Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Same as when you call the message plays "the agent doesn't know more than what your application status shows online" while I'm reality they have a lot more visibility than most people would think.

Again, it's not a debate. I shared what I think works and it's up to the individual to do it or leave it. Also, CBP entry exit is only for POE in the United States and not other international POEs which I am sure is not the only record a lot of applicants would require and hence, you will have too many records.

But yes, I would attach CBP record too. It can be obtained under FOIA if anyone's curious.
This ain't no debate. Its cut and straight clear here.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

Yes, I did say that, its only applicable to US travelers. No need of FOIA request, i94 travel history is readily available online (upto 100 entries).
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

No, I agree with you. But what I don't understand is why they say that we should not try to get CBSA entry/exit report.

Dec 4, 2020
No, I agree with you. But what I don't understand is why they say that we should not try to get CBSA entry/exit report.
Probably to reduce the extra work as the workflow most likely triggers an entry/exit request from CBSA automatically. It's a deterrent but I am 99.99% certain it has zero impact on application processing time. Again, it's my view drawn from my personal experience and a few people I have given advice to.
But think about it, I am talking pre application request to CBSA for record not mid or post submission.

Dec 4, 2020
This ain't no debate. Its cut and straight clear here.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

Yes, I did say that, its only applicable to US travelers. No need of FOIA request, i94 travel history is readily available online (upto 100 entries).
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
Well good for you. I am posting for new applicants who want to try my recommendations and experience for themselves so this is not a play by book method so good luck to you but let others make their own decisions. Lol

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Haven't been active on the forum lately but figured I'll share a few pointers for new applicants. Please note these are my recommendations and might help your application move faster but use your own discretion.

- If you had to provide criminal record check(FP) during your PR processing, you might want to consider doing a FP before submission of your application and attach the results. Use your UCI.

- Request a copy of entry/exit record from CBSA before applying and fill out your presence calculator precisely with that record. You can also attach a copy of this to your application.

- Request your case notes every 2 months through the process to stay updated with where the application is.

- Don't bother CSIS unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

- Save a copy of your complete application as you might have to refer to it later in the process.

Good luck!
Thanks, by "criminal record check(FP) during your PR processing", did you mean the ones taken for other country's police certificate? (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html)

When i applied for PR, i didn't have to give FP in PR application. The only FP i had to take was for FBI's PCC and another one at landing (one of those machines).

Dec 4, 2020
Thanks, by "criminal record check(FP) during your PR processing", did you mean the ones taken for other country's police certificate? (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html)

When i applied for PR, i didn't have to give FP in PR application. The only FP i had to take was for FBI's PCC and another one at landing (one of those machines).
No prob. It's the certified canadian criminal record check which IRCC requests from some applicants. If they didn't ask for it during your PR application, you most likely don't need it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/canada.html

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/types-criminal-background-checks

Reactions: Samoinp

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Haven't been active on the forum lately but figured I'll share a few pointers for new applicants. Please note these are my recommendations and might help your application move faster but use your own discretion.

- If you had to provide criminal record check(FP) during your PR processing, you might want to consider doing a FP before submission of your application and attach the results. Use your UCI.

- Request a copy of entry/exit record from CBSA before applying and fill out your presence calculator precisely with that record. You can also attach a copy of this to your application.

- Request your case notes every 2 months through the process to stay updated with where the application is.

- Don't bother CSIS unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

- Save a copy of your complete application as you might have to refer to it later in the process.

Good luck!
Great tips!
No, these are not all great tips. Some are misleading or miss the point entirely. Some contradict instructions. Some suggest making unnecessary requests with a frequency that would constitute a clear abuse of the system, which will not only impose unnecessary costs on Canadian taxpayers but just as importantly tend to make it slower and more difficult for those who have a legitimate use.

Yeah, for sure, applicants should make and carefully retain a complete copy of precisely what they submit. Like filing tax returns.

But some of this is just plain WRONG.

In particular:

Request a copy of entry/exit record from CBSA before applying and fill out your presence calculator precisely with that record.

NO. Apart from the obvious, as noted by @Mexontario, that IRCC explicitly instructs prospective applicants NOT to do this, CBSA does not necessarily have the most reliable record of an individual's travel history. The one best source for this information is someone who was there each and every time and thus in a position to keep a complete and perfect record: the PR himself or herself. There is no shortcut for this. The applicant is the only person in the whole world who for sure can make a complete and accurate record of the dates the applicant exited Canada and dates the applicant entered Canada.

The CBSA records are rarely wrong, but there can be omissions, especially in regards to dates of exit. If they wrong, and it happens, that is typically something IRCC officials will readily recognize. So if the applicant reports the same erroneous information, high probability IRCC sees that and recognizes the applicant's reporting is NOT accurate, not reliable. For omissions in the CBSA records, and these definitely happen, these are likely to be more obvious, and the failure to report dates of exit or entry outright risks the consequences for misrepresentation and, at the least, tends to significantly compromise the applicant's credibility. The importance of the applicant's credibility cannot be overstated.

The main thing is that IRCC expects the applicant to keep these records, and to completely and accurately report this information.

To the extent this "tip" suggests farming out responsibility for keeping these records and reporting them accurately, it really misses the point.

Sure, some applicants, particularly those with more frequent travel, those whose record-keeping might not be as good as it should, before applying they might be more comfortable obtaining the CBSA travel history and cross-checking what their own records show with the CBSA records (likewise other sources, such as U.S. records), to do a more complete job verifying the information they submit. This is a back-up, IF NEEDED. Of course Canadians, including Canadian PRs, can request personal records from CBSA. It is not prohibited just because it is contrary to the instructions. The much better tip, however, is to make sure to keep a complete and accurate record for oneself.

Ultimately the responsibility for accurately reporting travel is absolutely on the applicant. If, for example, for whatever reason, however it happens, if in the course of reviewing the application IRCC comes across evidence the PR was outside Canada during a time the PR reports being in Canada, even if that is entirely consistent with CBSA records, that is going to be a problem. And relying on the CBSA records may be enough of an excuse to avoid jail time, maybe enough of an excuse to avoid the application being denied on the grounds of misrepresentation, but short of convincing evidence disproving whatever IRCC discovered showing the PR to be outside Canada, it is at least going to send the application into full blown presence case processing and eventually, year or two or more down the road, a hearing with a Citizenship Judge. I realize most applicants do not need to worry about this. But the best insurance, by far, is to be sure to keep a complete and accurate record for oneself and report travel history based on that.

"- Request your case notes every 2 months through the process to stay updated with where the application is."​

This one might warrant a report to the forum moderators, or the proprietors of the website, or someone might even be inclined reporting what the website is supporting to the responsible authorities . . . sure, it's not like advocating violence, or an outright crime, but this is clearly advocating an abuse of the system . . . and there is increasing indications this has been posing a heavy burden on the government. Sooner or later this sort of *advice* is bound to get some attention and . . . well . . . I am not in the forecasting business.

Checking the mailbox, email, and occasionally eCas, is all the applicant needs to do to stay updated with the application's status. Advocating overt abuse of a public resource is over the line. I realize that obtaining GCMS notes is a favoured hobby among more than a few in this forum. Once in awhile is one thing. Unnecessary, mostly useless, but not everyone can be expected to be entirely reasonable. So trying to stem that tide is wailing against the wind. But advocating making the request periodically, let alone so frequently as every two months, is just plain over the line, by a lot.

There are times when inquires should be made. Generally, however, for the vast majority of applicants there will NEVER be any need to request a copy of GCMS records. And those records almost never reveal any information an applicant can actually use. Again, with exceptions.

It is too bad there is not a reason-based discussion in the forum which could help applicants identify when the ATIP request process is an appropriate proactive action to take, for those who really do need to be more proactive and for whom these inquiries could help them navigate their case. Oh well.

Dec 4, 2020
No, these are not all great tips. Some are misleading or miss the point entirely. Some contradict instructions. Some suggest making unnecessary requests with a frequency that would constitute a clear abuse of the system, which will not only impose unnecessary costs on Canadian taxpayers but just as importantly tend to make it slower and more difficult for those who have a legitimate use.

Yeah, for sure, applicants should make and carefully retain a complete copy of precisely what they submit. Like filing tax returns.

But some of this is just plain WRONG.

In particular:

Request a copy of entry/exit record from CBSA before applying and fill out your presence calculator precisely with that record.

NO. Apart from the obvious, as noted by @Mexontario, that IRCC explicitly instructs prospective applicants NOT to do this, CBSA does not necessarily have the most reliable record of an individual's travel history. The one best source for this information is someone who was there each and every time and thus in a position to keep a complete and perfect record: the PR himself or herself. There is no shortcut for this. The applicant is the only person in the whole world who for sure can make a complete and accurate record of the dates the applicant exited Canada and dates the applicant entered Canada.

The CBSA records are rarely wrong, but there can be omissions, especially in regards to dates of exit. If they wrong, and it happens, that is typically something IRCC officials will readily recognize. So if the applicant reports the same erroneous information, high probability IRCC sees that and recognizes the applicant's reporting is NOT accurate, not reliable. For omissions in the CBSA records, and these definitely happen, these are likely to be more obvious, and the failure to report dates of exit or entry outright risks the consequences for misrepresentation and, at the least, tends to significantly compromise the applicant's credibility. The importance of the applicant's credibility cannot be overstated.

The main thing is that IRCC expects the applicant to keep these records, and to completely and accurately report this information.

To the extent this "tip" suggests farming out responsibility for keeping these records and reporting them accurately, it really misses the point.

Sure, some applicants, particularly those with more frequent travel, those whose record-keeping might not be as good as it should, before applying they might be more comfortable obtaining the CBSA travel history and cross-checking what their own records show with the CBSA records (likewise other sources, such as U.S. records), to do a more complete job verifying the information they submit. This is a back-up, IF NEEDED. Of course Canadians, including Canadian PRs, can request personal records from CBSA. It is not prohibited just because it is contrary to the instructions. The much better tip, however, is to make sure to keep a complete and accurate record for oneself.

Ultimately the responsibility for accurately reporting travel is absolutely on the applicant. If, for example, for whatever reason, however it happens, if in the course of reviewing the application IRCC comes across evidence the PR was outside Canada during a time the PR reports being in Canada, even if that is entirely consistent with CBSA records, that is going to be a problem. And relying on the CBSA records may be enough of an excuse to avoid jail time, maybe enough of an excuse to avoid the application being denied on the grounds of misrepresentation, but short of convincing evidence disproving whatever IRCC discovered showing the PR to be outside Canada, it is at least going to send the application into full blown presence case processing and eventually, year or two or more down the road, a hearing with a Citizenship Judge. I realize most applicants do not need to worry about this. But the best insurance, by far, is to be sure to keep a complete and accurate record for oneself and report travel history based on that.

"- Request your case notes every 2 months through the process to stay updated with where the application is."​

This one might warrant a report to the forum moderators, or the proprietors of the website, or someone might even be inclined reporting what the website is supporting to the responsible authorities . . . sure, it's not like advocating violence, or an outright crime, but this is clearly advocating an abuse of the system . . . and there is increasing indications this has been posing a heavy burden on the government. Sooner or later this sort of *advice* is bound to get some attention and . . . well . . . I am not in the forecasting business.

Checking the mailbox, email, and occasionally eCas, is all the applicant needs to do to stay updated with the application's status. Advocating overt abuse of a public resource is over the line. I realize that obtaining GCMS notes is a favoured hobby among more than a few in this forum. Once in awhile is one thing. Unnecessary, mostly useless, but not everyone can be expected to be entirely reasonable. So trying to stem that tide is wailing against the wind. But advocating making the request periodically, let alone so frequently as every two months, is just plain over the line, by a lot.

There are times when inquires should be made. Generally, however, for the vast majority of applicants there will NEVER be any need to request a copy of GCMS records. And those records almost never reveal any information an applicant can actually use. Again, with exceptions.

It is too bad there is not a reason-based discussion in the forum which could help applicants identify when the ATIP request process is an appropriate proactive action to take, for those who really do need to be more proactive and for whom these inquiries could help them navigate their case. Oh well.
LOL. Great essay but most of it is PURE garbage.

Even if CBSA records are erroneous, that's the primary record IRCC uses to compare and establish the physical presence. It's common sense imo to have your application consistent with it so you don't miss anything and above all, if you are not crossing borders illegally your record will always be accurate. I have made several day trips across the border and every single entry in to Canada is precisely documented so the statement that "CBSA records may not be accurate" alone puts the credibility of your whole "essay" at risk. Also, there is no such thing as an "exit record" afaik.

I have laid out what I believe works the best and smoothens application processing.

And all the talk about abuse, the whole crying about wasted tax dollars - save it for somewhere else because there are applicants here who have been waiting for months. Maybe it's for the good if the system gets overwhelmed so the govt can acknowledge and rectify. Out of all the immigration applications, citizenship should be the least complicated and fastest because the applicant is already established in Canada.

As far as "reporting to authorities" go right ahead because NONE of this is ILLEGAL. IRCC "recommends" a lot of things but those are not laws. Any retaliation to a citizenship application because of the fact that applicant requested a CBSA record will put a lot more at risk for IRCC than you can understand. And last but not the least Access to Information is a RIGHT in Canada.

This post literally reminds me of another thread I read a while ago, there was someone who got their citizenship application processed in 3 months during the pandemic and when tried to share their experience got roasted by these same members. Lol. To end the conversation let me rub this on your faces - My citizenship application was processed in less than 3 months, you read it right.

Reactions: A_S and CanEuro

CanEuro

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020

Even if CBSA records are erroneous, that's the primary record IRCC uses to compare and establish the physical presence. It's common sense imo to have your application consistent with it so you don't miss anything and above all, if you are not crossing borders illegally your record will always be accurate. I have made several day trips across the border and every single entry in to Canada is precisely documented so the statement that "CBSA records may not be accurate" alone puts the credibility of your whole "essay" at risk. Also, there is no such thing as an "exit record" afaik.

I have laid out what I believe works the best and smoothens application processing.

And all the talk about abuse, the whole crying about wasted tax dollars - save it for somewhere else because there are applicants here who have been waiting for months. Maybe it's for the good if the system gets overwhelmed so the govt can acknowledge and rectify. Out of all the immigration applications, citizenship should be the least complicated and fastest because the applicant is already established in Canada.

As far as "reporting to authorities" go right ahead because NONE of this is ILLEGAL. IRCC "recommends" a lot of things but those are not laws. Any retaliation to a citizenship application because of the fact that applicant requested a CBSA record will put a lot more at risk for IRCC than you can understand. And last but not the least Access to Information is a RIGHT in Canada.

This post literally reminds me of another thread I read a while ago, there was someone who got their citizenship application processed in 3 months during the pandemic and when tried to share their experience got roasted by these same members. Lol. To end the conversation let me rub this on your faces - My citizenship application was processed in less than 3 months, you read it right.
Wow that's super amazing brother 3 months is super fast .. Can you please provide what extra paperwork you provided to IRCC?

Thank you so much for you valuable input

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Wow that's super amazing brother 3 months is super fast .. Can you please provide what extra paperwork you provided to IRCC?

Thank you so much for you valuable input
Urgent request can finish within few months hence cant be compared with regular processing.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019

You see them crying abuse of the system or tax payer money when immigrants do this but they will never say anything when IRCC's agent abuse the system or abuse the tax payer money instead they will always find an excuse for them.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Since @citizenship.enthusiast didn't mention that it was urgent processing I assume it's regular process.
Correct, even i was wondering how. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/has-anyone-ordered-gcms-notes-recently.713391/page-12#post-9416163
We dont even get AOR within 3 months and after that we have background check which usually takes few/more months and afterwards online test/interview etc hence its impossible to have it completed in regular processing.

Reactions: CanEuro

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Since @citizenship.enthusiast didn't mention that it was urgent processing I assume it's regular process.
Correct, even i was wondering how. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/has-anyone-ordered-gcms-notes-recently.713391/page-12#post-9416163
We dont even get AOR within 3 months and after that we have background check which usually takes few/more months and afterwards online test/interview etc hence its impossible to have it completed in regular processing.
@citizenship.enthusiast applied for urgent processing. The OP had a paper application first. S/he withdrew the paper application because it wasn't going anywhere and then applied online and requested urgent processing. The application just breezed through and the application was complete pretty quickly.

The reason why this might have happened is because when the OP had submitted the paper application, BG checks would have been completed. When the OP withdrew and submitted a new online application, IRCC/CBSA/CSIS wouldn't have had to do BG checks again because the clearances obtained for the previous application would have still been valid. So, the application went straight from submission > AOR > File Transfer > Test > Oath.

Even then, 3 months seems like an unrealistically short processing time for citizenship applications.

Reactions: harirajmohan
Dec 4, 2020
You see them crying abuse of the system or tax payer money when immigrants do this but they will never say anything when IRCC's agent abuse the system or abuse the tax payer money instead they will always find an excuse for them.
Exactly. Lol. The sad thing though is that the people who cry about "wasted federal dollars" are mostly the people who went through the process and are now citizens so they really don't care. I suggest unconventional ways but you can only win and not lose as worst which could happen is IRCC will not pay attention to what additional stuff you have provided and do their own thing but buddy took it to a while different level by declaring it illegal, abusive and what not.

The wait made me anxious, hurt my productivity as I would check the tracker almost 100 times a day, that feeling of frustration, the disappointment, the fear you might have made an error and application will be rejected, etc etc... I am sure I'm not the only one who experienced this.

The whole process lacks transparency which is understandable to some extent but again these are PRs who are applying for citizenship after meeting the requirements so it's extremely unfair imo to keep them waiting for months to provide a decision. Covid or not IRCC needs to get it's act together which probably would never happen tho.

Either ways, I'm done with this forum. Good luck to everyone and I would say do what makes more sense for you. Don't get discouraged by the naysayers, some of them have no idea what they talk about as their experience is from reading posts and observing others because they went through the process probably a decade ago.

I think it was @Humanshado who said risk takers are history makers! :)