+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Police certificate for the country of PR origin - USA

next_next

Jan 18, 2021
Hi,

We had applied for PR from the US and did a soft landing in Niagara and went back to USA in 2016. We moved for good in 2018. I applied for citizenship but did not provide police certificate from US as it was the country of origin. IRCC is now asking for a police certificate for my time in the US from 2016 to 2018.
Has anybody been in a similar situation? What did you do ?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Regardless of whether someone in this forum answers saying that they've been asked to provide a PCC after they submitted their application (which is probably quite common), what you have to do is, well, to provide the doc IRCC asked for.

Check here for the procedure : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html

If you need to apply from Canada and cannot get your fingerprints taken in US, this could help https://nationalpardon.org/fbi-criminal-background-check/

next_next

Jan 18, 2021
Regardless of whether someone in this forum answers saying that they've been asked to provide a PCC after they submitted their application (which is probably quite common), what you have to do is, well, to provide the doc IRCC asked for.

Check here for the procedure : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/united-states.html

If you need to apply from Canada and cannot get your fingerprints taken in US, this could help https://nationalpardon.org/fbi-criminal-background-check/
Thanks

Amanbaanga

Jul 21, 2017
Hi,

We had applied for PR from the US and did a soft landing in Niagara and went back to USA in 2016. We moved for good in 2018. I applied for citizenship but did not provide police certificate from US as it was the country of origin. IRCC is now asking for a police certificate for my time in the US from 2016 to 2018.
You do need a PCC since you have stayed in US for more than 6 months after becoming PR
Hi,

you do need a PCC since you were in US for more than 183 days in the last 4 years.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi,

If you didn't go back to the US for more than 6 months after landing, then they probably wouldn't have asked you for PCC. But you did, and that's why they asked you for one for your citizenship application

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

You dont need as US was the country of origin for you where you applied for PR from.
But nowadays it takes just few days. So if at all you dont want any query 100% later you apply, then get the pcc few months before you apply.

Amanbaanga

Jul 21, 2017
Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years

You dont need as US was the country of origin for you where you applied for PR from.
But nowadays it takes just few days. So if at all you dont want any query 100% later you apply, then get the pcc few months before you apply.

Amanbaanga

Jul 21, 2017
If he had stayed here after landing they would have not asked him since it’s his country of origin. But since he went back after landing and stayed there for 2 years he does need a PCC.