+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance Certificate requirement

Kohinoor6792

May 24, 2016
Hi,
Let me provide a brief summary of my last 4 years travel

1. June 2006 - Oct 28, 2017 - U.A.E
2. Oct 28, 2018 - Nov 11, 2018 - India (Country of origin)
3. Nov 11, 2018 - Nov 22, 2018 - England (went for visiting friends)
4. Nov 22, 2018 - Dec 13, 2020 - CANADA (Landed and became PR on Nov 22nd). I left to UAE for 16 days on 5 Feb 2019 to 22 Feb 2019 only. So i meet my requirement now.
However, confused if i need to provide UAE police certificate as it falls under last 4 years and is not a country of origin.
CIC clause is:
Police certificate(s)
You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years -
  • for 183 days or more in a row -
  • since the age of 18 -
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.
You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and

• this time falls within the past 4 years
If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued

• after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
We may request a police certificate at any point during processing, even if you submitted a valid certificate with your application.

Now my dilemma is, as I was in country of origin but visited England for 11 days, do i need to give Police certificate of country where i was for most of DEC 2016 - OCT 2017 - which is UAE).

Thanks,

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Well, the answer is clear according to what you copy pasted.
You were in UAE for more than 18 consecutive days in the past 4 years. So yes.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Let me provide a brief summary of my last 4 years travel

1. June 2006 - Oct 28, 2017 - U.A.E
2. Oct 28, 2018 - Nov 11, 2018 - India (Country of origin)
3. Nov 11, 2018 - Nov 22, 2018 - England (went for visiting friends)
4. Nov 22, 2018 - Dec 13, 2020 - CANADA (Landed and became PR on Nov 22nd). I left to UAE for 16 days on 5 Feb 2019 to 22 Feb 2019 only. So i meet my requirement now.
However, confused if i need to provide UAE police certificate as it falls under last 4 years and is not a country of origin.
CIC clause is:
Police certificate(s)
You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years -
  • for 183 days or more in a row -
  • since the age of 18 -
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.
You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and

• this time falls within the past 4 years
If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued

• after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
We may request a police certificate at any point during processing, even if you submitted a valid certificate with your application.

Now my dilemma is, as I was in country of origin but visited England for 11 days, do i need to give Police certificate of country where i was for most of DEC 2016 - OCT 2017 - which is UAE).

Thanks,
It is because you were in UAE for more than 6 months consecutively within past 4 years (if what you have stated above is correct).

Also you need 3 years in Canada minimum for citizenship, and I do not see that from your timeline. If you did not have work permit or student permit in Canada before you landed (some other specific exceptions are there as well, but I am simplifying here) you cannot count days before your landing, even if you were in Canada. If you had that, those days will count as 1/2 day each and can max add 1 year (I am not 100% sure how much max they can add).
I do not see in your timeline 2 years in Canada prior your landing. So you can soonest apply somewhere in July (given that 2017-2018 period you were in Canada and can count them as 1/2 days = 6 months). And by that time your question about UAE police certificate will become irrelevant.