+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - two specific questions

compumom

Aug 8, 2007
I'm a US citizen married to a Canadian. We were married in Canada last October, and I've been here as a visitor ever since (one extension so far, sending in application for extension #2 tomorrow).

I have an official visitor extension permit and client number.

We've completed all the requirements, forms and attachments and paid all the fees for applications for sponsor and permanent residency as a spouse from within Canada. Before we mail them, though, there are two issues that we're not sure how to address.

1) A few days after we were married, we planned to cross into the U.S. to return a rental car. My husband was refused entry by the U.S. at the border, so we went around the loop to come back into Canada. My husband was ahead of me, and told the guard that his wife was behind him. I don't know if the guard was having a bad day or what, but he sent my husband through, then stopped me, grilled me, and refused me entry to Canada. After agonizing negotiations, during which my husband and I were kept separated, my husband was finally allowed to bring a suitcase of clothes to me at the border. I spent the night in Washington, and after very terrifying 18 hours, I was allowed to re-enter Canada as a visitor by a different guard.

On the application, one of the questions is "Have you ever been refused entry to Canada?" To be honest, the question didn't really "register" with me until the final proofreading of the forms. I answered "no," and I think that technically it should be "yes." I'm not sure exactly how to explain what happened in the "details" box, either. "Guard didn't like me" isn't likely to fly, eh?

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to handle this?

2) I have maintained my U.S. address, bank account, vehicle registration, etc. I have long done freelance transcription work in the U.S., for U.S. companies and U.S. clients, with the pay going directly to my U.S. bank to pay U.S. bills.

I know I am not allowed to work "in Canada." If I was to do some freelance transcription, entirely in and for U.S. clients, and paid with U.S. money going to the U.S. bank, but do it while I am physically in Canada, would that be in violation or not?

Thanks a million for any input you can provide.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
1. Handle it truthfully. They're not going to redline you for having a check in the "yes" column on your application. Just write "see attached document" in the space for the description and then write a truthful account (like you did in your post) of what happened. You shouldn't have any problems. But don't just write "guard didn't like me."

2. The restriction on working has more to do with 1) working for a Canadian business and 2) taking work away from Canadian permanent residents or citizens. Since your work falls into neither category, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

atos

Aug 1, 2007
Hi
I do not understand.
If you are a USA citizen, why should they refused you to enter canada. USA citizen and USA green card holder can visit Canada anytime. I have only Green Card from USA but I often come to Toronto to see my family and never refuse at the border.
Sorry but not clear.

compumom

Aug 8, 2007
I completely agree with you - it's not clear to me either.

The best we can figure out is it had something to do with us being married while I was on holiday. I honestly can't tell you any more than that. It was such a traumatic experience that the only thing I remember is being asked a bunch of questions about our wedding. I couldn't even tell you what my answers were, quite honestly.

One of the things I am discovering is that the area where I am now is like a completely different country from Ontario and eastern Canada. I grew up in Michigan, and used to go back and forth to Ontario constantly with no issues at all. Out here, there's nothing and nobody for miles, and EVERYTHING seems to be very different from Ontario. :-(