+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
Hello good people, please help.
I am applying for PR self employed program (athlete), i have everything and i am ready to send application, but the problem is ("curent country of residence" and satus.) question.
I have EU passport and i am in Canada for 5 months now like a visitor. i send the extension visitor visa, and i need to wait for answer probably 2-3 months. Generaly you can extend visitor visa 2 times with no problem, so basicilly you can stay 1,5 year in Canada.
My goal is that my PR application is processed by Ottawa, because processing time is max 12 months when you apply whitin canada.
my problem is, if i put my country in europe for "curent country of residence" question, agent will most likely send the papers back to europe, wien..where the procesing time is 40 months . i really dont want that to happen.
if i put canada in "curent country of residence" question, and i put visitor for "status" .. will they process my papers in ottawa or they will send papers back to wien? so basicilly my question is, am i qualifed to apply for PR inside Canada if i only have visitor status, and not working permit or student visa.
any help from someone that really knows this please!!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your application will be sent outside of Canada. You only qualify to have your application processed within Canada if you were admitted to Canada on a type of visa (e.g. work permit or study permit) that allows you to stay in Canada for at least one year. Unfortunately a visitor visa doesn't qualify. Your current country of residence in your application is your home country - you are only visiting Canada.

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
scylla. i found out that athletes are LMIA exempt, so i was happy i can fix my work permith fast. but than i found out that i cant apply for work permith inside canda.
and than found out that the athletes acctually dont even need working permit to play or coach in teams based in canada. (cicweb site)

so is that means if i put CANADA in "curent country of residence" and WORKER for "status" and i show the contract with the team. i am qualify to apply for PR from inside canada right and they will process it in canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
riffraff9 said:
scylla. i found out that athletes are LMIA exempt, so i was happy i can fix my work permith fast. but than i found out that i cant apply for work permith inside canda.
and than found out that the athletes acctually dont even need working permit to play or coach in teams based in canada. (cicweb site)

so is that means if i put CANADA in "curent country of residence" and WORKER for "status" and i show the contract with the team. i am qualify to apply for PR from inside canada right and they will process it in canada?
No - this won't work. Again, you need to have been admitted to Canada for a year or more when you first arrived.

You were allowed into the country for six month initially. You don't meet the criteria for in-Canada processing.

You would have to leave Canada, re-enter, and be allowed into Canada for a period of a year or more to qualify.

To be allowed into Canada for a year or more, you will have to show a contract at the border to demonstrate that you have an employer and meet the athlete exemption requirements for work permits / LMIAs.

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
is that mean i sign the contract with the team for 2 seasons, go to buffalo for 1h and come back with the contract to show them on border, and they will give me work permit for 2 years, and i can stay 2 years and i can qualify to apply for PR inside Canada?

# Work in Canada without a Work Permit
A number of situations may occur when an individual can perform work in Canada without needing to secure a Temporary Work Permit. An individual who is eligible to work without a work permit may still require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada on a temporary basis.

The following scenarios have been identified as instances where foreign nationals may perform work in Canada without a work permit:
Athletes and Team Members

Professional or amateur athletes may travel to Canada to participate in sports activities or events in Canada either individually or as part of a team. Likewise, foreign coaches and trainers of foreign athletes, as well as other essential team members, may travel to Canada to participate in events.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) gives the following examples of individuals who may be eligible under this exemption:

Amateur players on Canadian teams# (is this means i can sign for amateur team in Canada, and i dont need work permit? but the contract is proof that i am legally admitet to Canada for more than a year, and i can send that with PR application? )

#186. A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit
(h) as a participant in sports activities or events, in Canada, either as an individual participant or as a member of a foreign-based team or Canadian amateur team;
#It also allows foreign coaches and trainers of foreign amateur or professional athletes, and other essential members of the team, to participate at sports activities or events held in Canada.

Examples of individual participants in sports activities or events in Canada:

amateur players on Canadian teams (includes major junior A level and lower teams) (e.g., athletes authorized to enter Canada under this category for a whole season should be documented on a Visitor Record);
#Other examples of C20
Professional and semi-professional coaches and athletes working for Canadian-based teams

Full or part-time paid coaches and trainers, and professional or semi-professional athletes working for Canadian-based teams require work permits. Given the international mobility in this field, they may be eligible for exemption from an LMO pursuant to R205(b), C20, if they can prove that reciprocity exists for the particular occupation in their home country.

A full-time coach is a worker who earns significant income from coaching - enough to support themselves. A part-time coach earns a significant portion towards supporting themselves in Canada.

Professional Canadian teams, for which foreign athletes would require a work permit, include, but are not limited to, those in:

the National and American Hockey Leagues,
the Canadian Football League,
Major League Baseball and its affiliates at the A, AA and AAA levels,
the National Basketball Association,
the Canadian Soccer League as well as
the Major League Soccer league.

- these are some links that i found on cic. i am going crazy here, dont know what to do. i have all the documentations, but dont now what to do so my application will be process in Canada.

riffraff9

Oct 17, 2015
if i get the job offer from sport academy, and i try to get work permit, would that be enough? or university? or it must be a team?
listen now this.. #Can I apply for a work permit from inside Canada?

Only in some cases. You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

you, your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit,
you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job,
you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

There are other requirements as well.

If you are already in Canada as a visitor, you may not apply within Canada. You must apply for a work permit at a Canadian visa office:

responsible for the country where you live,
responsible for the country you are a citizen of, or
at a Canadian embassy or consulate in the United States of America.

You may be asked to go for an in-person interview at that office. If so, make sure you have all the documents you need to enter that country.

You must check:

whether you need to fill out any other forms or provide any other documents, and
how to pay the fee (visa offices do not accept fee payment receipts from banks in Canada).#

so basicly i am screwed...