+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help! Visitor Renewal Refused - do I have legal status?

markb3333

Mar 3, 2017
Hello,
I rec'd a letter dated March 3,2017 that my application to renew my Visitor Record was refused. I have been in Canada since 2011 and have kept my Visitor Record renewed each year. I have also reached Stage 1 approval on my Permanent Residency application.

If I understand correctly, I only had "implied status" and now that the Visitor Record renewal has been refused, what legal status do I have?
Should I just send in another renewal application?

The letter states that I'm not eligible to make this type of application from within Canada but that's how I have successfully renewed my Visitor Record since 2011.

thanks for you help!
>Mark

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
markb3333 said:
Hello,
I rec'd a letter dated March 3,2017 that my application to renew my Visitor Record was refused. I have been in Canada since 2011 and have kept my Visitor Record renewed each year. I have also reached Stage 1 approval on my Permanent Residency application.

If I understand correctly, I only had "implied status" and now that the Visitor Record renewal has been refused, what legal status do I have?
Should I just send in another renewal application?

The letter states that I'm not eligible to make this type of application from within Canada but that's how I have successfully renewed my Visitor Record since 2011.

thanks for you help!
>Mark
If you have been refused, implied status is over. Next step is http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/restoration.asp

markb3333

Mar 3, 2017
Thank you for your response. I read the information on the CIC website regarding refusal and having 90 days to apply for restoration of status from the date of refusal.
However, my letter states:

X] You are a person in Canada without temporary resident status who is not eligible for restoration under Section 182 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
markb3333 said:
Thank you for your response. I read the information on the CIC website regarding refusal and having 90 days to apply for restoration of status from the date of refusal.
However, my letter states:

X] You are a person in Canada without temporary resident status who is not eligible for restoration under Section 182 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
Ah, that's more complicated then. You will be out of status but if you are in the middle of an inland spousal sponsorship application, I believe that the chances of bring removed from Canada are low.

Michelle1978

Feb 28, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong but if you have applied for Permanent residence and are currently waiting for a decision to be made than I do believe your implied status remains and that you do not need to restore your status. You automatically have implied status when you are waiting for a decision from CIC on an application, in this case your permanent residence. The only thing is that without a valid visa you cannot travel outside of the country since you won't be able to come back in. You do not need a visa to stay in CAnada when you are on implied status.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Michelle1978 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but if you have applied for Permanent residence and are currently waiting for a decision to be made than I do believe your implied status remains and that you do not need to restore your status. You automatically have implied status when you are waiting for a decision from CIC on an application, in this case your permanent residence. The only thing is that without a valid visa you cannot travel outside of the country since you won't be able to come back in. You do not need a visa to stay in CAnada when you are on implied status.
You are wrong UNLESS you also submitted an open work permit application with the PR application. This is only available for an inland application under the Spouse or Common-law in Canada class. A PR application on it's own gives you no status.

markb3333

Mar 3, 2017
Thank you Thank YOU for continuing to help me and provide information.
I did file and do have an open application for an inland Open Work Permit which ironically was rec'd by CIC just hours before the refusal on my Visitor permit. Maybe I will be okay?