+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Points for experience beyond 3 years' worth

thoreau911

Apr 12, 2015
I noticed that on the tool to recalculate your points (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp) CIC only gives points for up to three years of work experience.

Is this accurate? In other words, does my experience beyond three years not count for points?

I would really appreciate your input as I have more documentation to prove some jobs versus other jobs, so if some don't count for points, I might leave them out altogether.

Thanks in advance!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Experience beyond 3 years doesn't get any incremental points from CIC under EE. In other words, points awarded under Human Capital and Skills Transferability MAX out for having work experience of 3 years.

thoreau911

Apr 12, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Experience beyond 3 years doesn't get any incremental points from CIC under EE. In other words, points awarded under Human Capital and Skills Transferability MAX out for having work experience of 3 years.
Thank you very much for your reply. One follow up question if you don't mind:

I have all documentation for two jobs that add up to more than 3 years, thus maxing out my experience points. In between, I worked for two years somewhere else but I have no documentation to prove it.

What is the best way to reflect this in my application? The ITA documentation upload website asks for proof for every job. Thanks

thoreau911

Apr 12, 2015
dan_and said:
Just remember while experience of more than 3 years does not result in more CRS points, the FSW points system only gives you maximum points for 6 years or more:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

Before you remove any experience from your profile, make sure you still have more than 67 points.

The above is obviously irrelevant if you're not applying under FSW.
Thank you Dan. I am actually applying under FSW so this is highly relevant.

Can you please clarify "more than 67 points" for what subsection? Right now I have a total of 470 points, which is why I was invited to apply because the cutoff for ITA was 469 during my draw. Does this mean that because 470 is more than 67, this is irrelevant?

Sorry for the confusion.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thoreau911 said:
Thank you Dan. I am actually applying under FSW so this is highly relevant.

Can you please clarify "more than 67 points" for what subsection? Right now I have a total of 470 points, which is why I was invited to apply because the cutoff for ITA was 469 during my draw. Does this mean that because 470 is more than 67, this is irrelevant?

Sorry for the confusion.
Dan is correct - EE is the umbrella program under which FSW is one of the streams of immigration. Look at the link Dan sent and calculate your points on a scale of 100 and you should score at least 67. Given that you have received an ITA, this becomes even more relevant for you to check. Your score is definitely above 67 else your profile would've been rendered ineligible upfront. But your work experience might have got you some points to push your score beyond 67 and if that is the case, it has to be substantiated when you submit documents after ITA.

Start with the link Dan shared and check this one as well. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/index.asp?v=post

thoreau911

Apr 12, 2015
dan_and said:
No, in your case it's not irrelevant.

There are two points systems operating.

1) FSW points system to qualify under FSW (required to create an eligible Express Entry profile). The threshold for qualification is 67 points.
2) CRS points which determine whether or not you receive an ITA

If you make changes to your profile, you must still meet the relevant thresholds in both points systems.

Follow the link in my previous post and calculate your points. Your existing profile must have given you 67+ points, otherwise your profile wouldn't have been eligible. But if you remove work experience, you may drop below the threshold.

Makes sense?
Crystal clear, Dan. Thank you. In my case I should still be good, but great catch.

I'm gonna spell it out in case someone has questions. Maybe it will be useful for them:

My total FSW points go from 78 in my original submission (with 6+ years experience) to 74 (with 3 years experience). So I am still above 67 for FSW. Then, because CRS only cares about three years of experience, my CRS points do not drop if I removed the jobs for which I was not able to procure documentation.

Going back to my original question, are there any best practices as to how to upload said work periods where I have no documentation to back it up? (Albeit for which I expect no FSW or CRS credit)

thoreau911

Apr 12, 2015
dan_and said:
In my profile, I went to the trouble of getting documents for each job I had, even if I didn't get any points for it.

Forum members have suggested to delete the irrelevant jobs in the work experience section and list them in the personal history section only. I don't know if this has worked for anyone though.

Alternatively, can you just provide a letter of explanation why you can't get a reference letter for the job? Then submit tax records, payslips or contracts to supplement.
Understood, thank you Dan.

I've been doing the same thing, at least just to have spare points in case something goes wrong. But I have some work experience in South America from several years ago that I have been completely unable to get any documentation for -- lost touch with (now defunct) employer and did not save any of the tax paperwork. Needless to say, it's not available electronically.

Only "proof" that I have for this job was the numerous employment history checks I have gone through subsequently, both for applying to grad school as for jobs. They were able to verify my employment then, because the company was still around.

I was thinking about using each slot that the CIC website provides to upload supporting docs for each job to upload a PDF explaining why I was not able to secure any documentation, then referencing to these documents in my general letter of explanation. Would love to hear whether there would be any issues with this approach.

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Dan, just wondering if you have made your application.

Smgawt

May 14, 2017
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering. For the 3 years + to be valid, does the work experience have to be within the last ten years?

A1554069

Star Member
May 2, 2018
My question is that I claimed points for work experience in my EE as follows:
Company A: Aug 2013 to Nov 2014
Company B: Dec 2014 to Aug 2016
Company C: Oct 2017 to Aug 2018
Current Company: Sept 2018 to Present
Now Post ITA, I am having trouble getting refernece letter for current work experience.
If I move my current work experience to 'personal history', my CRS as per preview score is the same.
So my question is that with 3 years 10 months of experience from first 3 companies, I would have the same CRS score?