+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Port of entry: tips and what to expect?

yoshimura

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Hey everyone,

My gf received her visa to visit Canada. Now on to the next part :)

She'll be arriving with a return ticket with a date that maximizes the limit of her stay (she received 6 months). Can she get a return ticket with a changeable date? (in case the officer at the port of entry decides to modify her duration).

Any other tips? What can she expect?

Thanks! 8)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
yoshimura said:
Hey everyone,

My gf received her visa to visit Canada. Now on to the next part :)...

She'll be arriving with a return ticket with a date that maximizes the limit of her stay (she received 6 months). Can she get a return ticket with a changeable date? (in case the officer at the port of entry decides to modify her duration).

Any other tips? What can she expect?

Thanks! 8)
Sometimes the officer at POE does not even ask for the return ticket; only if there's something suspicious so ask her to relax. She should really get a ticket with a changeable date, and there's always a fee when you change dates/departure cities. The officer asks what she's going to do in Canada, for how long does she think she's going to visit, where she's going to stay and then stamp the arrival date on the passport. If the officer did not place any other date then she's good to stay for 6 months.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
yoshimura said:
Cool Seeker.

You're saying that the officer may not even bother to assign a departure date?
It is understood that when the officer did not write a departure date, she's good to stay for 6 months. Otherwise, she stays up to the date written other than the date of arrival. 6 months is max if no other date written save for the date of arrival. Anyway she can always extend ;)

campesinaj

Star Member
Jan 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
AOR Received.
29-06-2010 In Process in Lima
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
when my husband entered (with me) for a recent vacation, we came in at Pearson - he showed his passport, the officer reviewed it, asked how long we were staying, asked the purpose of our trip and then stamped his passport and put an X over his visa.

it was all over in about 2 minutes!

oh, she also asked the usual questions about if we were bringing alcohol, cigarettes, meat, etc.

yoshimura

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
AWESOME! thanks for the replies again. 8)

edit: when approaching the customs booth to see the officer, can I do it with my girlfriend?

campesinaj

Star Member
Jan 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
AOR Received.
29-06-2010 In Process in Lima
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
for us it was fine. at the time of our vacation, we we're married, just engaged and we had no problems. my sister and her boyfriend have also done the same on various trips without problems -- since you are traveling together, same location, same destination, it should be fine.

mylota

Mar 16, 2010
Make sure you do not contradict details on your visa application when question (if you needed a visa)

Questions like: where are you staying, how long etc must be same as was in your visa application

yoshimura

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
mylota said:
Make sure you do not contradict details on your visa application when question (if you needed a visa)

Questions like: where are you staying, how long etc must be same as was in your visa application
However; the visa officer gave her a 6 month long visa. She understood that my girlfriend applied for two weeks, but told her personally at the interview that she can stay up to 6 months. So my girlfriend bought a return ticket for 3 months.