+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Plz Help!!! H1B Driver License Question

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
Hi Friends,

I'm currently on H1B visa and my driver license has the same expiration date of I797, which is by the end of next year. I'm thinking of moving to Canada and resign from the current US job. My questions is, once I resign from the job, (then I'll be H1B grace period), will my driver license still be valid when driving across the border? My understanding is that the driver license is associated with the visa status.

Thanks!!!

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
Hi Friends,

I'm currently on H1B visa and my driver license has the same expiration date of I797, which is by the end of next year. I'm thinking of moving to Canada and resign from the current US job. My questions is, once I resign from the job, (then I'll be H1B grace period), will my driver license still be valid when driving across the border? My understanding is that the driver license is associated with the visa status.

Thanks!!!
You leave the US within the 60 day grace period, your H-1B gets paused. DL remains valid until the date that's printed on it. Unless it gets revoked due to some discrepancy in your status (which won't happen if you don't abuse the grace period)

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
You leave the US within the 60 day grace period, your H-1B gets paused. DL remains valid until the date that's printed on it. Unless it gets revoked due to some discrepancy in your status (which won't happen if you don't abuse the grace period)
Thanks!!! Yes I will be moving within the 60 days grace period. Just curious about the DL validation.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks!!! Yes I will be moving within the 60 days grace period. Just curious about the DL validation.
Are you sure you have grace period if you quit instead of employer termination?
Driver license is nothing to do with your visa status hence its valid till that expires hence can be used till that time in Canada/US.

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
Are you sure you have grace period if you quit instead of employer termination?
Driver license is nothing to do with your visa status hence its valid till that expires hence can be used till that time in Canada/US.
I found this from Red2Bus. So it seems that I will have 60 days grace period to take care of everything.

https://redbus2us.com/h1b-grace-period-60-days-uscis-rule-job-loss-you-quit-h4-ead-faqs/#What-is-Official-H1B-Grace-Period-USCIS-Rule

“The regulation does not differentiate between layoff, job loss, termination, resignation or quitting the job. So, technically 60 days grace period should be available to all H1B, L1 and other visa holders, who either submit resignation or quit, instead of layoff. Having said that, USCIS has their discretion to decide or reduce the grace period, based on your case and circumstance as it cannot be taken for granted automatically.”

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I found this from Red2Bus. So it seems that I will have 60 days grace period to take care of everything.

https://redbus2us.com/h1b-grace-period-60-days-uscis-rule-job-loss-you-quit-h4-ead-faqs/#What-is-Official-H1B-Grace-Period-USCIS-Rule

“The regulation does not differentiate between layoff, job loss, termination, resignation or quitting the job. So, technically 60 days grace period should be available to all H1B, L1 and other visa holders, who either submit resignation or quit, instead of layoff. Having said that, USCIS has their discretion to decide or reduce the grace period, based on your case and circumstance as it cannot be taken for granted automatically.
When there is no interaction decision from uscis, i doubt you have that previlige. Per me i think you should leave the country as soon as in few days of your last date with your employer. Take a call to keep in mind on long term reentry above and beyond this year.

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
When there is no interaction decision from uscis, i doubt you have that previlige. Per me i think you should leave the country as soon as in few days of your last date with your employer. Take a call to keep in mind on long term reentry above and beyond this year.
Thanks for your advice. I just need a plan to prepare for the departure. But below is what I found. So I think I should have that 60 days period? This is very confusing.

Why would USCIS to reduce 60 grace period ?
Some of the common reasons that USCIS uses to reduce or end grace period is for situations involving unauthorized employment, fraud or criminal charges tied to the H1B holder. As long as you do not engage in any of these kind of activities, you should get fully 60 days grace period.”

sreekar545

Star Member
Sep 23, 2015
Your driving license is valid until the expiry date. Don't think twice about it.

Just make sure, you come here before the expiry date, if possible, get your car too. Exchange license for full G license.

It's a pain in a** to get those two here for other immigrants, we who are immigrating from US are lucky bastards.

GetLucky8888

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
Your driving license is valid until the expiry date. Don't think twice about it.

Just make sure, you come here before the expiry date, if possible, get your car too. Exchange license for full G license.

It's a pain in a** to get those two here for other immigrants, we who are immigrating from US are lucky bastards.
Thanks, yes I’m thinking of importing the car to Canada too. I need to go to the DMV to get the driving history as well.