+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

police certificate in Canada

Nov 23, 2015
Dear fellow members!

I am just wondering if it is required to get a police certificate with fingerprints taken? I completed a Police Criminal Records Check performed by York Regional Police but they never asked for fingerprints. Many thanks in advance!

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IRCC will ask your RCMP police check if they need it. Most of the time IRCC checks your criminal record it directly to their shared database. However, if they ask you to submit your rcmp police record check, you will need to provide the one with finger print, Usually agencies provide this. They take your finger print, send it to RCMP and RCMP will send the result to you.

Nov 23, 2015
I see! thank you for your response!!! :) Would you recommend to get the police certificate ready before they ask?

Hansdza said:
IRCC will ask your RCMP police check if they need it. Most of the time IRCC checks your criminal record it directly to their shared database. However, if they ask you to submit your rcmp police record check, you will need to provide the one with finger print, Usually agencies provide this. They take your finger print, send it to RCMP and RCMP will send the result to you.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AFAIK only few people were asked. I would say I won't hurt to get one just in case. Please keep in mind, usually police check certificate is valid or 6 months or 1 year. Not sure though.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
I wouldn't get a police cert from Canada unless you are asked to by CIC. CIC are clear about this

The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed. If the visa office asks you to complete a criminal record check, visit the RCMP website for instructions.
It's very unlikely you will be asked, it has not happened to anyone I know.

Nov 23, 2015
Thank you for your response! Do you mean that it's unlikely for them to ask for Canadian police certificate but they will ask for the one from previously residing country?

devnill said:
I wouldn't get a police cert from Canada unless you are asked to by CIC. CIC are clear about this

It's very unlikely you will be asked, it has not happened to anyone I know.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
positiveenergylittlesun said:
Thank you for your response! Do you mean that it's unlikely for them to ask for Canadian police certificate but they will ask for the one from previously residing country?
They will ask police certificates from every country where you lived more than 6 months since you were 18 yo. They might ask your Canadian police check if based on their initial screening on their shared database they find similarities with other people's profile. So they want to make sure if that person is you or not by asking you to provide them your RCMP police check (with fingerprint).

jfalvitez

Oct 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2017
How long tankes this certificate proccess?