+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLS help me understand 3/5

del16

Jul 2, 2014
Hi guys,
May be my question will sound stupid but please help me understand if I can apply for citizenship or not:

I’m US citizen came to Canada May 6,2014 ( as tourist), got married applied for PR, became PR February 1,2016. Since 2014, left Canada for 50 days.

Am I allowed to apply for citizenship now? Since I’ve been PR for 3 years? Or do I have to wait until May 2019 ( 5 years in Canada) ?

Thank you for your help

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
Hi guys,
May be my question will sound stupid but please help me understand if I can apply for citizenship or not:

I’m US citizen came to Canada May 6,2014 ( as tourist), got married applied for PR, became PR February 1,2016. Since 2014, left Canada for 50 days.

Am I allowed to apply for citizenship now? Since I’ve been PR for 3 years? Or do I have to wait until May 2019 ( 5 years in Canada) ?

Thank you for your help
Please use below link and input all required info to get certain answer

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/startBasicCalc.do

del16

Jul 2, 2014
Thank you for the link, I did it before I posted it. I have the required number of days BUT I haven’t been in Canada for 5 years.

My question is if I have been a permanent resident for 3 year and have required number of days spent in Canada BUT I haven’t been living in Canada for 5 years, am I qualified for citizenship?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
It is 3 years in the 5 years before the application time. You not need to been physically living in Canada for 5 years only at least 3 years in the previous 5 years. If you have been a PR for 3 years and all of those 3 years you have been physically present then can can apply for citizenship. Use the physical presence indicator to total the time and exclude any time outside of Canada.

If you had not been a PR for 3 years then you could also count within the 5 year window and time as a temp resident to max 1 year credit at one half day for every 1 complete day as a temp resident.

frange

May 25, 2018
Hi guys,

Thank you for your help
Yes you can apply since you get over 1095 days within Canada for the past 3 years out of 5.
1- Did you keep your temporary status until you become PR , never out of status and have proof of that matter? If so, you can apply as soon as possible. If not, try to add those 50 days spent out of Canada. If you don't provide proof of your temporary status prior becoming PR, these days spent under temporary status will be void and you will be under 1095 days rule; then your application will be rejected due to days short.

Last edited: