+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate from Japan

loeleo

Jan 15, 2019
That's great, I will go ahead and open it then - thank you both for the quick response! I don't know how I'd ever get through this application with out this forum!

Rayave

Aug 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am applying while living in Japan, and I have not yet received the letter from IRCC to hand in to the Japanese Police Head Office ...
Do you know how long this is supposed to take ?

Also I am a little bit confused by the meaning of their instructions :

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your application for permanent residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a police certificate.

The "after you send the application for permanent residence" part is supposed to mean once I submit my ITA or the moment one officially enters the pool of candidates ?

Thank you !

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am applying while living in Japan, and I have not yet received the letter from IRCC to hand in to the Japanese Police Head Office ...

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your application for permanent residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a police certificate.

The "after you send the application for permanent residence" part is supposed to mean once I submit my ITA or the moment one officially enters the pool of candidates ?

Thank you !
it means after you officially filed your PR application. IRCC will send you a letter to request Japan PPC. Mostly the letter will come after 3 weeks to a month post your application.

Rayave

Aug 5, 2020
it means after you officially filed your PR application. IRCC will send you a letter to request Japan PPC. Mostly the letter will come after 3 weeks to a month post your application.
Thank you for your reply. Does it mean that it will take an additional 3 weeks or so to start the 6 months review of my profile in order to get my PR ? Or is getting the Police certificate to be included in the 6 months ?

There is also an upload expected on my dashboard for the Japanese police certificate. What should I do in order to get this one cleared, knowing that it should be provided afterwards ?

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Thank you for your reply. Does it mean that it will take an additional 3 weeks or so to start the 6 months review of my profile in order to get my PR ? Or is getting the Police certificate to be included in the 6 months ?

There is also an upload expected on my dashboard for the Japanese police certificate. What should I do in order to get this one cleared, knowing that it should be provided afterwards ?
Yes, it will cost extra time.
However, In someplace you could apply for the PPC without the letter. As you mentioned you are in Japan right now, I guess you could try by going to the police station and ask for it, better bring the ITA letter and the document list with you, explain how you are been invited to apply for Canada PR and why is Japan PPC is a must document for the process. I got it this way in the Vancouver embassy. Good Luck!

Rayave

Aug 5, 2020
Yes, it will cost extra time.
However, In someplace you could apply for the PPC without the letter. As you mentioned you are in Japan right now, I guess you could try by going to the police station and ask for it, better bring the ITA letter and the document list with you, explain how you are been invited to apply for Canada PR and why is Japan PPC is a must document for the process. I got it this way in the Vancouver embassy. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot for your help on this.

I will try my luck, but almost already know the outcome ... Japanese don't speak English at all here, and are blindly following rules. I guess I will have to expect a delay in my application process. It is strange that IRCC is not making the official PPC request available during the 90 days period :/

Also I was wondering, if I can actually manage to get a police certificate before applying to PR, maybe this could not be considered valid since IRCC instructions clearly expect me to provide one after PR submission. Maybe they are trying to get the most recent one in order to leave as few gap as possible for potentially dangerous individuals ?

Or am I just paranoid ? haha

Last edited:

jasonc0408

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks a lot for your help on this.

I will try my luck, but almost already know the outcome ... Japanese don't speak English at all here, and are blindly following rules. I guess I will have to expect a delay in my application process. It is strange that IRCC is not making the official PPC request available during the 90 days period :/

Also I was wondering, if I can actually manage to get a police certificate before applying to PR, maybe this could not be considered valid since IRCC instructions clearly expect me to provide one after PR submission. Maybe they are trying to get the most recent one in order to leave as few gap as possible for potentially dangerous individuals ?

Or am I just paranoid ? haha
it's totally fine to get it beforehand haha

I heard if you're in Japan, you could get the PPC in a week or so. Hence, it's no biggy for you. expect a one or two weeks delay for your application, that's about it.

Why we try to get it before applying is because, for an applicant already in Canada, it takes at least 2 months to get it to mail to the our designated embassy. Good Luck with ur application!

Reactions: Rayave

gtcan19

Sep 11, 2020
Hi everyone,

Thank you !
Don`t wait for the IRCC letter. That will add some extra time in the process. Just submit the certificate along with your application at the beginning. I submitted at the time of my application. I am not sure but many applicant said its mandatory now to submit the certificate at the time of federal application.
First you need to book an appointment. Google the police in your prefectural area. Not a local koban but they usually have a specific office where you do it. You need to bring your passport, residence card, ¥600 ticket (depends upon the prefecture) & letter stating why you need the certificate (just attach any email or any letter stating you need the certificate). I added a letter from my lawyer. They take your finger prints & photo (takes abt 10 min). They will issue the certificate in around a week time in sealed envelope. They said the certificate is issued in English & 4 other languages. They strictly said that I can’t open that sealed envelope & should submit that to the concerned immigration personnel only. Good luck.

Rayave

Aug 5, 2020
Don`t wait for the IRCC letter. That will add some extra time in the process. Just submit the certificate along with your application at the beginning. I submitted at the time of my application. I am not sure but many applicant said its mandatory now to submit the certificate at the time of federal application.
First you need to book an appointment. Google the police in your prefectural area. Not a local koban but they usually have a specific office where you do it. You need to bring your passport, residence card, ¥600 ticket (depends upon the prefecture) & letter stating why you need the certificate (just attach any email or any letter stating you need the certificate). I added a letter from my lawyer. They take your finger prints & photo (takes abt 10 min). They will issue the certificate in around a week time in sealed envelope. They said the certificate is issued in English & 4 other languages. They strictly said that I can’t open that sealed envelope & should submit that to the concerned immigration personnel only. Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your insight !

How is one supposed to submit their PPC if cannot be opened from a sealed envelope ?
Do you think a lawyer is an absolute requisite to even stand a chance on getting my request from Japanese Police approved ?
Also did you apply from Japan directly ?

gtcan19

Sep 11, 2020
Thanks a lot for your insight !

How is one supposed to submit their PPC if cannot be opened from a sealed envelope ?
Do you think a lawyer is an absolute requisite to even stand a chance on getting my request from Japanese Police approved ?
Also did you apply from Japan directly ?
You need to submit the sealed envelop to immigration. They give sealed envelop with hanko on top. If opened then immigration would not accept as they said. I submitted the sealed envelop. I gave the mail print out from Canadian lawyer ( my representative in Canada). Last year (march) i filed application from Japan & received COPR this month but can’t travel due to restriction.

Rayave

Aug 5, 2020
You need to submit the sealed envelop to immigration. They give sealed envelop with hanko on top. If opened then immigration would not accept as they said. I submitted the sealed envelop. I gave the mail print out from Canadian lawyer ( my representative in Canada). Last year (march) i filed application from Japan & received COPR this month but can’t travel due to restriction.
When you say you submitted the sealed envelop to immigration, do you mean digitally via the document upload dashboard ? Or did you send it by physical mail to the Canadian government ?

Rayave

Aug 5, 2020
Hey there !

I am coming back with some juicy news that I hope will be useful for anyone applying to EE from Japan in regards to obtaining the Police Clearance Certificate.

Yesterday I called the Metropolitan Police Department of Tokyo (Sakuradamon station) and asked them if it was ok to come and apply for a Police Clearance certificate, even though I did not have yet the official paper provided by IRCC that would be given AFTER submitting the application for PR.
They told me that if I come with screenshots of the document checklist and my named displayed on the Canadian Government website, it should be enough to get my request granted.

I went there today : they accepted and took my fingerprints !
It will take 2 weeks to receive the official paper.

I have been told in this section that we should not open the sealed envelope received from the Police : this is incorrect as per stated on the official Canadian IRCC website :

"If you are applying online, open the sealed envelope, scan the document and upload it to your file (please keep the original copy in case IRCC requests to see it). "

Hope that helps !

gtcan19

Sep 11, 2020
Hey there !

I am coming back with some juicy news that I hope will be useful for anyone applying to EE from Japan in regards to obtaining the Police Clearance Certificate.

Yesterday I called the Metropolitan Police Department of Tokyo (Sakuradamon station) and asked them if it was ok to come and apply for a Police Clearance certificate, even though I did not have yet the official paper provided by IRCC that would be given AFTER submitting the application for PR.
They told me that if I come with screenshots of the document checklist and my named displayed on the Canadian Government website, it should be enough to get my request granted.

I went there today : they accepted and took my fingerprints !
It will take 2 weeks to receive the official paper.

I have been told in this section that we should not open the sealed envelope received from the Police : this is incorrect as per stated on the official Canadian IRCC website :

"If you are applying online, open the sealed envelope, scan the document and upload it to your file (please keep the original copy in case IRCC requests to see it). "

Hope that helps !
You wrongly understood. Check & read the message again. Don’t open the sealed envelope was told by Japan police which I said to you. When you visit the station again to take your sealed envelope, hopefully they will say same to you as well. Good luck.

Rayave

Aug 5, 2020
Oh ok you have been told from Japanese Police Officers to do like this.
I just wanted to highlight the fact that IRCC is instructing us to do differently, and that is that way that matters!

Thanks a lot for your sharing your experience.