+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PNP and establishing residency in another province

vikramnaik14

Nov 30, 2020
Category........
PNP
I have a query regarding establishing residency in a province different from province from where PNP was taken. I am currently in BC with a PNP from another state, since I am staying with my relatives in BC. I am applying for jobs in the province which gave me PNP as well as other provinces. Wherever I get my first job is where I will move. However since I have been for 3 months plus in BC I am wondering if I can apply for medical insurance and driving license. Further down the line if I move to different province I will transfer those. Is this valid or legally allowed?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a query regarding establishing residency in a province different from province from where PNP was taken. I am currently in BC with a PNP from another state, since I am staying with my relatives in BC. I am applying for jobs in the province which gave me PNP as well as other provinces. Wherever I get my first job is where I will move. However since I have been for 3 months plus in BC I am wondering if I can apply for medical insurance and driving license. Further down the line if I move to different province I will transfer those. Is this valid or legally allowed?
No states in Canada only provinces. Did you never go to the province that granted you PNP after landing? Were you questioned about your travel plans to that province when landing in BC and indicating you would be traveling to the province that selected you after a visit with relatives? Although technically you have free movement after receiving PR not going to stay in that province at all after landing is not advisable. You should at least be able to show that you did go to the province if ever questioned.

You must meet residency requirements in that province to qualify for provincial healthcare. Each province has their own requirements. If you know you won’t meet residency requirements to qualify for MSP you shouldn’t apply. What is the likelihood of you remaining in BC? Is it very unlikely? When would you expect to move? Transferring your healthcare to another province is not as simple as it may seem if you have only recently arrived in Canada and have spent less that 6-12 months in a province. In order to transfer healthcare you normally have to meet the healthcare residency requirement for the 1st province because if you move the 1st province is usually responsible for up to the first 3 months of healthcare costs if you use healthcare. If you haven’t met the residency requirements to qualify for healthcare in the first province you usually have to start from scratch when applying for healthcare in the 2nd province. That may or may not include a waiting period of up to 3 months.