+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance Certificate

ashwin007

May 27, 2009
Hi all,

I am expecting an ITA in the next couple of weeks. I had a question for the police clearance certificate. I am an Indian and I have the PCC from India. I have traveled for more than 6 months in my entire life, albeit not continuously, in the US. A new note has been added to the link, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp, saying "Note: This includes the requirement to provide a police certificate for countries in which the individual has traveled for six months or more, whether or not the individual had an established residential address during this time." I am confused if I need a PCC from the US as well.

Could someone please confirm.

Thanks and regards
Ashwin

hasan.hadi

Sep 24, 2015
Baghdad
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/2/2017
Nomination.....
12/4/2017
if you have stayed for 6 months or more in the US you need a PCC even if its not continues.

sunchaser

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
agreed, you need US PCC. Read through the 'reasons for rejections' thread. There is one such case where application was rejected for the same reason.

Janaki Iyer

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
Canada
I have a similar question for The Netherlands. In 2013, I was in The Netherlands for six months. However, I traveled twice to the UK within this six months so my total stay in the Netherlands was 5 months and 12 days. Will I be asked a Police clearance for The Netherlands? Also, when I had applied for my work permit in 2015, CIC had requested my police clearance from India and Singapore (the two countries that I've lived in for more than 6 months), but they didn't ask a police clearance certificate from The Netherlands. And I haven't traveled to The Netherlands after obtaining my work permit. Anybody has any idea about this situation?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Janaki Iyer said:
I have a similar question for The Netherlands. In 2013, I was in The Netherlands for six months. However, I traveled twice to the UK within this six months so my total stay in the Netherlands was 5 months and 12 days. Will I be asked a Police clearance for The Netherlands? Also, when I had applied for my work permit in 2015, CIC had requested my police clearance from India and Singapore (the two countries that I've lived in for more than 6 months), but they didn't ask a police clearance certificate from The Netherlands. And I haven't traveled to The Netherlands after obtaining my work permit. Anybody has any idea about this situation?
No, you won't be "asked". IRCC will expect you to provide it with your application, and/or a letter of explanation about why you have not included it. If you just wait for IRCC to ask for it, your application will be returned as incomplete.

So, you have 2 choices - (a) just get it, or (b) write a letter of explanation. If you write a letter of explanation, there's still the chance that IRCC will ask for it, but hopefully they won't outright reject your application as incomplete.

If you decide to just get it (my recommendation if it is relatively easy to get) -

The instructions are not particularly helpful on the IRCC website. This is the letter you need to be able to apply for the PCC -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/PC_LetterA_e.pdf
https://www.justis.nl/producten/vog/certificate-of-conduct/faq/faq-code-of-conduct.aspx

Janaki Iyer

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
Canada
Whew! Thank you. That's such a relief. I was thinking of calling them myself. And I am proactively trying to get the Certificate of Conduct from The Netherlands.

Janaki Iyer

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
Canada
jes_ON said:
No, you won't be "asked". IRCC will expect you to provide it with your application, and/or a letter of explanation about why you have not included it. If you just wait for IRCC to ask for it, your application will be returned as incomplete.

So, you have 2 choices - (a) just get it, or (b) write a letter of explanation. If you write a letter of explanation, there's still the chance that IRCC will ask for it, but hopefully they won't outright reject your application as incomplete.

If you decide to just get it (my recommendation if it is relatively easy to get) -

The instructions are not particularly helpful on the IRCC website. This is the letter you need to be able to apply for the PCC -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/PC_LetterA_e.pdf
https://www.justis.nl/producten/vog/certificate-of-conduct/faq/faq-code-of-conduct.aspx
Thanks jes_ON. I am trying to get it before my ITA, so my time after ITA is not stressful. This application is really helpful. Where did you find it? I mean can you give me the link that leads to this page? Just to be sure that I am using the updated and most recent version of the form. Netherlands is also under the countries for which we are not required to submit a police clearance with the initial APR, and can submit it upon IRCC's request. In case, I am unable to obtain this letter before or after my ITA, I will be adding a detailed letter of explanation.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Janaki Iyer said:
Thanks jes_ON. I am trying to get it before my ITA, so my time after ITA is not stressful. This application is really helpful. Where did you find it? I mean can you give me the link that leads to this page? Just to be sure that I am using the updated and most recent version of the form.

Netherlands is also under the countries for which we are not required to submit a police clearance with the initial APR, and can submit it upon IRCC's request.

Not true - I know that says that at the top, but lower down it says:
"Do I need to provide a police certificate for Express Entry?
Yes. If you are Invited to Apply (ITA) for Permanent Residence, you need to upload a police certificate in your Electronic Application for Permanent Residence (e-APR). Please follow the instructions above to get your police certificate."

So for express entry, you have to provide it up front (for other PR applications, it can wait)

In case, I am unable to obtain this letter before or after my ITA, I will be adding a detailed letter of explanation.

I provided you the link to the letter, not the application for the GCC. You can download the GCC application from the Justis website.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Janaki Iyer said:
Yes. I have the GCC application downloaded from the Justis website. I was asking where you found the letter from?
LOL ... You have the weblink ... you know where I found it... but if what you meant is, how did I find it, it is true that IRCC does not make it easy to find, but you can google it if you know what you're looking for.