+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police Certificate from mu home country concern

ImmigrantVL

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Hi,

I just read the info posted on cic.gc regarding this question, however, I have not got a satisfactory answer.

My situation:

I came to Canada in August 2013, just after a month I aged 18, and I have not left Canada since then. I know that I will need to obtain my Canadian Police certificate, but not sure if I am in need of the one from my home country in this case. I may come back to my home country for a couple of weeks that is probably going to happen before my PR application.

Do I need a Police certificate from my country?

ImmigrantVL

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Canada is the exception to the 6 month rule.
Thank you for your input! What is the exact reason I do not need a Police check from my home country after I get an ITA? is it because I was below 18 years old and lived there less than 6 months before the maturity age? Or there another reason?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your input! What is the exact reason I do not need a Police check from my home country after I get an ITA? is it because I was below 18 years old and lived there less than 6 months before the maturity age? Or there another reason?
That would've been the case but I am looking at the requirements and it seems they changed the wording once again:

"Police certificates are required upfront and are mandatory for each country (except Canada) where an individual has spent 6 months or more in a row within the last 10 years. The individual does not need to provide one for any period of time before the age of 18."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s07

ImmigrantVL

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
That would've been the case but I am looking at the requirements and it seems they changed the wording once again:

"Police certificates are required upfront and are mandatory for each country (except Canada) where an individual has spent 6 months or more in a row within the last 10 years. The individual does not need to provide one for any period of time before the age of 18."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html#s07
It is exactly what I was looking at. And it seems that I do not need to provide the police certificate due to the fact that I lived in another country only a month after I aged 18. Is that correct?