Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
This is a breakdown of the processing steps for a paper-based application for Permanent Residence (PR) through a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), the start-up business class, the self-employed class, and the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP).

I will mainly be addressing paper-based PNP applicants. Mention will be made of Express Entry cases where applicable.

Stage 1: Completeness Check
  1. Applications are submitted to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
  2. The application is checked for completeness against the Document Checklist.
  3. Once completeness is verified by the CIO, the application is submitted to the Global Case Management System (GCMS).
  4. An acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) is sent to the applicant.
    Note: if the application does not meet the requirements for completeness, it is returned to the applicant along with the fee paid. This is recorded in the GCMS.
For PNP applicants, the following special documents are checked:
  • Monthly nomination spreadsheet - sent from the provinces to CIO every month with lists of nominated individuals. This is counted as confirmation that a nomination was issued to the applicant.
  • Nomination approval letter - issued to the applicant by the province. Must be included in the application for PR.
Stage 2: Processing - Transfer to processing office
  1. The checked application is submitted to GCMS.
  2. The Category field of the GCMS is populated with the appropriate immigration category, which is one of the following:
    • Worker – Job offer
    • Worker – No job offer
    • Business
    • Family support
    • Students
    • Community support
  3. The processing fee paid by the applicant is recovered. At this point, you cannot withdraw your application and get a full refund.
  4. An Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) is sent to the applicant.
  5. The paper file is transferred to the processing office.
  6. The electronic file is transferred to the processing office through GCMS.
Stage 3: Processing - application eligibility
For all PNP applications (including Express Entry), the processing office checks the following:
  1. Criminality
  2. Organized criminality
  3. Security violations
  4. Human rights/International rights violations
  5. Health/Medical
  6. Financial stability
  7. Misrepresentation
  8. Inadmissible family members
You can learn more about each of these in the ENF2 - Evaluating Inadmissibility Guide.

For Express Entry applications, the processing office also evaluates:
  • application eligibility for Express Entry based on the EE program
  • other requirements under Immigration Act 11.2
For paper applications, applicants will be instructed to get a medical examination, which includes:
  • Physical
  • Mental
  • Medical history
  • Lab tests
  • Diagnostic tests
Requirements for "membership" in the PNP class
  • Be nominated by the province
  • Intent to reside in the province
  • Be able to become economically established in Canada
For financial or economical admissibility, factors include:
  • an ongoing job OR a job offer
  • good language skills
  • work experience
  • education and training
These factors are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Stage 4: Determining inadmissibility to Canada
  1. Inadmissibility for financial reasons - you must be able and willing to support yourself and your dependents financially when in Canada, without social assistance. This is checked even if the province already checked it in the PNP stage. Inadmissibility can occur if:
    1. you are working in Canada in a low-wage job and you are bringing dependents into the country
    2. you were nominated based on a job offer or job that is no longer valid (if it was cancelled or terminated) when the permanent resident visa is issued
  2. Misrepresentation - there are many situations considered misrepresentation. See ENF2 - Evaluating Inadmissibility Guide for full details.
Stage 5: Approval
When you are determined to be admissible to Canada and to your province, you will be sent a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR).

If you are in Canada, the visa and CoPR will be sent to your address in Canada. You can make an appointment at an IRCC office to validate the visa, or do so at a port of entry to Canada.

If you are outside Canada, you will receive your visa and CoPR, and must then present it at a port of entry to validate it.

Your permanent residence can be refused or revoked at a port of entry if the immigration officer has reason to believe that:

• You do not intend to live in the nominating province
  • You aren't likely to become economically established in Canada
  • You are participating in a passive investment or immigration linked investment scheme
  • You failed to meet Express Entry requirements
  • Your provincial nomination was revoked
Please let me know if I have messed up any information here. Hope this helps!

Tamra

Dec 18, 2018
Awesome detailed explanation. Thanks! I’m still waiting still August 2017 to hear from them . It’s been so Long and when my representative / agent checked they said my file was in Montreal ????

Ann_7

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Awesome detailed explanation. Thanks! I’m still waiting still August 2017 to hear from them . It’s been so Long and when my representative / agent checked they said my file was in Montreal ????
Hi Tamra, did you order gcms notes? Are you inland? Maybe try to phone IRCC and ask the status of your application - eligibility and criminality. I think after those two have passed, you should receive MR

Reactions: Tamra

Tamra

Dec 18, 2018
Hi Tamra, did you order gcms notes? Are you inland? Maybe try to phone IRCC and ask the status of your application - eligibility and criminality. I think after those two have passed, you should receive MR
Hi Ann, what are gems notes. I am here in Canada on a work permit for the business I started. Do u have a number I can call ? My agent is useless.eberytime I ask her she says wait ! I’m so anxiously waiting so that I can start planning my trips for the year. Haven’t visited my family in 2 years.

Tamra

Dec 18, 2018
Hi Ann, what are gems notes. I am here in Canada on a work permit for the business I started. Do u have a number I can call ? My agent is useless.eberytime I ask her she says wait ! I’m so anxiously waiting so that I can start planning my trips for the year. Haven’t visited my family in 2 years.
Hi Ann, I just called IRCC. They are currently processing my background check. Lolz. It said no additional doc required and no MEdical required, no interview and no fingerprints required I presume this means they are checking my police clearance and if I have criminal records . Thanks again. Feel so much better knowing my application is in the system.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Hi Ann, I just called IRCC. They are currently processing my background check. Lolz. It said no additional doc required and no MEdical required, no interview and no fingerprints required I presume this means they are checking my police clearance and if I have criminal records . Thanks again. Feel so much better knowing my application is in the system.
I'm glad it worked out! Good luck and godspeed.

Reactions: Tamra

Karpel14

Apr 3, 2019
Route: ONIP - International Student with Job Offer Letter - Paper Based PR Application

- Application submitted: May 14, 2018
- Application Received: May 16, 2018
- Medical Request: April 30, 2019
- Local Physician's office advised me they will be sending Medical Report to IRCC at the end of next week.

Can someone please advise me how long the PPR takes after Medicals are passed? Also, what will they be doing between Medical Passed and PPR?

Thank you for time :)

luisalex

Star Member
Jul 31, 2018
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-06-2018
AOR Received.
17-08-2018
File Transfer...
28-05-2019
Med's Request
2-05-2019
Hello everyone!

My timeline:

June 13, 2018 - AR
Aug 17, 2018 - AOR
May 2, 2019 - MR
May 22, 2019 - MP
May 28 - ADR (FBI identity history summary) and file transfer to Manila Visa Office
June 6, 2019 - submitted FBI identity history summary
June 12, 2019 - GU (we are reviewing the document/s you submitted)
June 14 - paid RPRF (upfront)

Is my DM or PPR anytime soon?

olufisayo77

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
Pls what do you mean by this

• You are participating in a passive investment or immigration linked investment scheme
This is a breakdown of the processing steps for a paper-based application for Permanent Residence (PR) through a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), the start-up business class, the self-employed class, and the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP).

I will mainly be addressing paper-based PNP applicants. Mention will be made of Express Entry cases where applicable.

1. Applications are submitted to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
  3. Once completeness is verified by the CIO, the application is submitted to the Global Case Management System (GCMS).
    Note: if the application does not meet the requirements for completeness, it is returned to the applicant along with the fee paid. This is recorded in the GCMS.
  • Monthly nomination spreadsheet - sent from the provinces to CIO every month with lists of nominated individuals. This is counted as confirmation that a nomination was issued to the applicant.
  • Nomination approval letter - issued to the applicant by the province. Must be included in the application for PR.
  2. The Category field of the GCMS is populated with the appropriate immigration category, which is one of the following:
    • Worker – Job offer
    • Worker – No job offer
    • Business
    • Family support
    • Students
    • Community support
  3. The processing fee paid by the applicant is recovered. At this point, you cannot withdraw your application and get a full refund.
For all PNP applications (including Express Entry), the processing office checks the following:
  1. Criminality
  2. Organized criminality
  3. Security violations
  5. Health/Medical
  6. Financial stability
  7. Misrepresentation
You can learn more about each of these in the ENF2 - Evaluating Inadmissibility Guide.

For paper applications, applicants will be instructed to get a medical examination, which includes:
  • Physical
  • Mental
  • Medical history
  • Lab tests
  • Diagnostic tests
  • good language skills
  • work experience
  • education and training

1. Inadmissibility for financial reasons - you must be able and willing to support yourself and your dependents financially when in Canada, without social assistance. This is checked even if the province already checked it in the PNP stage. Inadmissibility can occur if:
    1. you are working in Canada in a low-wage job and you are bringing dependents into the country
    2. you were nominated based on a job offer or job that is no longer valid (if it was cancelled or terminated) when the permanent resident visa is issued
  2. Misrepresentation - there are many situations considered misrepresentation. See ENF2 - Evaluating Inadmissibility Guide for full details.
When you are determined to be admissible to Canada and to your province, you will be sent a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR).

If you are in Canada, the visa and CoPR will be sent to your address in Canada. You can make an appointment at an IRCC office to validate the visa, or do so at a port of entry to Canada.

If you are outside Canada, you will receive your visa and CoPR, and must then present it at a port of entry to validate it.

Your permanent residence can be refused or revoked at a port of entry if the immigration officer has reason to believe that:

Elene_Ruby

Star Member
Aug 16, 2018

• Worker – Job offer
    • Worker – No job offer
    • Business
    • Family support
    • Students
    • Community support
  1. Criminality
  2. Organized criminality
  3. Security violations
  5. Health/Medical
  6. Financial stability
  7. Misrepresentation

• Physical
  • Mental
  • Medical history
  • Lab tests
  • Diagnostic tests
  • good language skills
  • work experience
  • education and training

Hello Shannonxtreme,
Thank you for the great explanation on the process.
If the Nomination program (oinp job offer) and employer do not require any language, can they still demend it with PR application? Can the language test be avoided in PR application?

Bijith

Star Member
Sep 15, 2020
Hi, I’m a Nova Scotia PNP nominee and going to apply for PR paper based application. As per PNP nominee paper check list they don’t want my educational and work experience related letters, do I need to submit these documents or not
Please reply
Thanks