+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Clearance Certificate for Canadian citizenship application

ansh

Aug 2, 2013
Hello Guys,
I got PR in 2014 June. stayed in Canada for 6 months and from January 2016 to March,2017, I stayed in India. In last week of March,2017, I came back to Canada and then living in Canada since March,2017. Now, I would like to apply for citizenship. I have following questions for Police clearance certificate required or not :
If I have to calculate 183 days or more stay in India in last 4 years, my period starts from 25th october,2016 till 25th october,2020. During this period, if I stay more than 183 days or more, then as per the requirement, I have to submit PCC along with citizenship application. So, in my case, from 25th october,2016 till March, 22nd 2017 , I was in India in last 4 years. so total no of days are 148 days.

Do I need PCC in this case?

O'canada

Oct 21, 2020
Hello Guys,
I got PR in 2014 June. stayed in Canada for 6 months and from January 2016 to March,2017, I stayed in India. In last week of March,2017, I came back to Canada and then living in Canada since March,2017. Now, I would like to apply for citizenship. I have following questions for Police clearance certificate required or not :
If I have to calculate 183 days or more stay in India in last 4 years, my period starts from 25th october,2016 till 25th october,2020. During this period, if I stay more than 183 days or more, then as per the requirement, I have to submit PCC along with citizenship application. So, in my case, from 25th october,2016 till March, 22nd 2017 , I was in India in last 4 years. so total no of days are 148 days.

Do I need PCC in this case?
You require PCC as you stayed in India between Jan 2016 -March 2017
Go to BLS and apply for PCC else Indian embassy.

It doesn't take more than 3 weeks to get PCC.
Why you want your application return after 7-8 months saying PCC not provided.
Don't take risk go for it .

ansh

Aug 2, 2013
You require PCC as you stayed in India between Jan 2016 -March 2017
Go to BLS and apply for PCC else Indian embassy.

It doesn't take more than 3 weeks to get PCC.
Why you want your application return after 7-8 months saying PCC not provided.
Don't take risk go for it .
But 4 years starts from 26th October 2016.. so from October 2016 to March, 2017, total no of days are less than 183 days..

O'canada

Oct 21, 2020
But 4 years starts from 26th October 2016.. so from October 2016 to March, 2017, total no of days are less than 183 days..
The question comes after you became Permanent Resident , Did you stayed in India for more than 6 months ?

Second From last 4 yrs did you stayed in any country for more than 6 months ?

ansh

Aug 2, 2013
The question comes after you became Permanent Resident , Did you stayed in India for more than 6 months ?

Second From last 4 yrs did you stayed in any country for more than 6 months ?
I stayed in India fore more than 6 months after i became PR but in last 4 years, i did not stayed in India for more than 6 months..

O'canada

Oct 21, 2020
I stayed in India fore more than 6 months after i became PR but in last 4 years, i did not stayed in India for more than 6 months..
Then you don't need PCC , according to checklist it says 4 yrs immediately before the date of your application.

Now it makes sense ..earlier i was confused about your timeline

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Then you don't need PCC , according to checklist it says 4 yrs immediately before the date of your application.

Now it makes sense ..earlier i was confused about your timeline
Hi,

Asking on an old post.

I became PR in jan 2018, landed Canada in April 2018 and have not left Canada for a day…
Do I need PCC… plz help

thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

Asking on an old post.

I became PR in jan 2018, landed Canada in April 2018 and have not left Canada for a day…
Do I need PCC… plz help

thanks
If you have not lived outside Canada in one country for more than 180 days in a row in the past 4 years, you don't need a police certificate. You also don't need a police certificate from a country where you have lived for 180 days or more in the past 4 years IF and only IF this was your country of origin before you established PR status in Canada.

So, based on the information you have provided, the answer is NO.

Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years
If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued

• after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
We may request a police certificate at any point during processing, even if you submitted a valid certificate with your application.

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
If you have not lived outside Canada in one country for more than 180 days in a row in the past 4 years, you don't need a police certificate. You also don't need a police certificate from a country where you have lived for 180 days or more in the past 4 years IF and only IF this was your country of origin before you established PR status in Canada.

So, based on the information you have provided, the answer is NO.
Hye,

thanks for your revert. I have the same understanding...if i was in country of origin and landed here directly i should not need one..

few points though --
1. I called IRCC Helpline 2 times, they are saying i would need the PCC ( They seem to be referring to the book forsure)
2. I am not sure if i will get a clear PCC from India as no one lives at that home anymore as i was on rent...

Its been 3.3yrs for me here.....i can wait for another 3 months and then would not need PCC at all, but then that will be wasting time...
Too confused....

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hye,

thanks for your revert. I have the same understanding...if i was in country of origin and landed here directly i should not need one..

few points though --
1. I called IRCC Helpline 2 times, they are saying i would need the PCC ( They seem to be referring to the book forsure)
2. I am not sure if i will get a clear PCC from India as no one lives at that home anymore as i was on rent...

Its been 3.3yrs for me here.....i can wait for another 3 months and then would not need PCC at all, but then that will be wasting time...
Too confused....
Based on the scenario you provided me, you do NOT need a police certificate. IRCC call center was wrong in this particular case.

You'll have to decide for yourself if you'd like to apply now or if you'd like to wait 3 more months.

Good luck!

Reactions: JVS192328

bindhya1021

Aug 10, 2017
Hoping to get a reply to ny query here ..

Since i have stayed outside Canada for more than said days , i have to get a PCC . I plan to return by September and apply for my citizenship. Can i get the PCC now or ahould it be dated after my return to Canada ...

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hoping to get a reply to ny query here ..

Since i have stayed outside Canada for more than said days , i have to get a PCC . I plan to return by September and apply for my citizenship. Can i get the PCC now or ahould it be dated after my return to Canada ...
this seems technical question, however logic says (as dates of travel will be disclosed), you should get it post ur return only (to be on safer side)...
if ur not in rush and can manage with extra 3-4 months delay in citizenship (incase IRCC asks for updated PCC) then take the risk..