+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help! Would it be a drawback if I mention my sister who is studying in Canada now when applying for a study permit?

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi guys,

My sister and I were international students in the US, but my sister got a study permit and she is studying in Canada right now. Now that I also want to come to Canada with her, would it be bad if we're going to study in the same school, different majors though, and live together? Since I apply online, the family form does ask about siblings.
What I'm concerned about is if I and my sister both study in Canada, would that show the weak tie to my country?

Thanks much!

Bbecks

Jan 10, 2019
Hi guys,

My sister and I were international students in the US, but my sister got a study permit and she is studying in Canada right now. Now that I also want to come to Canada with her, would it be bad if we're going to study in the same school, different majors though, and live together? Since I apply online, the family form does ask about siblings.
What I'm concerned about is if I and my sister both study in Canada, would that show the weak tie to my country?

Thanks much!
Well providing false information can lead you into more trouble.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Well providing false information can lead you into more trouble.
I know. I just wonder if this lowers my chance to get the study permit. I plan to mention that we're going to stay together. My sister is renting an aprtment right now.

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
I know. I just wonder if this lowers my chance to get the study permit. I plan to mention that we're going to stay together. My sister is renting an aprtment right now.
Why should it lower your chances?
You are a genuine student. Be honest.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Why should it lower your chances?
You are a genuine student. Be honest.
Since both I and my sister are studying in Canada, I think it would be indicated as weak ties to the home country.
Btw, you have any recommendations on how much fund should I show for my application?
Since my parents will pay for me and my sister, I don't know if I need to also mention my sister's cost of studies, and show that my parents can pay for both?
I already mentioned in the LOE that I'll live with her, and my parents will pay for our rent, but I don't know if I need to mention other things too, like her tuition fees, etc. as it's still my application.

Thanks for your response.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since both I and my sister are studying in Canada, I think it would be indicated as weak ties to the home country.
Btw, you have any recommendations on how much fund should I show for my application?
Since my parents will pay for me and my sister, I don't know if I need to also mention my sister's cost of studies, and show that my parents can pay for both?
I already mentioned in the LOE that I'll live with her, and my parents will pay for our rent, but I don't know if I need to mention other things too, like her tuition fees, etc. as it's still my application.

Thanks for your response.
Yes - you should show that your parents have sufficient funds to cover both of your studies. Even if you are living together, IRCC will expect that you are each able to show $10,000 in addition to your tuition fees to cover living expenses.

Reactions: vhptanh@97

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Yes - you should show that your parents have sufficient funds to cover both of your studies. Even if you are living together, IRCC will expect that you are each able to show $10,000 in addition to your tuition fees to cover living expenses.
Hi,

Do I need to mention this in an LOE, or only documents are enough to prove this?
My sister already had a study permit.
So in my case, I'll need to prove my tuition+living+10,000, and then mention my sis, her tuition+living+10,000?

Thanks much for your help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Do I need to mention this in an LOE, or only documents are enough to prove this?
My sister already had a study permit.
So in my case, I'll need to prove my tuition+living+10,000, and then mention my sis, her tuition+living+10,000?

Thanks much for your help
Just tuition+10k. Yes having your sister does slightly lower your chances of getting a permit because your ties to your home country are overlooked. If you are studying for a masters of PhD it usually isn’t as much of a concern.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Just tuition+10k. Yes having your sister does slightly lower your chances of getting a permit because your ties to your home country are overlooked. If you are studying for a masters of PhD it usually isn’t as much of a concern.
I'm applying for a bachelor degree after getting associate degree in the US. I emphasizes the importance of global experience to explain for my transfer. Also moving to bachelor after associate I think it's a logical step.

Do you just normally show the bank statement and other financial docs? Or is it necessary to have like a letter of explanation detailing estimation and funds?

Thanks for your reply.

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
I'm applying for a bachelor degree after getting associate degree in the US. I emphasizes the importance of global experience to explain for my transfer. Also moving to bachelor after associate I think it's a logical step.

Do you just normally show the bank statement and other financial docs? Or is it necessary to have like a letter of explanation detailing estimation and funds?

Thanks for your reply.
Yes you show a bank statement for the last 6months and must be a frequent one with an end balance of your tution fees and 10k, and it's not compulsory to estimate it yourself your acceptance letter from your school shows all.....