+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Report - FBI (US) - can it be a pdf ?

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
Must the police report (from FBI in the US) be in a sealed envelope from the FBI?

"Channelers" for the FBI seem to all provide only a downloadable pdf document from the FBI. Even the FBI seems to be pushing users towards the electronic mode. Will printing this off be valid for the Canadian Application for Spousal Immigration? thanks!

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Hi. Quick question, was your application or has your application been approved even though you submitted the PDF report? I appreciate any insight. Thank you.
I also submitted a PDF back in Oct. 2019 when I sent my application in (FBI document was from April 2019). I don't think I ever received any mailed or hard copy correspondence from the FBI. I didn't use a channeler service, but everything was done online and via email.

My application was not returned, nor was additional (security) backup requested, so I assume that PDF satisfied their needs. My PR Background Check is currently underway now, but I believe that is something that the CBSA does in relation to my time and activities in Canada, not pertinent to any previous countries of residence (which is that the FBI certificate is for).

Good luck!

Mar 17, 2021
I also submitted a PDF back in Oct. 2019 when I sent my application in (FBI document was from April 2019). I don't think I ever received any mailed or hard copy correspondence from the FBI. I didn't use a channeler service, but everything was done online and via email.

My application was not returned, nor was additional (security) backup requested, so I assume that PDF satisfied their needs. My PR Background Check is currently underway now, but I believe that is something that the CBSA does in relation to my time and activities in Canada, not pertinent to any previous countries of residence (which is that the FBI certificate is for).

Good luck!
Hi, have you heard anything else regarding your application since the last post?
I'm in the process of doing the FBI part and having trouble understanding how the result should be submitted.
How were you able to do everything online with the FBI via email? Did you use the electronic application and emailed them your finger print results done in Canada?
Did the pdf you submit to IRCC work or was anything else requested?

Many thanks in advanced for your reply!

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
Hi, have you heard anything else regarding your application since the last post?
I'm in the process of doing the FBI part and having trouble understanding how the result should be submitted.
How were you able to do everything online with the FBI via email? Did you use the electronic application and emailed them your finger print results done in Canada?
Did the pdf you submit to IRCC work or was anything else requested?

Many thanks in advanced for your reply!
I'm not Princess Buttercup but maybe I can answer your question. I initially posted this thread as I had the same concerns as you. My outland spousal application was received on Aug 31, 2020 and I have just now received the AOR1 and the letter for biometrics (prior to this, nothing). I have to assume that my application has not been rejected for an improper FBI report.

I reside in the US (citizen). I used an FBI "channeler"...a private company that takes your fingerprints and submits them to the FBI. The FBI report was sent to me by the channeler company by a link to a pdf. I had also requested a printed copy in a sealed envelope...just in case. In the end, I simply printed off the pdf and sent that with my PR application. At this point I have to conclude that the IRCC accepted that information as my application has proceeded.

Why did I use a channeler? This was in the depths of the covid pandemic. I could go to one of 2-3 locations in my town, within 4 miles. Or I could have tried to get an appointment at a US Post Office about 120 miles away (cheaper cost...but more for gas, etc). Some post offices offer the service of taking the fingerprints and sending them to the FBI, but these are few. Another option is to get the fingerprint form (all I could find was downloading it or buying yucky photocopies on Amazon) and have a local police department take your prints, I think this is risky as the paper may not be the right stuff, may not get good results, etc. My channeler (and the post offices, I believe) take prints on a glass plate with a "laser" and the prints are sent to the FBI electronically...much more accurate and faster (even the FBI says processing is faster for these). My fingerprints were actually taken by a local real estate school that does this for people applying for Realtors licenses, building contractors licenses, etc.

The process with the channelers was a bit weird for me. There was a national company that I contracted with and paid; they dealt with the FBI. Then I had to select from a list of companies that do the actual fingerprinting and send these (electronically) to the channeler company. I was very unsure of the whole chain. But in the end all went well and I had my FBI report only a few days after my fingerprints were taken.

Good luck.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup
Mar 17, 2021
I'm not Princess Buttercup but maybe I can answer your question. I initially posted this thread as I had the same concerns as you. My outland spousal application was received on Aug 31, 2020 and I have just now received the AOR1 and the letter for biometrics (prior to this, nothing). I have to assume that my application has not been rejected for an improper FBI report.

I reside in the US (citizen). I used an FBI "channeler"...a private company that takes your fingerprints and submits them to the FBI. The FBI report was sent to me by the channeler company by a link to a pdf. I had also requested a printed copy in a sealed envelope...just in case. In the end, I simply printed off the pdf and sent that with my PR application. At this point I have to conclude that the IRCC accepted that information as my application has proceeded.

Why did I use a channeler? This was in the depths of the covid pandemic. I could go to one of 2-3 locations in my town, within 4 miles. Or I could have tried to get an appointment at a US Post Office about 120 miles away (cheaper cost...but more for gas, etc). Some post offices offer the service of taking the fingerprints and sending them to the FBI, but these are few. Another option is to get the fingerprint form (all I could find was downloading it or buying yucky photocopies on Amazon) and have a local police department take your prints, I think this is risky as the paper may not be the right stuff, may not get good results, etc. My channeler (and the post offices, I believe) take prints on a glass plate with a "laser" and the prints are sent to the FBI electronically...much more accurate and faster (even the FBI says processing is faster for these). My fingerprints were actually taken by a local real estate school that does this for people applying for Realtors licenses, building contractors licenses, etc.

The process with the channelers was a bit weird for me. There was a national company that I contracted with and paid; they dealt with the FBI. Then I had to select from a list of companies that do the actual fingerprinting and send these (electronically) to the channeler company. I was very unsure of the whole chain. But in the end all went well and I had my FBI report only a few days after my fingerprints were taken.

Good luck.
Thank you very much! This is extremely helpful. If you don't mind helping me out with another question. In regards to the source of income section on the application, I understand that although sponsoring a spouse doesn't have a minimum income requirement, it's still better to show that at least the sponsor is able to financially support the main applicant for the duration of at least 3 years. My partner and I currently don't have a job (taking time off due to covid) but have more than enough in savings to qualify for the 3+ years of financial support, would a bank statement of the savings be sufficient do you think? Or will I need to provide documents showing that there's steady income coming in, such as from a job, dividend income, rental, etc...any other steady stream passive incomes. Thank you in advance

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
Thank you very much! This is extremely helpful. If you don't mind helping me out with another question. In regards to the source of income section on the application, I understand that although sponsoring a spouse doesn't have a minimum income requirement, it's still better to show that at least the sponsor is able to financially support the main applicant for the duration of at least 3 years. My partner and I currently don't have a job (taking time off due to covid) but have more than enough in savings to qualify for the 3+ years of financial support, would a bank statement of the savings be sufficient do you think? Or will I need to provide documents showing that there's steady income coming in, such as from a job, dividend income, rental, etc...any other steady stream passive incomes. Thank you in advance
I'm happy to give you my comments on your question. Although I think it might have been better all-round to start a new thread for this (in the Spousal thread?) so that the thread subject matches this question...you might get more replies, plus it may help others with same question.

My own situation has some similarity to yours with little current income. My wife (sponsor) has Canadian citizenship and we reside in the USA. I am now retired (so I am quite elderly, lol) and we plan to move to Canada to be near her family. At the moment, our income is negligible...a very small pension of $420 per month. I will take delayed Social Security (SS) retirement benefits in a year or so, that will provide $40,000 per year. About 3 years later my wife will take her SS spousal benefit (early, at age 62) for another $10,000 per year. I will also have to draw required minimum distributions (RMD) from IRA accounts...another $60-80 K per year. There are substantial savings and investments in taxable accounts, IRA and Roth IRA accounts. So I am quite confident of our income and ability to support ourselves for the next 40 years (well, 30 years for me and her, another 10 years on top of that for her as a widow). But at the moment all I could show to IRCC on my application is that measly lil' $420 per month!

So I included a full package of all account statements with balances (income tax returns also if I remember correctly) and a net worth statement. Plus a lengthy written description and analysis of anticipated future income (Social Security) and disbursements from investments and cash assets. I have little doubt, and no concern, that this is sufficient to show that I will not become a burden on the Canadian system. There is a fallback plan, just spend 6 months a year in Canada.

In your situation I think you will have to show some similar plan with the available resources to "see you through" (and hopefully beyond) the 3 years...a plan for employment or other income and spending down your current resources. It may make a difference depending on where you are currently located...inside Canada or in the US, and if you and your partner reside together. I don't know your age range but going 3 years without employment may raise some eyebrows at IRCC (unless you are university students, etc). It's also potentially very risky to your own financial well-being.

The covid pandemic is a legitimate justification for the current circumstances of employment. But this state of affairs seems to be rapidly drawing to a close with more vaccinations becoming available. So I would not "push" the story of extended unemployment based on this rationale. Try to have a credible plan for gaining employment. Certainly "things" can happen to torpedo this and any plan, but you'll want to have some concrete positive, optimistic plan for the future, not just for 3 years but thereafter as well.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck!

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Frankly as long as you're not on government assistance, you are fine. Having no income might raise an eyebrow as to how you plan to support yourselves. I have never heard of a requirement to show that the sponsor is "able to financially support the applicant for 3+ years". Your bank statements would be more than sufficient. There is *no* income requirement for spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup