+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Portal

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
Hi, there are several threads on which portal to use and I'm surprised that no one seems to know the answer. I have an application ready to go on both the IRCC portal and the secure website (GCKey), hoping someone can clarify which should be used? If you google how to apply for a Canadian Visa, Service Canada still walks you to the old system (GCKey) which seems odd.

trvdxb

Dec 9, 2019
Hi, there are several threads on which portal to use and I'm surprised that no one seems to know the answer. I have an application ready to go on both the IRCC portal and the secure website (GCKey), hoping someone can clarify which should be used? If you google how to apply for a Canadian Visa, Service Canada still walks you to the old system (GCKey) which seems odd.
You can use anyone but only difference is less documents are required on ircc portal and even more faster process if someone holds valid USA or previous Canada visa in last 10 years, however we can see and consultants are discussing that there are more refusals are happening since February 2023 on portal bcoz ircc is using Chinook software so if you want to make more stronger your application then go with gckey bcoz at gckey you can attach more documents than ircc portal

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
Hi thanks for your reply. In the IRCC portal there is an "additional documents" option. I will use this for cover letter, financial documents (bank statement, real estate deeds, Thai employment verification letter), prior Canada visa, proof of relationship etc. I also like that the portal asks about the biometrics and whether you want to redo them or not (my GF's biometrics have 6 years remaining and we are fine with a 6 yr visa). Not really worried about a denial, but more so technical glitches.

trvdxb

Dec 9, 2019
Hi thanks for your reply. In the IRCC portal there is an "additional documents" option. I will use this for cover letter, financial documents (bank statement, real estate deeds, Thai employment verification letter), prior Canada visa, proof of relationship etc. I also like that the portal asks about the biometrics and whether you want to redo them or not (my GF's biometrics have 6 years remaining and we are fine with a 6 yr visa). Not really worried about a denial, but more so technical glitches.
yes you can add all those documents in additional document section. Its fine if you don't want to redo bio and visa validity will be based on bio or passport expiry whichever is expiring first

bkk707

Star Member
May 24, 2018
yes 6 years if fine because my GF is retiring in 3 years and at that point we'd apply for perm resident.

wicked31

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
I applied for my parents visitor visa in July 2022 via GC key. After getting no response/decision for 7 months I decided to apply again this time through the new portal. Within a week , my parents visitor visa application filed via GC Key was approved. Do I need to let IRCC know to withdraw the new application or by default they would automatically do it and get the refund too??

Please advise, thanks!

trvdxb

Dec 9, 2019
I applied for my parents visitor visa in July 2022 via GC key. After getting no response/decision for 7 months I decided to apply again this time through the new portal. Within a week , my parents visitor visa application filed via GC Key was approved. Do I need to let IRCC know to withdraw the new application or by default they would automatically do it and get the refund too??

Please advise, thanks!
You should submit request for withdrawal and if the process is not yet started then only u will get the refund