+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP - Soft Landing

the_game

May 13, 2017
Hi,

So after a lot of wait, finally for PR for canada (PNP Nominated) and which means i have to travel to my province, which i am more than delighted to do.

however, at this stage, i intend for soft landing.

the tickets which i am getting is

delhi >> toronto (wait 1.5 hrs) >> saskatoon

my questions are:
1. where should i apply for PR card? Toronto or saskatoon. I can take a next flight for saskatoon, which will give me about 2 hrs more i.e. 3.5 hrs before i board the flight to saskatoon
2. If I apply for PR card in toronto - can i give my relatives address (toronto based)
3. If I apply for PR card in saskatoon - can i give my relatives address (toronto based)
4. Where can i apply for SIN ? toronto or saskatoon?
5. If by any chance Proof of funds is required to be shown again, can i show the Term deposit which i have? or it has to be cash
6. Is there any other document which is required to be filled in for soft landing?
7. My last date is 19 april 2019, can i land by 11 April 2019? is there any issues?
8. What is the minimum stay i am required to do in canada for soft landing. Can that be 2 weeks?

Thanks

Last edited:

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi,

So after a lot of wait, finally for PR for canada (PNP Nominated) and which means i have to travel to my province, which i am more than delighted to do.

my questions are:
1. where should i apply for PR card? Toronto or saskatoon. I can take a next flight for saskatoon, which will give me about 2 hrs more i.e. 3.5 hrs before i board the flight to saskatoon
2. If I apply for PR card in toronto - can i give my relatives address (toronto based)
3. If I apply for PR card in saskatoon - can i give my relatives address (toronto based)
5. If by any chance Proof of funds is required to be shown again, can i show the Term deposit which i have? or it has to be cash
6. Is there any other document which is required to be filled in for soft landing?
7. My last date is 19 april 2019, can i land by 11 April 2019? is there any issues?
8. What is the minimum stay i am required to do in canada for soft landing. Can that be 2 weeks?

Thanks
1, 4 Toronto as landing formalities are done at first port of entry so in your case Toronto. I think you probably need a flight with a longer layover.
2,3 Yes
5. No cash needed.
6. No
7. No issues
8. No prescribed minimum stay. You can come back by next flight if you so wish.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
To add
1 as above maybe assume at least a 3/4 hour layover, 1.5 hours would be too short if faced with a PR immigration queue.

4 you can apply for a SIN at the service Canada desk in Toronto Pearson airport, open I believe Mon/Friday possibly business hours only. Otherwise if time becomes an issue just complete when you get to Sask.

7 whilst there is no issue arriving on the date you suggest personally I would advise a month before given leaving to a week before there is always the unknown that may or may not happen and this is a use it or lose situation. Maybe I am being naturally over cautious but decision is yours

BDABCD2009

Star Member
Dec 7, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30 Aug 2016
Doc's Request.
14- OCt 2016
Nomination.....
22 Oct 2016
AOR Received.
05 Mar 2017
File Transfer...
15 March
Med's Request
26 June 2017
Med's Done....
02 July 2017
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
23-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-08-2017
LANDED..........
15 June 2018
Hello,
I have a small question. Grateful if you could answer it. I did a soft landing in Canada in 2018 and come back to my country after a month. During my visit I only able to open my bank account in Regina. I got SINP-OID nomination and also received my PR. Now I’m planning to move permanently sometime in August 2019. My question is do I have to stay and live in Saskatchewan when I go back again this year. Read in forum that other says that I have to stay few days or month in Saskatchewan before I move to other province. Is it fact or I can start living in other province from beginning because of Canada’s mobility law. If I start living in other province, would I be able to do health card and child schooling without any hassle or other province will deny to issue health care and child education facilities as Saskatchewan is the destination mentioned in my COPR. Will I face difficulties in getting citizenship in future if I don’t stay in Saskatchewan? Your generous advise is highly appreciate.

fayfeily

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
To add
1 as above maybe assume at least a 3/4 hour layover, 1.5 hours would be too short if faced with a PR immigration queue.

4 you can apply for a SIN at the service Canada desk in Toronto Pearson airport, open I believe Mon/Friday possibly business hours only. Otherwise if time becomes an issue just complete when you get to Sask.

Question: For point #4, if we apply SIN at Toronto then are they going to give you the SIN right the way or need to wait for them to send your a mail ??? [In this case, should we spare like at least 3 hours before connecting flight is better or even more ??]

7 whilst there is no issue arriving on the date you suggest personally I would advise a month before given leaving to a week before there is always the unknown that may or may not happen and this is a use it or lose situation. Maybe I am being naturally over cautious but decision is yours

Ronaldinho

Dec 9, 2018
1, 4 Toronto as landing formalities are done at first port of entry so in your case Toronto. I think you probably need a flight with a longer layover.
2,3 Yes
5. No cash needed.
6. No
7. No issues
8. No prescribed minimum stay. You can come back by next flight if you so wish.

are you sure that he can give the address in Toronto ? He is PNP Nominated, so it is supposed to receive his PR card in Saskatchewan ?
also, if his flight is from India to Saskatchewan (Saskatoon) via Toronto,are you sure that he needs to go to Toronto Immigration officer , I think he should do it on Saskatoon,not in Toronto? It seems more logical

sangeetatulsiyan

Jul 18, 2018
Hi All,

Can you please suggest me on this, I am travelling to US in July and my flight has a halt at Toronto for 21 hrs, can i do soft landing in that time?
I am getting good deal on tickets. My PR will expire in Sep 2019.

London -> Toronto Pearson International
Long Wait 21h 20 min
Toronto Pearson International -> FLL

Please Suggest.

Thanks,
Sara

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi All,

Can you please suggest me on this, I am travelling to US in July and my flight has a halt at Toronto for 21 hrs, can i do soft landing in that time?
I am getting good deal on tickets. My PR will expire in Sep 2019.

London -> Toronto Pearson International
Long Wait 21h 20 min
Toronto Pearson International -> FLL

Please Suggest.

Thanks,
Sara
Sure you can and if on a weekday you probably even have time to collect your SIN from the Service Canada desk. Assume you would collect your luggage at Toronto to clear immigration/customs with your goods to follow list and recheck it but check with your airline (s).

The only thing to keep in mind would be that once you are a landed PR you need a PR card or PRTD to fly to Canada if you have a return to your home country from FLL via Toronto. This given any visas or in the case of visa exempt an ETA would at some point be invalidated once become a PR so no use for travel or transiting Canada. Same would apply if you completed a soft landing and returned directly from FLL to your home country you would need either a PR card or PRTD to eventually come to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

Last edited:

sangeetatulsiyan

Jul 18, 2018
Perfect, this look like a plan. I would be posting my PR card at my friend's house in Canada and will manage to get it before I fly to Canada again.

Regarding Service Desk Canada, I would be landing Canada on Friday evening 5pm. As per some of the posts it's open atleast till 8pm on Friday but nobody knows the closure time on Friday. What could be the problem if I don't get my SIN?
Is it that I can't apply for jobs while sitting outside Canada or my soft landing ould be incomplete without that.Though I will try if I can schedule flight for Thursday.

Regarding luggage I don't have to take that out bcoz second leg is from the same airline.

Thanks for your detailed response :)

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
or my soft landing ould be incomplete without that.
Soft landing is complete as soon as COPR is signed by the agent. No relation with SIN.

Regarding luggage I don't have to take that out bcoz second leg is from the same airline.
You're mistaken. You have to collect and recheck luggage at port of entry irrespective of whether airlines is same for onward journey or not.

sangeetatulsiyan

Jul 18, 2018
Really but that's not in my control because airlines have no policy of giving the luggage at Canada. They said you have to collect the luggage at the final destination. Is it really a problem?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Perfect, this look like a plan. I would be posting my PR card at my friend's house in Canada and will manage to get it before I fly to Canada again.

Regarding Service Desk Canada, I would be landing Canada on Friday evening 5pm. As per some of the posts it's open atleast till 8pm on Friday but nobody knows the closure time on Friday. What could be the problem if I don't get my SIN?
Is it that I can't apply for jobs while sitting outside Canada or my soft landing ould be incomplete without that.Though I will try if I can schedule flight for Thursday.

Thanks for your detailed response :)
You only need a SIN when you actually start working so no big deal if you leave until you move permenantly as you can just go to a Service Canada office. No impact to any landing only your COPR is relevant for that.

As per link something I was not aware of if you are arriving at terminal 1 and connecting to a US flight then in some circumstances you may not be able to complete a PR landing given no interaction for some airlines/flights with CBSA only USCBP. This seems applicable to Air Canada flights for example connecting international to US through term 1.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/toronto-pearson-international-airport/int-us.html

So you need to check with your airline which terminal you will arrive at and leave from especially with a 21 hour layover. Are you really planning to sleep in the airport at a boarding gate given without passing through CBSA immigration you cannot of course leave the airport

https://www.torontopearson.com/Mobile/ConnectingGuide/Detail.aspx?arr=3

Last edited:

Waqaslatif87

Apr 22, 2021
Hi,

my questions are:

Thanks
Hi,

I know its been years now, how was your soft landing experience? did you give your toronto address or address in saskatoon?

I am planning the same and would like to know if it is ok to do softlanding in Toronto and later when moving for good settiling in Saskatoon