+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POLICE CLEARANCE, FBI AND STATE CERTIFICATES..

dogon80

Sep 3, 2014
GREETINGS,

I'M A U.S. CITIZEN BUT JUST GOT MARRIED TO A CANADIAN CITIZEN RECENTLY, HERE IN CANADA. WE'RE NOW IN THE PROCESS OF APPLYING FOR SPOUSAL SPONSER SHIP AND WE PLAN ON EXTENDING MY TEMPORARY VISA BEFORE THE EXPIRY DATE, IN ORDER TO GET ALL MY POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES SENT TOGETHER WITH THE APPLICATION PACKAGE. BUT I WONDER, IS IT POSSIBLE TO SEND THE APPLICATION PACKAGE WITHOUT THE POLICE CERTIFICATES? WE TALKED WITH A IMMIGRATION LAWYER, AND HE SAID THAT WE COULD SEND THE POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES LATER.

I ALSO WONDER, SINCE I'M FROM THE U.S. DO I HAVE TO SUBMIT STATE CERTIFICATES, AS WELL? I KNOW I HAVE TO SEND THE FBI CLEARANCE CHECK; BUT FOR THE STATE CERTIFICATES, I'VE READ THAT ITS NOT MANDATORY AND THAT THE VISA OFFICE WILL CONTACT ME IF I NEEDED THEM...

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THESE QUESTIONS :-\

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
(FYI, it's easier to read posts when they aren't in all caps.)

Yes, you *can* send in your app without the police certificate, noting that you will forward the police certificate when you receive it. However, there's some chance of causing a delay in your process any time you leave out any of the required pieces. Also, you may face a problem with sending in the police certificate. Until you have a file number or UCI (unique client identification) number, there's no way for CIC to match documents with your file. If you send in your application packet without the police certificate, then get it a short time later, but don't hear back from CIC about your app for another three months, you may not be able to get your police certificate in to them in time, before it expires (has to be received within three months of the date it was issued). Then you'd be forced to get another, and risk a delay in your processing. It's up to you, just be aware of the possible consequences.

No, you do not need to send state certificates, just the FBI certificate.

Griffintown

Jun 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dogon80 said:
GREETINGS,

I'M A U.S. CITIZEN BUT JUST GOT MARRIED TO A CANADIAN CITIZEN RECENTLY, HERE IN CANADA. WE'RE NOW IN THE PROCESS OF APPLYING FOR SPOUSAL SPONSER SHIP AND WE PLAN ON EXTENDING MY TEMPORARY VISA BEFORE THE EXPIRY DATE, IN ORDER TO GET ALL MY POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES SENT TOGETHER WITH THE APPLICATION PACKAGE. BUT I WONDER, IS IT POSSIBLE TO SEND THE APPLICATION PACKAGE WITHOUT THE POLICE CERTIFICATES? WE TALKED WITH A IMMIGRATION LAWYER, AND HE SAID THAT WE COULD SEND THE POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES LATER.

I ALSO WONDER, SINCE I'M FROM THE U.S. DO I HAVE TO SUBMIT STATE CERTIFICATES, AS WELL? I KNOW I HAVE TO SEND THE FBI CLEARANCE CHECK; BUT FOR THE STATE CERTIFICATES, I'VE READ THAT ITS NOT MANDATORY AND THAT THE VISA OFFICE WILL CONTACT ME IF I NEEDED THEM...

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THESE QUESTIONS :-\

THANKS IN ADVANCE...
The best choice is to have the file 100% complete, but I say go ahead and send it at a later date if need be. My non-american spouse lived in the USA for a few years and our clueless immigration lawyer never mentioned we needed an FBI clearance from the USA - it was only through my own research I realized we needed it. I called CIC and they said it was fine to send it at a later date. We sent it early august and we still have not received the results it so I suggest you send it ASAP. Luckily we have a UCI number so once it comes it we can forward it to the visa office. It could delay processes, but so far our case seems pretty simple and isn't being really delayed because of this. But who knows.

We sent the document without the FBI because I didn't want to wait any longer and the file was complete so why let it collect dust. I would suggest you send the file when it is ready and apply for FBI clearance right away. Chances are by the time you get the FBI certificate you might already have your UCI. We got our UCI approximately 1.5 months after we sent the file (mid august).

As you said, no need for state certificate (unless specifically asked).

Good Luck!