+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police verification needed from home country

manisweta

Sep 7, 2022
I have been in Canada continuously for the required 3 years after my PR. So please let me know if i still need police verification from my home country

manisweta

Sep 7, 2022
thank you for your reply. I am going for canada citizenship after my PR. So needed to know if i still need police verification from home country despite staying continuously for 3 years in Canada

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have been in Canada continuously for the required 3 years after my PR. So please let me know if i still need police verification from my home country
As others state, probably not. But it DEPENDS.

That is, you may or may not need to provide a PCC with the citizenship application. Depends on some additional details in your situation.

@leka and @hope2018 might be correct, but they might be wrong. Depends. Again, depends on some additional details in your situation.

To be clear, there is NO rule or instruction or policy that says a citizenship applicant does not need to submit a police certificate from their home country. There is an exception applicable in specific circumstances. (Which, I am guessing, @leka and @hope2018 assumed is your situation.)

If you came to Canada from your home country when you got PR, and (importantly) you have NOT returned to your home country since you got PR status (since the date you became a PR), you probably do not need to include a PCC with your application. Probably. However, that is a determination YOU must make yourself by following the instructions for citizenship applicants.

So, @leka and @hope2018 are probably correct, but that is based on some assumptions about your situation, the main ones being that you were in your home country immediately prior to getting PR status and coming to Canada (rather than, as more than a few PRs have been, working and living in a third country prior to getting PR status and coming to Canada), and that your three continuous years in Canada have been since the date of landing itself, so that there was no return to the home country after landing (even if that was before the three continuous years in Canada).

Follow the instructions in the application. Answer the questions posed in Question 10. b) based on the facts. See the examples in the guide. In particular, example 1 illustrates the scenario in which the applicant can check "no" in the chart, not providing a police certificate, and state the in-home-country exception as an explanation.