+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Plz share your Experience Finding Job in Toronto

stalingard

Nov 14, 2015
Hi All,
Request folks with similar experience to weigh in.

I’m employed and in discussion with Management about possible relocation to Canada, in specific. Per management, due to organization’s small presence in the country it would be hard for them to justify and open a rack.

Has anybody managed to find a “job” after landing in Canada?
Will procuring immigration/VISA influence in getting you a job after you land in Canada? Or while in a specific stage during the immigration process?
Is it ideal to apply for job when in midst of immigration/VISA process? I plan to re-locate to Toronto, does that mean I can’t hunt for job in other province/cities?

Cheers

8Hannah8

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
your immigration status does affect your perspective employment. Employers tend to favour PRs/citizens over work-permit holders. As a work permit holder, the chances of getting a contract job as opposing to full-time are higher. The job market is pretty tight now, many employers tend to ask for Canadian experience. If your company can do the transfer and you can work for it for at least 6 months, it would give you a pretty great push to launch career in Canada.
What is your current status, I am not sure if I understood your post correctly. "Landing" also has a meaning of completing PR process, is that what you meant?

dbase1981

May 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 7, 2014 1:57 PM DD encashed June 25, 2014
AOR Received.
PER August 7, 2014
Med's Request
August 27, 2014
Med's Done....
September 22, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
November 7, 2014
LANDED..........
September 8, 2015
Just want to share my experience... I landed in Toronto, Canada last September 8th, 2015) and before landing, I got two job offers as an IT professional; one from the biggest bank in Canada and one in the biggest pension company which are both in downtown Toronto. Both interviewed me via skype and I got their offer on the same day around August. The key thing that led me to a job (choosing the latter) is updating my linkedin profile several months before landing (as early as January 2015). This is what I've done:

- I connected myself to the different recruiters around Canada, may it be talent recruiter or direct HR's from the industry you are targeting... After doing that, let linkedin do the rest since it will suggest you all of the HR's from the same location (Canada), and just connect.
- Put in the header that you are looking for opportunity in CANADA and landing by XXX. Upload cover letter and resume. Explain in the cover letter that you are not in Canada yet but in case you can keep me in file, that would be great.

I haven't even started applying for any companies since I plan to do it after I land so that I can have more quality selections to choose from. I did not apply for the two big companies where I got offers but they contacted me sometime 4 months before I land and then I started to chat and present myself and my skills through emails. And the rest is history when they got openings, they informed me.

I think the key thing in job application is clear communication so that they will know the truth regarding your availability. And for Canadians, integrity is the most important soft skills.

Nov 27, 2015
Santo Domingo
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Passport Req..
21-03-2016
dbase1981 said:
Just want to share my experience... I landed in Toronto, Canada last September 8th, 2015) and before landing, I got two job offers as an IT professional; one from the biggest bank in Canada and one in the biggest pension company which are both in downtown Toronto. Both interviewed me via skype and I got their offer on the same day around August. The key thing that led me to a job (choosing the latter) is updating my linkedin profile several months before landing (as early as January 2015). This is what I've done:

- I connected myself to the different recruiters around Canada, may it be talent recruiter or direct HR's from the industry you are targeting... After doing that, let linkedin do the rest since it will suggest you all of the HR's from the same location (Canada), and just con...
Thank you dbase1981 for your input

Geriasmk

Star Member
Jun 11, 2015
Hi There,

I landed in Toronto in August 2015 and am still yet to secure a professional role. I am starting to become slightly alarmed about my prospects here. I am 27/F from Australia and have six years experience working for the Australian Federal Government, State Government and in Policy Think Tanks and Lobby Groups in Sydney Australia. I also have project support, project management, evaluation and significant public speaking and presentation experience. I have cast the net as wide as I can with my experience and am also looking for administrative roles.

Thus far I have had 5 interviews and not secured a role. I am applying directly, via recruitment agencies and have done quite a bit of cold calling and reaching out to organisations.

I know the momentum I have had with interviews is positive, however, I am concerned that I am not getting roles because I am an international candidate; even though I meet the position description and interview well. I accept that interviewing can be tough and would like to believe that in every instance there has been a better candidate that won the role.

The last position I interviewed for I was told I was the preferred candidate, went and interviewed well, and was then told there was someone else with more experience that got the job? The position before, I was made to do research beforehand, had a rigours 45 minute interview, had to complete two written tests afterwards; to be told I was 'overqualified'.

At this point I am starting to think that I need to consider looking for work outside Toronto. I like many others are very employable but it seems like the work is not there or I am not wanted. Ive done some great networking and have been able to make connections within Government and the non-profit sector. These contacts have been great for moral support; but not for providing any real opportunities just yet.

The search continues.

NILESHRM

Star Member
May 12, 2015
ahmedabad, india
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw/New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-03-2015
Med's Request
11-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015
Interview........
TLU 03-06-2015
Passport Req..
DM 10-08-2015 PPR 11-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2015
LANDED..........
Planned Feb 2016
Hi,

around 5 friends of my friends landed in last six months, all from IT

most of them got IT job in a month or two.

even one of the spouse not having excellent IT skills got job in 3 months

I attended CIIP session, the canadian citizen living in canada since 15 yrs was presenter, he told me you will get job quickly

I am landing next month-feb 2016-lets see what happens

chiyakam

Aug 23, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
Doc's Request.
11-03-2016 (Sub: 29-03-2016)
AOR Received.
18-10-2015
Passport Req..
31-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
02-06-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2016
NILESHRM said:
I attended CIIP session, the canadian citizen living in canada since 15 yrs was presenter, he told me you will get job quickly
Hi Nilesh, can you please share details on CIIP? It would also help if you share the background (Skills / industry) details of the friends you talked about. I'm having a bit of anxiety in leaving all the comforts of home with everything settled quite nicely to go to Canada to start all over once again.
dbase1981 said:
Just want to share my experience... I landed in Toronto, Canada last September 8th, 2015) and before landing, I got two job offers as an IT professional; one from the biggest bank in Canada and one in the biggest pension company which are both in downtown Toronto. Both interviewed me via skype and I got their offer on the same day around August. The key thing that led me to a job (choosing the latter) is updating my linkedin profile several months before landing (as early as January 2015).
Thanks for sharing this valuable piece of information dbase1981. Much appreciated. I hope you have found a job of your choice and have settled down by now. Cheers!

chiyakam

Aug 23, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
Doc's Request.
11-03-2016 (Sub: 29-03-2016)
AOR Received.
18-10-2015
Passport Req..
31-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
02-06-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2016
chiyakam said:
Hi Nilesh, can you please share details on CIIP?
Never mind - I found all the information on the internet. For the benefit of others here is the link you may refer to for more information- http://www. newcomersuccess.ca/

olympus

Dec 15, 2015
I am curious to know.

On what visa are you visiting Canada? Tourist visa or you guys already have a PR?

viveksharma

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
Not Received
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Guess mid Jun-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
olympus said:
I am curious to know.

On what visa are you visiting Canada? Tourist visa or you guys already have a PR?
Almost everybody here has a PR

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
Geriasmk said:
Hi There,

I landed in Toronto in August 2015 and am still yet to secure a professional role. I am starting to become slightly alarmed about my prospects here. I am 27/F from Australia and have six years experience working for the Australian Federal Government, State Government and in Policy Think Tanks and Lobby Groups in Sydney Australia. I also have project support, project management, evaluation and significant public speaking and presentation experience. I have cast the net as wide as I can with my experience and am also looking for administrative roles.

Thus far I have had 5 interviews and not secured a role. I am applying directly, via recruitment agencies and have done quite a bit of cold calling and reaching out to organisations.

I know the momentum I have had with interviews is positive, however, I am concerned that I am not getting roles because I am an international candidate; even though I meet the position description and interview well. I accept that interviewing can be tough and would like to believe that in every instance there has been a better candidate that won the role.

The last position I interviewed for I was told I was the preferred candidate, went and interviewed well, and was then told there was someone else with more experience that got the job? The position before, I was made to do research beforehand, had a rigours 45 minute interview, had to complete two written tests afterwards; to be told I was 'overqualified'.

At this point I am starting to think that I need to consider looking for work outside Toronto. I like many others are very employable but it seems like the work is not there or I am not wanted. Ive done some great networking and have been able to make connections within Government and the non-profit sector. These contacts have been great for moral support; but not for providing any real opportunities just yet.

The search continues.
I wouldn't take my chances on federal jobs as they are most likely to go to Canadian citizens although application does say for PR as well

BTWN what profile are you in - what is your specialization - may be that should throw some light to open up a silver lining

cheers / Lance

pradz

Feb 24, 2016

Hi dbase1981 thanks a lot for this wonderful information. I have been in Toronto for a week now and will be beginning my jobsearch. Can you pls PM me your email id I need some help on acceptable format for resume in the Canadian market. Also, since no one has talked about ACCESS EMPLOYMENT I would like to know whats your take on how useful this is and any other services that you recommend while in Canada to accelerate jobsearch.

Thanks !!

Weekly

Aug 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Geriamsk,

I will be landing in Toronto in May 2016. So just researching about job scenarios over there. It seems like you are doing all the right things for securing a job .Your last feedback was in Jan 2016 so I was interested in finding out if you were able to secure a job after that. I hope you do coz it will give a ray of hope to others. If it doesn't work out in Toronto where are you planning to go next?

Shekar Reddy

Feb 27, 2016
Hi Friends,

I am looking jobs in Canada , I have 5 years experience in IT sector.
Kindly share the detail to applying the jobs.

My mail id : shekar.reddy389@gmail.com
my number or whatsapp me : +919535221818

Thanks
Shekar Reddy