+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pls help! Not sure if I've met the RO, wanting to go back to Canada

nicklove128

Star Member
Dec 22, 2015
Hi all, My case is a little complicated, I hope someone can help me. Thank you and happy new year!

My first land in Canada was in 2009, after living there for almost 2.5 years, I moved to another country for study reasons in Jan. 2013. I went back to Canada in Feb. 2015 (my first PR card expired in Feb. 2015) and stayed for 1 month to renew my PR card, and after that I left Canada and remained outside of the country until now. I received my new PR card valid until 2021 in 2016, and I plan to go back to Canada for good in Jun. this year.

I'm not sure if I've met the RO, nor if I would be reported at the custom. What is the best way to enter Canada without being reported?

To offer a clearer details of my case, here is the timeline:

1. First land in 2009
2.Left Canada in Jan. 2013
3. Went back to Canada in Feb. 2015 for a month then left again
4. Plan to go back to Canada in Jun.2018 (holding a PR card valid until Jun. 2021)

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hi all, My case is a little complicated, I hope someone can help me. Thank you and happy new year!

My first land in Canada was in 2009, after living there for almost 2.5 years, I moved to another country for study reasons in Jan. 2013. I went back to Canada in Feb. 2015 (my first PR card expired in Feb. 2015) and stayed for 1 month to renew my PR card, and after that I left Canada and remained outside of the country until now. I received my new PR card valid until 2021 in 2016, and I plan to go back to Canada for good in Jun. this year.

I'm not sure if I've met the RO, nor if I would be reported at the custom. What is the best way to enter Canada without being reported?

To offer a clearer details of my case, here is the timeline:

1. First land in 2009
2.Left Canada in Jan. 2013
3. Went back to Canada in Feb. 2015 for a month then left again
4. Plan to go back to Canada in Jun.2018 (holding a PR card valid until Jun. 2021)
Look at the date you could return to Canada - say 3 January 18, and go back five years. How many days in Canada do you have?

~ 30 days in 2015
~ some days in January 2013

The date your PR card expires doesn’t matter, as the RO is determined based on the date you are being assessed...

Having a current PR card makes it easier, since you would be well. Ask into compliance before needing to renew, but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be stopped and a reported when entering.

nicklove128

Star Member
Dec 22, 2015
Look at the date you could return to Canada - say 3 January 18, and go back five years. How many days in Canada do you have?

~ 30 days in 2015

The date your PR card expires doesn’t matter, as the RO is determined based on the date you are being assessed...

Having a current PR card makes it easier, since you would be well. Ask into compliance before needing to renew, but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be stopped and a reported when entering.

~ 30 days in 2015

Thank you very much for your answer!

Based on what I've read in the forum, I think I have basically 2 options:
1. Fly to Canada and tell the truth at the custom if they ask questions
2. Fly to US first and go to Canada by train

I'm also from a visa exempt country, but I'm afraid entering with my passport instead of a valid PR card would draw more troubles. Which option do you think is better and has less chances of getting reported? Thank you so much!

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Thank you very much for your answer!

Based on what I've read in the forum, I think I have basically 2 options:
1. Fly to Canada and tell the truth at the custom if they ask questions
2. Fly to US first and go to Canada by train

I'm also from a visa exempt country, but I'm afraid entering with my passport instead of a valid PR card would draw more troubles. Which option do you think is better and has less chances of getting reported? Thank you so much!
I’d fly to US and take train... if you have a PR card valid until 2021, you shouldn’t have an issue.

R

rish888

Speaking from a legal standpoint, you are not committing misrepresentation if you show the officer your visa exempt passport and not your PR card. However, if you're taking a train I would just show my PR card. Given the number of people on the train and the fact that CBSA needs to process it quickly, you will probably not encounter too many questions if you show your PR card. If you show your visa exempt passport on the other hand they may ask for the purpose of visit etc and if you're coming back for good that could raise eyebrows.

Just show your PR card and take your chances.

nicklove128

Star Member
Dec 22, 2015
Speaking from a legal standpoint, you are not committing misrepresentation if you show the officer your visa exempt passport and not your PR card. However, if you're taking a train I would just show my PR card. Given the number of people on the train and the fact that CBSA needs to process it quickly, you will probably not encounter too many questions if you show your PR card. If you show your visa exempt passport on the other hand they may ask for the purpose of visit etc and if you're coming back for good that could raise eyebrows.

Just show your PR card and take your chances.
Thank you for your answer. Based on my situation, I think fly to US and then go to Canada by train with my PR card is my best option here, right?

R

rish888

By the way, going to Canada from US by bus should also be a good choice, right? Thank you so much!
between a bus and a train I would choose a train. In a train you are processed on the train, whereas on a bus everyone disembarks and goes to the CBSA office for processing much like an airport.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Speaking from a legal standpoint, you are not committing misrepresentation if you show the officer your visa exempt passport and not your PR card.
That’s a bit of a slippery slope IMO. Failure to disclose information relevant to your entry into Canada could be seen as misrepresentation. Omitting information is seen as the same thing as lying. Not telling them your a PR would also lead to questions like, how long do you plan to stay, do you plan to work, etc, which would be misrepresentation.

However, if you're taking a train I would just show my PR card. Given the number of people on the train and the fact that CBSA needs to process it quickly, you will probably not encounter too many questions if you show your PR card.
Also a cautionary note, both Amtrak and VIA indicate the train can be delayed at border crossings. Trip advisor comments indicate 2 hour delays are not uncommon for border inspection processes and they are no different than any other border entry.