenship is determined based on residency - meaning how many days you have lived in Canada as a PR. Whether someone worked or didn't is irrelevant.

An LMIA assists someone in getting a work permit as a foreign worker and/or potentially in qualifying for permanent residency. An LMIA is not issued as part of the permanent residency process.

I'll be brutally honest. It doesn't seem you really understand immigration processes at all. It sounds like you're jumping to a conclusion that something wrong happened based on your friend having been fired and your boss being an ass. Given you don't understand the process, quite possible nothing wrong actually happened. If you want to file the fraud complaint, you (or whoever is logging the complaint) will need to have details and evidence to support the claim you are making. If you simply file a complaint stating you think something wrong was done but without any details / evidence, IRCC will just hit the delete key and ignore your complaint.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also - just to add, if the new Canadian already has citizenship, then the LMIA would have been issued 4-5+ years ago and isn't anything recent. This will add further complexity.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Additionally, the resources will entirely be dedicated to investigating the immigrant. If they determine that the LMIA was issued improperly (you say it wasn't advertised, it has to be, there are checks on that) then they will revoke his PR/LMIA on the basis of misrepresentation/fraud, and if he became a citizen (which, as @scylla says, would take 4-5+ years), they may actually look into revoking that as well, unless there are humanitarian and compassionate reasons behind it.

As for your boss, the company would most likely get a fine.

Reactions: Mchap and scylla

Mchap

Jul 2, 2020
Citizenship does not involve employment. LMIAs have nothing to do with citizenship. Citizenship is determined based on residency - meaning how many days you have lived in Canada as a PR. Whether someone worked or didn't is irrelevant.

An LMIA assists someone in getting a work permit as a foreign worker and/or potentially in qualifying for permanent residency. An LMIA is not issued as part of the permanent residency process.

I'll be brutally honest. It doesn't seem you really understand immigration processes at all. It sounds like you're jumping to a conclusion that something wrong happened based on your friend having been fired and your boss being an ass. Given you don't understand the process, quite possible nothing wrong actually happened. If you want to file the fraud complaint, you (or whoever is logging the complaint) will need to have details and evidence to support the claim you are making. If you simply file a complaint stating you think something wrong was done but without any details / evidence, IRCC will just hit the delete key and ignore your complaint.
Thanks KHP, your brutal honesty re-iterates my OP "Can anyone explain this process to me? Myself and a few other long-standing employees want to know if our suspicions are correct", and subsequent comment that "I am ignorant of the process". All we know is that leading up to whatever he obtained, (permanent residency or citizenship), the job/title was manipulated for the purpose of an application to do with immigration, and that central to it all is an employer who generally demonstrates unscrupulous behaviour. We just want a grip on the process and are not interested in causing trouble for the immigrant involved. I appreciate your contributions to this thread, thank you.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks KHP, your brutal honesty re-iterates my OP "Can anyone explain this process to me? Myself and a few other long-standing employees want to know if our suspicions are correct", and subsequent comment that "I am ignorant of the process". All we know is that leading up to whatever he obtained, (permanent residency or citizenship), the job/title was manipulated for the purpose of an application to do with immigration, and that central to it all is an employer who generally demonstrates unscrupulous behaviour. We just want a grip on the process and are not interested in causing trouble for the immigrant involved. I appreciate your contributions to this thread, thank you.
You need to found your complaint on something other than immigration if you don't want this person to get in trouble. The company would likely only get a fine if there was any fraud, the immigrant would be deported, and no one can say if your boss would even be impacted.