Med's Done....
26-08-2019
Passport Req..
15-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2020
LANDED..........
08-01-2020
I came to Canada as an international student with my wife and we are currently on our open work permit for 3 years.

I never left Canada for the past 2 years and 10 months since I came.

I am ready to apply for Express Entry as I have gained 1-year Canadian experience with my current work NOC 6235.

My inquiry is whether I and my wife need to apply for a new police clearance from our home country (The Philippines) or we can use the same old police clearance when we applied for a study permit during our first entry to Canada since we never left Canada.

For other countries that we stayed longer than 6 months, does an old Police clearance suffice or we need to request for a new one if we never went back to that country? Also, is a police clearance from Canada required?

Additionally, since we never left Canada since our initial entry, do we need to do the Medical Exam? Is it wise to take the medical exam in advance?

Please advice. I appreciate all the assistance. Thanks a lot.

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
police certificate is only valid for 1 year from the issue date, so there you go.

you will need a police certificate for each country you have spent more than 6 months , new ones of course . and a police certificate from RCMP is definitely needed .

and yes , you need to do the medical if you haven't done one in the past 12 months. don't do upfront medical , wait for the instruction , that's my personal opinion.

Last edited:

CanadianDream888

Apr 16, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton VO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
03-08-2019
Med's Done....
26-08-2019
Passport Req..
15-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2020
LANDED..........
08-01-2020
police certificate is only valid for 1 year from the issue date, so there you go.

you will need a police certificate for each country you have spent more than 6 months , new ones of course .

and yes , you need to do the medical if you haven't done one in the past 12 months.

** The reason I am confused about the police certificate is because of this post on the IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

As the country, I am staying now is Canada for the past 2 years and 10 months, I am not sure if the text highlighted in blue applies to me.

Date the certificate was issued

For the country where you currently live
The police certificate for the country where you currently live:

• must be issued no more than 6 months before the date you submit your application
  • must not be expired
For any other country
For any other country, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row.

Some countries put expiry dates on their police certificates. If you have a police certificate that expired, include it. We’ll accept it if:

• it was issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row
  • it is not for the country where you currently live

Tayee

Apr 6, 2019
I would just get a new police certificate from your home country.
You don't need to get one for the time you are in Canada, and yes you need to do another medical.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
My inquiry is whether I and my wife need to apply for a new police clearance from our home country (The Philippines) or we can use the same old police clearance when we applied for a study permit during our first entry to Canada since we never left Canada.

You probably obtained the PCCs while you were still in the Philippines, so if that is the case, they would have only been valid for 6 months. You would need new PCCs.

For other countries that we stayed longer than 6 months, does an old Police clearance suffice or we need to request for a new one if we never went back to that country? Also, is a police clearance from Canada required?
If you obtained the PCC after you left the country and have not returned, you do not need new PCCs. There is no one year expiry as far as IRCC is concerned. You can submit the ones you have with your application. Of course, IRCC reserves the right to ask for new ones at any time.

On the other hand, if you obtained them before you left the country - then you would need new ones.

Additionally, since we never left Canada since our initial entry, do we need to do the Medical Exam? Is it wise to take the medical exam in advance?

Yes, you need to complete a new medical exam - the exams for PR are different than for temporary residents. It is up to you when to get it - most people wait until they get the invitation to apply (ITA).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
This is not correct.
Regardless of any expiry date on a PCC, IRCC makes its own rules.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

"Date the certificate was issued
For the country where you currently live
The police certificate for the country where you currently live:
  • must be issued no more than 6 months before the date you submit your application
  • must not be expired
For any other country
For any other country, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row.

Some countries put expiry dates on their police certificates. If you have a police certificate that expired, include it. We’ll accept it if:

• it was issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row
  • it is not for the country where you currently live
An officer may ask for a new one later on."

you will need a police certificate for each country you have spent more than 6 months , new ones of course .
Not correct - see above.

and a police certificate from RCMP is definitely needed .
Also not correct - no PCC for Canada / RCMP certificate is needed. IRCC automatically conducts name-based checks on all applicants. Only if a record is returned on that name, does IRCC request a fingerprint-based RCMP clearance.

Reactions: CanadianDream888