+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

POF for landing - Asivad

lovesumi

Star Member
Sep 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Asivad and Other Seniors,

Some people are saying Indian Bank statements won't work as POF for landing.
Can you guys confirm it. They are saying to open account in canadian bank or get traveller cheque.
If they are correct, does it mean virtually emptying my indian bank account and carrying all 20k CAD as TC :eek:

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What worked for IRCC will work at landing - recently dated versions of those papers would work. People are misinformed, looking at 6 year old posts or plain paranoid.

Mar 10, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
What worked for IRCC will work at landing - recently dated versions of those papers would work. People are misinformed, looking at 6 year old posts or plain paranoid.
Asivad refers to Qorax's post when he says 6 years old: http colon //www dot canadavisa dot com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/proof-of-landing-funds-t39318.0 dot html

Hi Asivad,

Can you please give more details on the more latest happenings that would invalidate Qorax? INR is still not a developed world currency and India still does not have the first-world stature. There are still chances for a random CBSA officer to question an Indian bank statement as doubtful, isn't it?

As far as I've read, only negotiable instruments are "carryable" funds. Others, such as stocks, listed in the below link, give rise to many open questions. Can I hold Indian stocks that are worth 15k and show demat account statements as proof of funds?

I will be really elated if there is any link that says any bank statements are okay to be shown. It is a big pain to convert 18k cad just before flying.

http colon //settlement dot org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/landing-in-canada/how-do-i-bring-money-into-canada-proof-of-funds/

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lelieuplusfroid said:
Asivad refers to Qorax's post when he says 6 years old: http colon //www dot canadavisa dot com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/proof-of-landing-funds-t39318.0 dot html

Hi Asivad,

Can you please give more details on the more latest happenings that would invalidate Qorax? INR is still not a developed world currency and India still does not have the first-world stature. There are still chances for a random CBSA officer to question an Indian bank statement as doubtful, isn't it?

No. As I said earlier, what worked for IRCC will work at landing. In addition to that, you may be asked for POF at landing. Not everyone gets asked - I wasn't. But I'm not going to generalize from that example hence I maintain that you may be asked for POF at landing and, at that moment, what worked for IRCC will work - you'll need recently dated documents though.

As far as I've read, only negotiable instruments are "carryable" funds. Others, such as stocks, listed in the below link, give rise to many open questions. Can I hold Indian stocks that are worth 15k and show demat account statements as proof of funds?

I repeat, what worked for IRCC will work at landing as POF. Stocks (or other assets including property, vehicles, jewelry etc) don't work for IRCC so they won't work at landing either. You are still free to bring these assets OVER AND ABOVE the required amount of settlement funds but these won't be an acceptable substitute for POF. You would need bank statements proving that you have the required amount available in a Canadian or non-Canadian bank, that the assets aren't unnecessarily volatile (some countries have poorer banking standards, India isn't one of those), that they belong exclusively to you and that they aren't borrowed from anywhere. At landing, I don't expect an officer to interrogate you on the 'borrowing' aspects because IRCC covers that at their end but it doesn't hurt to carry bank statements showing the funds in your name. The other things that would work are travel cards, drafts in your name payable at a Canadian bank and USD/CAD currency - because all of these are readily convertible into CAD and there is no ambiguity as to their value.

I will be really elated if there is any link that says any bank statements are okay to be shown. It is a big pain to convert 18k cad just before flying.

The purpose of asking for settlement funds at the port of entry is to ensure that you can survive for 6 months or more in Canada without an income. In such cases, prudence declares that one carries money into Canada in a manner which is least volatile. Stocks are volatile assets. Funds in the bank aren't. I would recommend that you either open a Canadian bank account from India or ask your bank if they have Canadian operations so that you can easily transfer the money at a later date at your convenience. Documentation supporting any of these activities will also be convincing enough at landing - you don't have to carry 18,000 CAD in person in any form.

http colon //settlement dot org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/landing-in-canada/how-do-i-bring-money-into-canada-proof-of-funds/

Mar 10, 2016
From the Ontario settlement site whose link I gave above.

You can bring money into Canada in the form of:

Cash
Securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills)
Negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bank drafts, cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders)
Transfer of funds between your bank and a Canadian bank
It appears the site is badly written. Neither it says what is the minimum to be carried nor says how it should be carried.

Asivad - Your thoughts on POF at landing are at odds with what is generally mentioned in this forum. Apart from Indian bank statements, another example in Travel Cards. People here usually discourage forex travel cards as POF. I have a travel card from ICICI and I can even get a statement in ICICI letter head that shows CAD balance from that card. But still there are posts from Qorax, steaky and other veterans that say forex cards are not a valid POF.

I understand your logic behind the purpose of POF.. ready availability of CAD funds to settle in Canada. Forex card definitely serve this purpose since we can withdraw cash in an ATM with that. So by logic, it should be accepted.

Can we write to CBSA or any other pre-arrival government settlement agency to verify if INR statements and Forex cards are acceptable at POE? Do you have a suggestion who to write

Panky26

Feb 2, 2016
Hello guys..
New to this forum.
I have fixed diposits, around some of it in my own name solely and remaining in joint account with my father where I am second nominee.
I am single unmarried with no common law partner
So in my case Can this Fixed diposts where I am second nomination to my father be considered as proof of funds?? The fixed diposts have been made much before 6 months and well above the requirements of $12000.
Pl revert back.

Mar 25, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
15-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-11-2015
Med's Done....
28-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-08-2016
LANDED..........
27-10-2016
@asivad

do we need to declare if we have a bank statment and amount of more than 10k CAD?

i know we need to declare if we are carrying cash but does it apply to bank statement as well?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lelieuplusfroid said:
From the Ontario settlement site whose link I gave above.

It appears the site is badly written. Neither it says what is the minimum to be carried nor says how it should be carried.

Asivad - Your thoughts on POF at landing are at odds with what is generally mentioned in this forum. Apart from Indian bank statements, another example in Travel Cards. People here usually discourage forex travel cards as POF. I have a travel card from ICICI and I can even get a statement in ICICI letter head that shows CAD balance from that card. But still there are posts from Qorax, steaky and other veterans that say forex cards are not a valid POF.

I understand your logic behind the purpose of POF.. ready availability of CAD funds to settle in Canada. Forex card definitely serve this purpose since we can withdraw cash in an ATM with that. So by logic, it should be accepted.

Can we write to CBSA or any other pre-arrival government settlement agency to verify if INR statements and Forex cards are acceptable at POE? Do you have a suggestion who to write
I would've been able to answer this one way or the other if they had just asked me for POF at landing! They didn't so I can't answer this with finality. I don't understand why one would consistently refer to old posts - a lot has changed since then. Plastic money is more ubiquitous. Travel/Forex cards are probably the most common way of carrying funds overseas and any government agency prefers interacting with people who have 'traceable' money.

Try reading here about CBSA - maybe something there'll convince you more easily than anything I have to say on this subject.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
futurecanadiannew123456 said:
@asivad

do we need to declare if we have a bank statment and amount of more than 10k CAD?

i know we need to declare if we are carrying cash but does it apply to bank statement as well?
Not required, only needed if you're carrying in cash or equivalent.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Panky26 said:
Hello guys..
New to this forum.
I have fixed diposits, around some of it in my own name solely and remaining in joint account with my father where I am second nominee.
So in my case Can this Fixed diposts where I am second nomination to my father be considered as proof of funds?? The fixed diposts have been made much before 6 months and well above the requirements of $12000.
Pl revert back.
Yes.

You'll need a signed self-declaration from your father that, as joint account holder, they have no reservations against you utilizing these funds as your POF.

Mar 10, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
Try reading here about CBSA - maybe something there'll convince you more easily than anything I have to say on this subject.
I'm convinced that your statements make sense. Only wondering why several others get so worked up with this landing proof of funds and scare-monger that INR statements or Forex cards won't work.

I spoke to CBSA call center. They said CBSA officers at POE will just follow "CIC Instructions to ensure enough funds are available" and no more information is available with CBSA. I've also written to contact@cbsa.gc.ca and my SOPA coordinator at Regina Open Door Society. I'll share if I'm able to get more info.

Now when I think about it, maybe the forum overanalyses and gets paranoid. As long sufficient money is available and shown with latest statements, it should be okay. If one CBSA officer has a doubt about these documents, he will check with others, won't he? And I don't think anyone can be rejected landing because they had INR statements instead of CAD, unless the money itself falls short of CIC instructions.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lelieuplusfroid said:
They said CBSA officers at POE will just follow "CIC Instructions to ensure enough funds are available" and no more information is available with CBSA.
Precisely.

lelieuplusfroid said:
They said CBSA officers at POE will just follow "
Now when I think about it, maybe the forum overanalyses and gets paranoid. As long sufficient money is available and shown with latest statements, it should be okay. If one CBSA officer has a doubt about these documents, he will check with others, won't he? And I don't think anyone can be rejected landing because they had INR statements instead of CAD, unless the money itself falls short of CIC instructions.
Bank statements work for IRCC and they will work at landing. Travel cards, currency, drafts would also work as these are either cash or 'almost' cash.

Panky26

Feb 2, 2016
Hello guys..

I have maintained fixed diposits of around $12000 some of it in my own name solely and remaining in joined account with my father where I am second nominee.
So in my case Can this Fixed diposits where I am second nomination to my father be considered as proof of funds?? The fixed diposts have been made much before 6 months and well above the requirements of $12000.
Pl revert back.