+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police clearance certificate

Terabytez

May 29, 2020
Hi,

I the sponsor am a Canadian resident residing in Canada while my wife isnt. I was filling out an application for my wife who is an outland applicant. As of now the application includes her only and not any of her family members (they have been listed on the application as family members but they wont be applying for PR). When i went through the checklists of documens required to sponsor her it seems like they require police clearance certificates for all family members. Could someone please shed some light on this information?

Thanks

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi,

I the sponsor am a Canadian resident residing in Canada while my wife isnt. I was filling out an application for my wife who is an outland applicant. As of now the application includes her only and not any of her family members (they have been listed on the application as family members but they wont be applying for PR). When i went through the checklists of documens required to sponsor her it seems like they require police clearance certificates for all family members. Could someone please shed some light on this information?

Thanks
Police clearance certificates are only required for accompanying family members (the ones applying for PR with your spouse. For example, your children).

Don't quote me on this, but I believe wherever it says "family members" it's talking about ones included in the PR application (unless specified otherwise).

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

Thanks
Read the definition of family memebers and dependent in the guide first.
Only family members included in the application needs police clearance certificates. (accompanying or not will need PCC)

If you do not have any children and your wife doesn't have any kid from her previous relationships, then there is NO dependent.

Father, mother, brothers and sisters ARE NOT family memebers in IRCC terms once she is married to you (or is 22 years old or older)
List them in the additional family members form only.

Dec 2, 2021
I have received a Police Clearance certificate (PCC) request for my parents. Can you pls help in addressing following question:
Do we need to get a Police Clearance Certificate for the travel that my parents did back in 2003, 2005, and 2010. In each time they were in the U.S for 2 months. In accumulation with all those three years makes it 6 mons.

Do we need to provide a PCC from US for that 6 mons? - if you have the answer pls include a link.

Pls help
Thanks

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I have received a Police Clearance certificate (PCC) request for my parents. Can you pls help in addressing following question:
Do we need to get a Police Clearance Certificate for the travel that my parents did back in 2003, 2005, and 2010. In each time they were in the U.S for 2 months. In accumulation with all those three years makes it 6 mons.

Do we need to provide a PCC from US for that 6 mons? - if you have the answer pls include a link.

Pls help
Thanks
What does the request say? Does it have specific countries on there?

Dec 2, 2021
What does the request say? Does it have specific countries on there?
Request is generic no specific country mentioned. we already got PCC from Local Country. At the time when I was about to submit the PCC there is an example mentioned in there that shows how to calculate 6 mons (as mentioned above).

desi_munda

Star Member
Oct 29, 2021

Pls help
Thanks
It's 6 months continuously and not addition of smaller chunks over years.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

Dec 2, 2021
I had the same understanding, and i did came across of that link for express entry (not PGP).

At the time when I was about to submit the PCC through the portal there is an example mentioned in there that shows how to calculate 6 mons (as mentioned above). That is why I'm confused.

desi_munda

Star Member
Oct 29, 2021
Here is what they sent me for PGP:

"Police Certificate: From each country/state where the residence period
has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance
certificate This must be received at this office by: 2021/xx/xx"

I've only submitted for India and not Canada where PA stayed for less than 6 months at a time but visited for several years. If they ask for Canadian PCC then we would know for sure.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I had the same understanding, and i did came across of that link for express entry (not PGP).

At the time when I was about to submit the PCC through the portal there is an example mentioned in there that shows how to calculate 6 mons (as mentioned above). That is why I'm confused.
Each application has specific requirements for PCC. Please don’t follow anything besides your specific application.

You are correct, when you upload a PCC on your IRCC account, it givens an example that is accumulated (spending 6 months or more in total, not necessarily in one trip.)

To my understanding, yes submit a PCC from all countries that you spent a total of 6 months or more. How many countries are they in your case?

Reactions: YVR123
Dec 2, 2021
Each application has specific requirements for PCC. Please don’t follow anything besides your specific application.

You are correct, when you upload a PCC on your IRCC account, it givens an example that is accumulated (spending 6 months or more in total, not necessarily in one trip.)

To my understanding, yes submit a PCC from all countries that you spent a total of 6 months or more. How many countries are they in your case?

In my case, it is just the US. Already started the process, not sure we will be able to finish on time.

Aishas

Star Member
Aug 22, 2020
Hello friends I am applying for citizenship and as they have this requirement that if you have lived more than 183 days outside Canada you need to attach police clearance certificate (pcc) of that country too and I have spent more than 183 days in Pakistan and now I am trying to get the certificate from my country and it will take around 2 to 3 months however I need advice from you guys should I submit my application without the certificate and once I will receive the pcc I will send it to immigration or should I wait for the certificate to get it and apply after? Please advice
Thanks!