+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - Temporary Resident Visa or Permit??

mahina

Apr 16, 2015
meetmeincanada said:
Thanks very much for the great links! I was told I need a "Temporary Resident Visa" but when I did some searching I found this thread on Google and then did my research and what I needed was a Temporary Resident Permit. Just for the record, American Citizens don't need a "Visa" to enter Canada unless they are going to be studying or working there. DUI entry is always a Temporary Resident Permit if you are a US citizens. Thanks again!
Hi I need information for my brother. He was charged with DUI in New York in June 2013. We want to apply for him to come visit me here but we are not sure what form exactly to use and if 2 years is to early to apply.

please help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mahina said:
Hi I need information for my brother. He was charged with DUI in New York in June 2013. We want to apply for him to come visit me here but we are not sure what form exactly to use and if 2 years is to early to apply.

please help.
1. He was convicted of DUI, then he can't apply for rehabilitation for 5 years after the completion of the sentence, which includes any DL suspension.
2. If he wanted to visit prior to that time, he would have to apply for a Temporary Resident Permitnot visa.
3. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/permits/index.asp

mahina

Apr 16, 2015
Thank you so much for your kind information. I was wondering if anyone can help me write explanation about Rehabilitation factors/ "why you consider yourself rehabilitated and not danger to the public safety in Canada" please