PoF for Landing

g90

Sep 26, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi guys,

I am from India and am preparing for landing in Canada in early July (Recently got my PPR on May 20). But I am quite confused about the proof of funds at the time of landing. Some say it’s necessary to carry cash, travel cheques, DDs etc., while some say bank statements will work. I’m planning to bring about $5000 only in cash.

So my question is if I bring fresh statements of same FDs I used at the time of AoR, will they serve my purpose or will the Immigration Officer ask for physical funds?

I have a feeling if those statements got me my application approved, then they will also work here. I will be transferring these funds later on when I open an account in a Canadian bank. Am I correct? I have not used a single penny out of my funds since AoR. So will the statements work or not?

Anyone who has recently landed and used statements from home country bank, please guide.

Any experts or having any experience regarding this issue, please help. I’m very confused and have not found a stable answer after searching a lot on this forum. And I don’t want my pleasant experience of first landing in Canada to become a bitter memory.

So @legalfalcon @derkdsou @USProgrammer please help.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I'm not qualified to answer this as I haven't landed, but I'd be interested to know the answer. I recommend you read @northern sunshine's extensively detailed account of landing at YYZ; I'm sure you will find it useful: Landing Experience at YYZ.
Thank you! :)

OP-- Cash is not necessary. You only need to show evidence that you still have access to adequate funds, for which a bank statement is usually fine, for reasons as you described. You can click the link provided above to view my entire landing experience, but to summarize the POF part, the officer asked how much money I had with me and I thought he meant cash only, so I said I only had maybe $200. He looked concerned and pointed out that in my application I had said I had more, which is how I realized he meant all my funds. I explained that the rest of my money was in a bank account in the US that I still had access to, and he nodded and said he'd put the same number I had put on my application (even though I had more now). I pulled out the statement I had brought with me but he said he didn't need to see it.

abhi_001

Jun 15, 2018
Hi guys,

I am from India and am preparing for landing in Canada in early July (Recently got my PPR on May 20). But I am quite confused about the proof of funds at the time of landing. Some say it’s necessary to carry cash, travel cheques, DDs etc., while some say bank statements will work. I’m planning to bring about $5000 only in cash.

So my question is if I bring fresh statements of same FDs I used at the time of AoR, will they serve my purpose or will the Immigration Officer ask for physical funds?

I have a feeling if those statements got me my application approved, then they will also work here. I will be transferring these funds later on when I open an account in a Canadian bank. Am I correct? I have not used a single penny out of my funds since AoR. So will the statements work or not?

Anyone who has recently landed and used statements from home country bank, please guide.

Any experts or having any experience regarding this issue, please help. I’m very confused and have not found a stable answer after searching a lot on this forum. And I don’t want my pleasant experience of first landing in Canada to become a bitter memory.

So @legalfalcon @derkdsou @USProgrammer please help.

Hey,

I am also in the same boat and planning to land in Canada during July 2022 on PR. How was your experience w.r.t POF while doing first landing at YYZ. How did you manage to carry funds eventually. Did you wire funds later on after landing in Canada?

I am also resident Indian as of now. How can I transfer money from India to Canada after landing with minimal transaction charges?

Could you please help

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
Hey,

I am also in the same boat and planning to land in Canada during July 2022 on PR. How was your experience w.r.t POF while doing first landing at YYZ. How did you manage to carry funds eventually. Did you wire funds later on after landing in Canada?

I am also resident Indian as of now. How can I transfer money from India to Canada after landing with minimal transaction charges?

Could you please help
Transferring money should be relatively straightforward (though I would check Indian regulations to see if there are any gotchas such as documentary requirements or limits).

I would not focus too much on transaction fees - as lower fees are likely compensated by disadvantageous exchange rates.

I used two ways to transfer money from Singapore - one straight from my bank DBS and one through a service called transferwise (now rebranded to wise). I transferred money in a few batches - and compared the final sum to in each case to decide. The process with transferwise had a few more steps, so if the difference was small I went with the bank. Transferwise was sometimes a fair bit better. My bank (Scotiabank) also charges me 10 CAD for each deposit, wasn't bothered enough to see if this is the case with other banks or of there is a way to waive this.

My advice would be to do some homework and find a few candidate means. If you are paranoid, you can try small transfers to test how that they work (higher fees but you get peace of mind).