+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance from Nigeria

salee

Nov 23, 2009
A friend worked in Nigeria for two years and is having difficulties getting a police clearance certificate from there for his PR application. He has contacted the Nigerian embassy and their response was that he should apply directly to the police department in Nigeria or ask a friend or relative to do it on his behalf. Now, he doesn't have any friend or relative who could do that.
What can he do if he is unable to obtain the police clearance from Nigeria despite his best effort?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
salee said:
A friend worked in Nigeria for two years and is having difficulties getting a police clearance certificate from there for his PR application. He has contacted the Nigerian embassy and their response was that he should apply directly to the police department in Nigeria or ask a friend or relative to do it on his behalf. Now, he doesn't have any friend or relative who could do that.
What can he do if he is unable to obtain the police clearance from Nigeria despite his best effort?
If the inability to acquire a police clearance is solely not of his own actions, then he may submit that as the reason to CIC. However if Nigeria will give him a police clearance, should he simply chooses not to get it in person or through a representative , then his application shall be refused by CIC.

He should see if there are law firms or other services that would act as his representative in Nigeria to help process his police clearance.

salee

Nov 23, 2009
If the Nigerian government requires him to personally travel to Nigeria for that purpose and he can't (he is currently in Canada and can't afford the trip; moreover, it isn't safe there), would this be deemed the case that he chose not to obtain the police clearance?

He had submitted fees, fingerprints (taken by the Toronto Police)and application form to the Nigerian embassy. It sent the package back and asked him to get it done in Nigeria through a friend or relative.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Your friend followed the instructions on the CIC website and was unable to obtain the PCC. So s/he should write a letter about that - describe the efforts to obtain the PCC, and the response by the Embassy - hopefully it is in writing - and then state that there are no friends/relatives in Nigeria, and he cannot travel to Nigeria for the sole purpose of obtaining a PCC.

I think if your friend were a Nigerian citizen, this might not suffice, but since he is not, it will likely be enough. There are many on this forum that ask the same question (me to0 - country in question is Cambodia). Alas, no one ever reports back about what happened!

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
salee said:
If the Nigerian government requires him to personally travel to Nigeria for that purpose and he can't (he is currently in Canada and can't afford the trip; moreover, it isn't safe there), would this be deemed the case that he chose not to obtain the police clearance?

He had submitted fees, fingerprints (taken by the Toronto Police)and application form to the Nigerian embassy. It sent the package back and asked him to get it done in Nigeria through a friend or relative.
It would not be a sufficient reason if he simply can't afford to make the trip, either because of time or money. It would be up to the immigration officer's discretion if there is a safety issue involved. Like I have mentioned previously, his best course of action is to hire the services of legal representatives in Nigeria.

jasedu60

May 3, 2013
helios said:
It would not be a sufficient reason if he simply can't afford to make the trip, either because of time or money. It would be up to the immigration officer's discretion if there is a safety issue involved. Like I have mentioned previously, his best course of action is to hire the services of legal representatives in Nigeria.
But have you tried www NigeriaCRB com?

Cos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
NOC-A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 June, 2012
AOR Received.
6 Nov, 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
27 Feb, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26th April, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-May 2013; PPT returned 19-June, 2013
LANDED..........
21-June, 2013
salee said:
If you or your friend really lived and worked in Nigeria, it's strange you do not have a friend there! Inbox me and I will try to help, for a right fee!

jasedu60

May 3, 2013
Cos are you in Nigeria? and If yes, how can people be sure you are that reliable when they can use an organisation instead?

dizon09

Jan 16, 2013
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-Nov-2013
Doc's Request.
Biodata Form
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
10-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
15-May-2014
Med's Done....
07-Jun-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
15-Jul-2014 rainbow bridge
jasedu60 said:
Cos are you in Nigeria? and If yes, how can people be sure you are that reliable when they can use an organisation instead?
Nigeria CRB is legit I just received my police clearance today. Only one week abd they sent me the clearance here in Canada.

letstry21

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
RCMP request 10-May-2014
AOR Received.
08-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Got Medical Instructions on 08-Jul after mail to CPP
Med's Done....
10-Jul-2014 (Uploaded 15-Jul-2014)
Passport Req..
25-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-Sep-2014(Initially passport was returned back due to Damaged passport so got reissued and send again)
LANDED..........
28-Sep-2014
I am not sure if CIC will accept PCC from Nigeria CRB or not ....

How can we say its genuine or not...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
salee said:
Your friend needs to actually read the CIC instructions on how to obtain the police certificate for Nigeria. Iit's pretty clear in saying he needs to send the application to the Commissioner of Police in Lagos, NIGERIA, not to the Nigerian embassy.

Non-Resident Requests
Applicants should apply by courier to the Commissioner of Police at the address above, to the attention of Inspector Usman Mohammed (telephone: 08033696178). Applicants should provide a pre-paid return courier envelope, a copy of their passport and a set of fingerprints taken and certified by a recognized police authority or the Nigerian embassy or consulate, and an international money order payable to the Nigerian Police Force, CID.

If he follows the actual instructions and still can't get the certificate, then he could explain that to CIC and they would probably allow for an exemption.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
exactly as canuck_in_uk says...

First, you have to follow CIC instructions to attempt to get the PCC...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/africa/nigeria.asp

rgk

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ccp o
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2013
Doc's Request.
15 april 2014, RCMP spouse
AOR Received.
18 November 2013
Med's Request
15 april 2014
LANDED..........
May 22 2014
Does anyone get police certificate from Spain too? Pls help me

dizon09

Jan 16, 2013
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-Nov-2013
Doc's Request.
Biodata Form
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
10-Dec-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
15-May-2014
Med's Done....
07-Jun-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
15-Jul-2014 rainbow bridge
The clearance I received from nigeriacrb is the same as the clearance received by my friend who took it the difficult, expensive & supposed to be the right way.
And he paid almost $500.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.