+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certification required?

muxlow

Jan 14, 2011
Hello,

I am new to this forum as well as everything immigration. Hours upon hours of research has resulted in many questions. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, or a silly inquiry, but here I go:

As a resident of the united states trying to be sponsored over to Canada by my soon to be husband, I am unsure if police certification ( correct me if I am wrong but this is fingerprinting?) to submit along with the application papers. On the main immigration website, it says I "may" need to be certified. If I do, do I get it here or in Canada? Also, does the three month wait rule apply (where I cannot submit applications until I have had my police certification for at least a month)?

Thank you much for your time. As you may notice I am very new, but hope that I can find the right help.

Best wishes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You must provide a police certificate for every country you have lived in for six months or more since the age of 18 as part of your application. If you have only lived in the US, then you must provide a certificate from the FBI. You must apply to the FBI directly for this certificate - however the fingerprints can be taken anywhere.

When you submit your application to be sponsored (including the FBI certificate), the FBI certificate cannot be more than three months old.

Hope this helps.

muxlow

Jan 14, 2011
Thank you so much for clearing things up. I cannot believe I thought it was at least three months instead of what it really is. That is nice to know.

Edit: I have found the website on my tiny phone. I have no more questions. You are awesome.

Thank you again. Your help is much appreciated