+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help- visitor extension rejected?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Well, she checked something and confirmed there wasn't anything on her end. I did already submit the request for more information and paid that fee as well.

Yes, absolutely. I'll be doing everything in my power to remain as a valid visitor.

I do have a question- is it possible for my OWP to be refused? If so, if my further attempts to extend my visitor visa are also refused and my PR application has not begun, should I just lay low until the PR begins?

Also, once the PR application begins, should I continue to file for visitor extensions, or is it not needed?

Thank you again for your help. I recognize I've been quite ignorant on some of the aspects of this and I'm going to do my best to make sure a mistake doesn't occur again.
There's no need to apologize.

The call centre does not have access to the same notes as a visa officer may. I hope that when you ATIP requested for more info, you specified it was about the visa extension and not the PR app.

It is possible for OWP to be denied. In most cases around spousal applications, it's because you weren't in status when you applied. Your OWP may also be processed only after AIP, since you haven't submitted it with your PR application.

EStrong

Nov 7, 2018
There's no need to apologize.

The call centre does not have access to the same notes as a visa officer may. I hope that when you ATIP requested for more info, you specified it was about the visa extension and not the PR app.

It is possible for OWP to be denied. In most cases around spousal applications, it's because you weren't in status when you applied. Your OWP may also be processed only after AIP, since you haven't submitted it with your PR application.
Yes, I put in the request specifically for the extension and not my PR app. Hopefully that can shed more light on the reason why.

Good to know, thank you. I'll apply for my OWP while my visitor status is still valid for sure, so hopefully there won't be any snags along the way with that.

Once again, I am extremely grateful for your help on this! It's such a relief to be able to talk to someone directly who has knowledge on all of this.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Good. Applying for the OWP soon may mean it will be processed soon, though there may be a chance you get a letter saying "we will only process your request for an OWP once your PR app has received approval in principle."

EStrong

Nov 7, 2018
Good. Applying for the OWP soon may mean it will be processed soon, though there may be a chance you get a letter saying "we will only process your request for an OWP once your PR app has received approval in principle."
Good to know!

I did have two more questions if you don't mind-
Would the OWP permit me to stay in Canada without the need to continue extending my visitor status, or would I need to continue to apply for extensions? And if so, do you know the amount of time an OWP typically allows you to stay, or is that dependent on the individual situation?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If your OWP is only processed after AIP, you may have it for only a matter of weeks before your PR is approved, just as a heads-up. With issuance of PR, your OWP is invalidated because you don't need it anymore.

Reactions: EStrong

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just want to clarify the OWP is what gives you the implied status. You need to make sure you send in PR application and OWP before your visitor status ends. If your applications get returned after your visitor extension expires you will be out of status causing lots of extra headaches. Make sure all forms are up to date and double check all forms.

EStrong

Nov 7, 2018
Just want to clarify the OWP is what gives you the implied status. You need to make sure you send in PR application and OWP before your visitor status ends. If your applications get returned after your visitor extension expires you will be out of status causing lots of extra headaches. Make sure all forms are up to date and double check all forms.
Yeah, thank you! We've already sent off the PR app last month and will be sending the OWP in before my visitor status expires for sure.

EStrong

Nov 7, 2018
Do you think it would be worth it to send my OWP immediately with the a letter of explanation as to why we don't have a scan of our marriage cert? We've already ordered a copy and paid for it, but it says mailing will take 2-5 business days. That is the only piece we would be waiting on before having all the documents ready. I'm kicking myself for not realizing I didn't need to send the original cert with my PR app.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you think it would be worth it to send my OWP immediately with the a letter of explanation as to why we don't have a scan of our marriage cert? We've already ordered a copy and paid for it, but it says mailing will take 2-5 business days. That is the only piece we would be waiting on before having all the documents ready. I'm kicking myself for not realizing I didn't need to send the original cert with my PR app.
As long as you send it while you have valid status, it doesn't matter if it is today or next week.

It takes 3-4 months for the OWP to be processed.

EStrong

Nov 7, 2018
As long as you send it while you have valid status, it doesn't matter if it is today or next week.

It takes 3-4 months for the OWP to be processed.
Gotcha. Just wanted to double check since I know it's very important to send off asap. Thank you guys for the help! :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Gotcha. Just wanted to double check since I know it's very important to send off asap. Thank you guys for the help! :)
You don’t have time for them to receive it, send it back if anything is missing and resend it so make sure to double check everything and send in a complete app.