+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Port of Entry Questions!

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi,

My sister just got her study visa approved. Because she doesn't have any family in Canada, she will rent a house through Airbnb for 6 days and searching for an apartment during that time.

When she filled out the questionnaire, she answered that no one will accompany her to Canada. So is it okay if her mom comes with her now (her mom already had a visitor visa)? On the Airbnb receipt, the rental is for 4 people (my sis, her mom, her friend who transfers from Vancouver, her friend's mom). My sister intends to show the receipt as proof of accommodation at the POE. Will this be okay? Will the POE officers ask about this?

How is she going to show proof of financial support at the POE if asked? She will surely open a bank account, but that can only be done after she enters Canada. She will only bring some cash with her. Showing the bank statement? Any ideas?

Any other things that need to pay attention to at the POE?

Thanks much.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi,

My sister just got her study visa approved. Because she doesn't have any family in Canada, she will rent a house through Airbnb for 6 days and searching for an apartment during that time.

When she filled out the questionnaire, she answered that no one will accompany her to Canada. So is it okay if her mom comes with her now (her mom already had a visitor visa)? On the Airbnb receipt, the rental is for 4 people (my sis, her mom, her friend who transfers from Vancouver, her friend's mom). My sister intends to show the receipt as proof of accommodation at the POE. Will this be okay? Will the POE officers ask about this?

How is she going to show proof of financial support at the POE if asked? She will surely open a bank account, but that can only be done after she enters Canada. She will only bring some cash with her. Showing the bank statement? Any ideas?

Thanks much.
I don't know much about her mother accompanying her, as I have not looked too much into that, as I am travelling alone. She will have to show the Airbnb receipt, it should have her name on it and it should show the duration of the stay. You need to bring the same financial proof that you used in the application. If there is sometime between classes and when she is entering Canada. She will need to show additional proof of having funds to sustain herself till the classes start, as students are only allowed to work after classes have started.

Reactions: vhptanh@97

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

Thanks much.
Her mother can travel with her. She is not considered accompanying.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Her mother can travel with her. She is not considered accompanying.
Thanks so much for your response.

My sister was so worried about whether this would be considered as untruthful, as there is a question asking about accompanying in the Family Form.

Do you know if they can fill out just 1 declaration card, since 1 is good for a family up to 4 people, or is it better for each to have a card filled individually?

Thanks in advanced.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks so much for your response.

My sister was so worried about whether this would be considered as untruthful, as there is a question asking about accompanying in the Family Form.

Do you know if they can fill out just 1 declaration card, since 1 is good for a family up to 4 people, or is it better for each to have a card filled individually?

Thanks in advanced.
They are staying for different lengths of time, so their own cards.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
They are staying for different lengths of time, so their own cards.
Thanks so much.

If you don't mind, can I ask one more question?

My sis just received an email regards pre-departure from her school, and she is asked to have a complete list of items and their values. Is this required? As my sis is living off-campus, she has many household goods, decoration, toys, etc. besides apparel, and I don't think she can list all of the items that she is bringing into Canada. Will she have to pay taxes for the goods? We just went through the declaration card and there are only yes/no questions.

I really appreciate your help bro!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks so much.

If you don't mind, can I ask one more question?

My sis just received an email regards pre-departure from her school, and she is asked to have a complete list of items and their values. Is this required? As my sis is living off-campus, she has many household goods, decoration, toys, etc. besides apparel, and I don't think she can list all of the items that she is bringing into Canada. Will she have to pay taxes for the goods? We just went through the declaration card and there are only yes/no questions.

I really appreciate your help bro!
It doesn't have to be a list of every item. She can group things together, i.e. "Clothes, $400".

Joy68

Star Member
Jul 30, 2019
Hi,

Thanks much.
Her mother can travel to settle down your sister. The mother is not considered as accompanying person for the purpose of 5707/5465 form. Airbnb receipts are fine and return ticket of mother is must.

Joy68

Star Member
Jul 30, 2019
My apologies@ selvakk is absolutely right. You do not need the POE letter now to get the Study permit at the Airport. I just received a letter from Delhi Immigration confirming the same. @selvakk was spot on is mentioning that all the student information are already loaded in their centralised system database. Also the letter mentioned that one should not enter Canada 3 weeks before the start of course.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
It doesn't have to be a list of every item. She can group things together, i.e. "Clothes, $400".
Thanks for your response.

Btw, do you know if the list of items with their value is mandatory? My friends told me that my sis should be careful about packing her stuff, as if the total value of items is more than CAD$800, she needs to be responsible for tax duties. Is this correct?

My sis is going to live off-campus, so she has many household goods with her. She will bring some with them, and some may be shipped via USPS or UPS. Do you think there are any potential problems with this? The goods will include house decorations, toys, and other households goods like kitchen furniture and cookware.

Also, I have heard some rumors that the study permit can only be received in Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto. Is this true? My sis will fly directly to Manitoba International Airport as she comes from the U.S.

Thanks in advance!

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
I don't know much about her mother accompanying her, as I have not looked too much into that, as I am travelling alone. She will have to show the Airbnb receipt, it should have her name on it and it should show the duration of the stay. You need to bring the same financial proof that you used in the application. If there is sometime between classes and when she is entering Canada. She will need to show additional proof of having funds to sustain herself till the classes start, as students are only allowed to work after classes have started.
My apologies@ selvakk is absolutely right. You do not need the POE letter now to get the Study permit at the Airport. I just received a letter from Delhi Immigration confirming the same. @selvakk was spot on is mentioning that all the student information are already loaded in their centralised system database. Also the letter mentioned that one should not enter Canada 3 weeks before the start of course.

Btw, do you know if the list of items with their value is mandatory? My friends told me that my sis should be careful about packing her stuff, as if the total value of items is more than CAD$800, she needs to be responsible for tax duties. Is this correct?

My sis is going to live off-campus, so she has many household goods with her. She will bring some with them, and some may be shipped via USPS or UPS. Do you think there are any potential problems with this? The goods will include house decorations, toys, and other households goods like kitchen furniture and cookware.

Also, I have heard some rumors that the study permit can only be received in Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto. Is this true? My sis will fly directly to Manitoba International Airport as she comes from the U.S.

Thanks in advance!

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018

Thanks in advance!
It was my understanding that these exemptions are only for people returning to Canada and would not apply to someone entering Canada for the first time(excluding visits on vistors visa). This rule certainly applies if you have landed and got your permit and you have gone back to your home country and are returning to Canada. I am assuming you are basing this on the information below?

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-to-canada/personal-exemptions-mini-guide

I don't believe this applies, nor are there and limitations in bringing things for the first time. If they ask her to declare anything you are shipping after reaching Canada or you have shipped before she has arrived to Canada, she must do so, but I have not done much research on that.

Study permit can be done from any airport that has immigrations and customs, before a flight can accept any international flight it must have immigrations and customs facilities. Any rumor to the contrary is rubbish and not to be believed. Most flights to the less populated provinces include a layover in major cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Your study permit must be done in the first Canadian city you land in, the rumor likely originates from this rule being misinterpreted. I assume by Manitoba International airport you mean Winnipeg Airport, since that is the only international airport in Manitoba. In your sister's case, the study permit will be issued in Winnipeg, as that is the first Canadian city she is landing in.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
It was my understanding that these exemptions are only for people returning to Canada and would not apply to someone entering Canada for the first time(excluding visits on vistors visa). This rule certainly applies if you have landed and got your permit and you have gone back to your home country and are returning to Canada. I am assuming you are basing this on the information below?

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-to-canada/personal-exemptions-mini-guide

I don't believe this applies, nor are there and limitations in bringing things for the first time. If they ask her to declare anything you are shipping after reaching Canada or you have shipped before she has arrived to Canada, she must do so, but I have not done much research on that.

Study permit can be done from any airport that has immigrations and customs, before a flight can accept any international flight it must have immigrations and customs facilities. Any rumor to the contrary is rubbish and not to be believed. Most flights to the less populated provinces include a layover in major cities like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. Your study permit must be done in the first Canadian city you land in, the rumor likely originates from this rule being misinterpreted. I assume by Manitoba International airport you mean Winnipeg Airport, since that is the only international airport in Manitoba. In your sister's case, the study permit will be issued in Winnipeg, as that is the first Canadian city she is landing in.

Thanks so much for your reply. Your response is so useful and detailed. You just eased my worry. We were so over worried about the declaration.