+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate

sbs8853

Apr 27, 2016
My wife is Korean, in her 30s, and she has spent over 6 months in Austrailia about 9 years ago. Does she need to apply for police certificate of Austrailia even though she has spent most of her adult time in her home country, Korea? Or does she need only Korean and Canadian ones?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
She does not need a Canadian one at all, unless they specifically request it from her later on down the road. Most of the time they do their own checks. If she requires one, they will send you a request that specifically says "RCMP check" later in the process.

Until recently, you did need to submit a certificate for anywhere you lived over 6 months. However, that is not the case anymore. As of Dec 2016, you only need to submit the country you currently live in (if it's been over 6 months) and the country you've spent the majority of your adult life in. However, keep in mind they sometimes do request these other certificates for the other countries down the road, sometimes not... it is hard to predict. Some people choose to obtain the certificate in advance anyway, just in case.

Reactions: sbs8853

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
She does not need a Canadian one at all, unless they specifically request it from her later on down the road. Most of the time they do their own checks. If she requires one, they will send you a request that specifically says "RCMP check" later in the process.

Until recently, you did need to submit a certificate for anywhere you lived over 6 months. However, that is not the case anymore. As of Dec 2016, you only need to submit the country you currently live in (if it's been over 6 months) and the country you've spent the majority of your adult life in. However, keep in mind they sometimes do request these other certificates for the other countries down the road, sometimes not... it is hard to predict. Some people choose to obtain the certificate in advance anyway, just in case.
I would like to say that in my experience, we were requested to submit an RCMP fingerprint report for my partner last year (2017) because he lived in Canada for a year from 2012- 2013 but is in his home country currently. It seemed the majority of people from our VO according to posts on this forum also were requested to submit RCMP fingerprint reports if they lived/are living in Canada for 6 or more months consecutively. Now they also did their own RCMP check on my partner as per our GCMS notes. If you want to know for sure, ask your VO.

Reactions: sbs8853

Onceagain2step

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
I would like to say that in my experience, we were requested to submit an RCMP fingerprint report for my partner last year (2017) because he lived in Canada for a year from 2012- 2013 but is in his home country currently. It seemed the majority of people from our VO according to posts on this forum also were requested to submit RCMP fingerprint reports if they lived/are living in Canada for 6 or more months consecutively. Now they also did their own RCMP check on my partner as per our GCMS notes. If you want to know for sure, ask your VO.
Will CIC request fingerprint and how to have a RCMP if u are in ur home country?

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Will CIC request fingerprint and how to have a RCMP if u are in ur home country?
I have seen posts where they said recently, they now don't REQUIRE RCMP fingerprint reports even for those who lived in Canada 6 months consecutively or more. I am not about to go sifting through info on websites to confirm for myself as I am past this stage now. So maybe now one should just wait to get the request. Having said that, if you have been requested to submit a fingerprint report, you will need to find a place that will take your fingerprints for immigration purposes. It is different for each country. If you are not sure, go to the thread for your specific VO and ask forum members from your country where they got their fingerprints done. My partner is from Chile and he had to go to a specific police station to get a paper copy of his fingerprints. These were then submitted to an accredited company who will took the paper fingerprints and digitized them. (There is a list of accredited company's on the IRCC website if you search up RCMP). They will then forward the digitized fingerprints to the RCMP and then they will do a search on their database and send you the report to whatever address you provide to the company. Hope this helps!