+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

political asylum by Venezuelans

danilive

Mar 7, 2014
Hi,
I'm a Venezuelan international student and I had a couple questions about political asylum here in Canada.

1. Looking at how things are in Venezuela right now, would I have a good chance at getting political asylum here in Canada?
2. How long would the process take just to become a resident? Or furthermore, a citizen?
3. Would it affect my studies here? Is there anything I need to know before attempting to gain political asylum?

I know not everyone understands exactly how bad things are in Venezuela right now due to media censorship by the government there, but if someone could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
You should start here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

As far as I know, I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted from Venezuela.
One thing you have to keep in mind is that you cannot return to your home country - I believe it's until Canadian citizenship is granted which can take years.

If you want to stay and are currently studying in Canada , why don't you look into your other options such as getting a job after school and then applying via Canadian Experience Class.

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ipc is right. ....stay away from refugee case...it takes very long..process....to get papers and citizenship....very few chances..to get approved...every case has its own merits...but due to current changes...chances r very very slim...to get approved...better look some other options like job offer etc..while u have education...etc...

danilive

Mar 7, 2014
Thanks. But if I'm here on a student visa, then I can't be working after school. At least that is my understanding. I think even if I were to join a co-op program, then that experience does not count due to the fact that it's a requirement for me to graduate. I read somewhere that there are certain jobs, for example cooks and retail sales supervisors, that will not count towards experience if I were to attempt to get residence through the Canadian Experience Class.

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
You may be eligible for a post graduate work permit though
CEC no longer supports some nocs such as restaurant supervisor but that is confirmed only until oct/nov 2014 when they made add others or remove that barrier altogether.