+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP Residency Obligation

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
I lived in BC for 4 years before getting my PR. I have an opportunity to start PhD in Ontario. If I move now with just 3-4 months residency in BC as PR while total residency in BC more than 4 years, will it still be considered a possible case of misrepresentation?

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
I lived in BC for 4 years before getting my PR. I have an opportunity to start PhD in Ontario. If I move now with just 3-4 months residency in BC as PR while total residency in BC more than 4 years, will it still be considered a possible case of misrepresentation?
I am not an expert on PNP but will provide my opinion. You will need to have documented proof that you applied for PhD at multiple universities and were selected to the program in Ontario after you received your PR.
I would also recommend to pay $200 and consult an attorney for peace of mind.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When did you apply for the PhD? Did you apply to a PhD program in BC? If so when we’re you denied admission! Did your PNP application include proof of a job?

Reactions: Princes2020

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
When did you apply for the PhD? Did you apply to a PhD program in BC? If so when we’re you denied admission! Did your PNP application include proof of a job?
I had 2 PR applications simultaneously one under bcpnp and other under CEC. Applied for PhD while waiting for my PR. Didn’t apply to a uni in bc but applied at UoT as it’s Canada’s top uni. My pnp based application was finally approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
And yes my pnp was job offer based
I had 2 PR applications simultaneously one under bcpnp and other under CEC. Applied for PhD while waiting for my PR. Didn’t apply to a uni in bc but applied at UoT as it’s Canada’s top uni. My pnp based application was finally approved.
Tough to say whether it would ever be an issue but by applying for a PhD at UofT it indicates while applying for BCPNP it shows that you didn’t intend to remain in BC. When it comes to students pursuing PhDs Canada wants to retain students so if you don’t attract attention for other reasons I think you will likely be fine. Did you start working or continue working at the job associated with BCPNP?

Reactions: Princes2020

Princes2020

Jan 1, 2020
Tough to say whether it would ever be an issue but by applying for a PhD at UofT it indicates while applying for BCPNP it shows that you didn’t intend to remain in BC. When it comes to students pursuing PhDs Canada wants to retain students so if you don’t attract attention for other reasons I think you will likely be fine. Did you start working or continue working at the job associated with BCPNP?
I worked for about 2 years on the same job same firm that I had my bcpnp based on. It was due to covid that it took so long to get PR else I’d have been PR long ago and continued working with same firm as PR