+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Point calculation for work experience through maternity leave

Njn

May 4, 2020
Hi, i am very confused of calculating points based on my work experience. Would really appreciate if anybody could shed any light on this or share one’s experience-
So after working for around 5 months full time,i started my maternity leave for 40 weeks (~9 months). While i had my extended contract to work even after my mat leave I decided not to go back to work. So what should my work experience be- 5 months or (5+9=14)months? Thanks in advance

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
As long as you were still on company payroll, the maternity leave will count towards work experience.

Reactions: Njn

OldBoy31

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Hi, i am very confused of calculating points based on my work experience. Would really appreciate if anybody could shed any light on this or share one’s experience-
So after working for around 5 months full time,i started my maternity leave for 40 weeks (~9 months). While i had my extended contract to work even after my mat leave I decided not to go back to work. So what should my work experience be- 5 months or (5+9=14)months? Thanks in advance
Please get legal advice on this.
Since you did not go back to work after the leave. It's not counted as continuous employment with same employer and hence the 40 weeks mat leave may not be counted.
Also if you left Canada in those 40 weeks, then that would be another issue.

Manpreetkaur864

Feb 23, 2020
hi guys
Right now i am in canada and i have one year CEC. But duting this period I was on maternity leave for 2 months and returned back to same employer so these experience will count? I was on EI on those 2 months. My employer gave me reference letter for 1 year which is including these 2 months. Is there will be any issue? Expert please advice

Manpreetkaur864

Feb 23, 2020
hi guys
Right now i am in canada and i have one year CEC. But duting this period I was on maternity leave for 2 months and returned back to same employer so these experience will count? I was on EI on those 2 months. My employer gave me reference letter for 1 year which is including these 2 months. Is there will be any issue? Expert please advice
And he didnt mentioned anything about my maternity leave on reference letter. I had salary slips and T4 and reference letter

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
And he didnt mentioned anything about my maternity leave on reference letter. I had salary slips and T4 and reference letter
Your maternity will be evident based on pay period and you claiming EI so I would not try to hide it or you could end up being accused of misrepresentation. If your employer declared that you have been working for 12 continuous months but you were off for 2 months on EI mat leave that is misrepresenting the situation.