+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help!

Gethin

Aug 15, 2011
Ok here goes.

I have planned to go to Vancouver Canada after my apprenticeship to do some personal filming with my own kit etc. I had planed the whole trip and was nearly ready to send my 1 year work permit visa. Though out of the blue it said on the Canadian embassy webpage that they do not take in any more applications from the 9th of this month.

So where does this leave me basically? I have one opportunity to go to Canada for around 4 to 5 months. I have planned to fly on the 28th of December.

Does anyone know what I can do? I could go there as a tourist and apply for a work visa whilst there? Or does that mean I would have to leave the country and get back in? I'm from the UK so does that mean I would have to go back to the UK or could I just go to America and then back in to Canada?

Also does anyone know when they will start to accept temporary work visas again? Hopefully soon so I can avoid this major set back.

Thank you for any replies and I really look forward to reading them! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Can you answer this question? (Confusing)!

I assume you were going for a 1 year working holiday. There is a limited numbers of visas in that category. They usually open the program late in the year for the next calendar year to follow and when they are gone, they are gone. They will not open it again until they are ready to issue the visas for the 2012 program.

If you apply for a regular work permit from within Canada, you will not have the option of an open work permit for a year. Instead, you will have to look for an employer who is ready to apply for a labour market opinion for you, proving he couldn't get a Canadian for the job and if he gets it, you can go to the US border and apply for your work permit that and it will be tied to that employer, location and position only.

Gethin

Aug 15, 2011
So could I go to Canada on the 28th of Dec like I planned and when they release the new work permit spaces could I apply using the one that I've nearly completed with the police check etc all done? And go to the border like you said and then be able to work anywhere? Or would I have to go back to the UK?

Thanks for your answer by the way

Gethin

Aug 15, 2011
And I was planning on going for around 4 - 5 months. Working. So guessing id need the 1 year work permit for that still?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The criteria for the 2012 working holiday as far as I know is that you must enter in 2012. I don't know about the UK but as far as I know, other countries tend to open these programs in Oct or Nov. so you could apply then and if you already have the visa before you plan to go, delay your trip until January 2nd to enter in 2012 or go on Dec. 28 but go to the US and re-enter with your visa in 2012. Your PCC may be too old to apply then so you might need a new one but just go by the instructions on the embassy website because it is up to them.

As for the 4-5 months, if you are planning to work, you need a work permit. If you are not planning to work, just travel, you don't need a work permit at all. Just arrive as a tourist, show that you can support yourself and have a ticket back and you are ok.