+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PLEASE REPLY....DOES UNIVERSITY MATTERS....!!!

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am doing my masters from University Of New Brunswick, It is not a popular uni in Canada... kindly some one please answer me

DOES A RANKING UNIVERSITY MATTERS IN GETTING A JOB IN CANADA...??

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it really doesn't matter what university you graduate from. it also doesn't matter if you get good grades or what subject you graduated from. the only thing that matters is who you know

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your reply...

Does it mean that job depends on reference only? Can you pay some light on job market??

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, jobs dosen't completely depend on reference only, you have to prove yourself in the interview and tests, and also make sure your resume matches the job you are applying for.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
It matters a bit -- if you are working in the Atlantic provinces, UNB is fine, if you're out west, there might be competition from people in more locally-adjusted programs. Interprovincial barriers in Canada can be surprisingly high.

If you go outside of Canada, it would be helpful to have a degree from a better-known university.

If you want to do a PhD, the ranking of your university might matter if you are trying to get into a competitive program.

But if your masters is professional, and you want to work, basically, you're not going to have any trouble. UNB should be fine, and if you learn French while you're there (if you don't know it already), that will help you more than a more prestigious school.

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@On-hold @newtone

Yes my masters is professional, I had this thing in mind that students form big unis like uoft, ubc, Uwo might get job faster...so basically you mean that I do not need to transfer my credits for better job opportunities?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
it depends on too many things to really answer. If you're a teacher, I don't think it has an effect. If you're in a field like public health with many subspecialties, then your subspecialty is more important. I suspect that this is true of other fields, but don't know for sure. If you're studying petroleum engineering, then you should be out west. Look at the employment stats for graduates of your program, and then decide.

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
Can.ott said:
I am doing my masters from University Of New Brunswick, It is not a popular uni in Canada... kindly some one please answer me

DOES A RANKING UNIVERSITY MATTERS IN GETTING A JOB IN CANADA...??
It doesn't matter. Most of the rankings in Canada are just a joke. There's no elite school in Canada. All Canadian universities are "public" schools. Also keep n mind that most Canadian graduate programs are a joke, simply a money grab or a degree mill. You don't need a degree to get a job. Many Canadians with only a high school diploma have good jobs that people with a Master's or even a PhD are drooling over. So the point is it doesn't matter how many academic degrees you have and where you got them but it matters if you know the right person who can help you get a decent job. There's a possibility you can find such a person in graduate school, but it's highly unlikely. You can find such a person anywhere, in social gatherings, local gyms, etc.

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@king

So basically you are telling me that reference matters? Not the degree...

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
He's telling you that, but it's not correct -- this is why you should be careful about looking for advice on Internet forums. Canada is one of the world's most regulated countries -- many professions cannot be entered at all without the correct degree. Some can, it depends on what your degree is. If you have questions about whether your degree is necessary, go talk to your graduate advisor about career prospects.

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks on-hold....
I have asked this question to various canadian grads, and all answered the same that is it dosent matter which uni u go in the end u must have a canadian degree...i am doing my masters of engineering in ELECTRICAL POWER SYSTEMS... If any one here can help me giving some suggestion so kindly advice....

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
Can.ott said:
@ king

So basically you are telling me that reference matters? Not the degree...
Can.ott,

You don't have to come to a forum like this where misinformation roams free. Ask people you can trust and see how your friends are doing. I'm just sharing my first hand experience on what's going on in the Canadian academy. It's been said a million times. Yes, it's all about networking and connection. Not about what you can do but about whom you know. That is, the right person who can place you in the job you're looking for. Be aware that most Canadian graduate schools are a degree mill which see people like you immigrant students as a cash cow. This is from a person who taught at a major Canadian university for yrs.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Can.ott said:
Thanks on-hold....
I have asked this question to various canadian grads, and all answered the same that is it dosent matter which uni u go in the end u must have a canadian degree...i am doing my masters of engineering in ELECTRICAL POWER SYSTEMS... If any one here can help me giving some suggestion so kindly advice....
I did my undergrad in Electrical Engineering (General) from uWindsor (average school). I've done 4 co-op terms in different companies during my undergrad period and landed with one of them after graduation. FYI, it's a leading power company in Canada.

This would give you a rough idea how technical/engineering job market works here. Whoever is saying that the school you went to doesn't play a role in getting job isn't totally right. When you're a fresh starter, it matters. When you have over 5 years of experience, it won't matter much. Above all, how much experience you gathered while doing an engineering degree matters. Most big engineering companies would hire back the students who worked for them satisfactorily.

To define how a good school gets a job, I pick uWaterloo for example. Everyone knows that it's hard to get into uWaterloo. It's even harder for engineering students. They have 6 co-op terms. A student works in 3~6 different companies (all reputed) during his undergrad time. Obviously, he is much preferred candidate in any respect (unless he screws up the interview). Give you an example: RIM hires 75% of its co-op students from uWaterloo and re-hires a lot as full-timers later.

Moreover...
- M. Eng is not a reputed degree for engineers.
- Doing co-op/intern is a MUST in getting jobs.
- If you're an Int'l M.Eng student w/o any Canadian experience (co-op or intern or anything); it will be extremely hard to secure a job no matter where you get your degree from.

Let me prioritize the list to get an ENGINEERING job:
(1) Prove yourself in the interview
(2) Co-op/intern/summer terms (Some schools offer co-op with M. Eng)
(3) Strength of resume/cover letter/portfolio etc.
(4) Degree/school/GPA
(5) Reference

I don't want to discourage you; but here's the reality.

Can.ott

Feb 21, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Rossei

will M.S Power be better then M.ENG Power? its not discouraging but the answer i am looking for is how an International Masters student can secure a job in Canada? most of the degrees are not offering co-op..will project get you a job?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Can.ott said:
@ Rossei

will M.S Power be better then M.ENG Power?
Yes in general.

its not discouraging but the answer i am looking for is how an International Masters student can secure a job in Canada? most of the degrees are not offering co-op..will project get you a job?
If there is no opportunity for co-op/intern; then it comes down to how you utilize your time during Masters. Projects may play role if you work on company funded ones. So, it largely relates to your MS supervisor/professor. If s/he has previous industrial experience, known in power research and brings lot of funding; you'll have some chances through her/his contacts. But in M.Eng; you may not have these scopes. It may be entirely up to you how you manage a job after graduation. I hope it explains why I said 'Yes' in your 1st question.

FYI:
Search directory for Canada Research Chairs
Try your chosen province or nationwide with a keyword like "Power" as a search criteria and you will get to know the Research Chairs of Canada of different tiers. It will help you to find the best prof to do MS.

For example,
Prof. Ehab El-Saadany, Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Energy Systems
Associate Prof. Rajiv K. Varma, Hydro One Research Chair in Power Systems Engineering