+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help - Staying in Canada

Kirstie

Jun 19, 2018
Hi there,

I sent in my application for Permanent Residence via Common-Law Sponsorship as of May 2018.
My IEC runs out June 26th, 2018 (7 days from now). I don't mind not working in Canada while I wait for the decision of my PR but I need to know if I can legally stay here during the processing time.

I have looked into getting a Visitor's Visa but I am desperate for advice and help on the matter.

Thank you in advance for reading.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
since your application is inland you can ask for the spousal work permit, which you shall get. Check that part out.
Just be aware that from the time your current work permit will expire until you will get the new one you cannot work. But you can try to restore your visitor status while waiting for that work permit. good luck

Kirstie

Jun 19, 2018
since your application is inland you can ask for the spousal work permit, which you shall get. Check that part out.
Just be aware that from the time your current work permit will expire until you will get the new one you cannot work. But you can try to restore your visitor status while waiting for that work permit. good luck

Hi,
I applied for an open work permit along with the PR application if that is what you mean?
Could I legally still be in the country between getting these things? That is what I am worried about.
Thank you for helping me out.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
of course you can, that what restoration is for. Just between end of your current work permit and your new work permit you will be there as a tourist. good luck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not out of status so is restoration really necessary? Could she just apply for visitor status before IEC ends?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

I sent in my application for Permanent Residence via Common-Law Sponsorship as of May 2018.
My IEC runs out June 26th, 2018 (7 days from now). I don't mind not working in Canada while I wait for the decision of my PR but I need to know if I can legally stay here during the processing time.

I have looked into getting a Visitor's Visa but I am desperate for advice and help on the matter.

Thank you in advance for reading.
As you included the OWP with your inland app, you will have valid Implied Status as a visitor once your IEC permit expires.

You may want to consider also submitting an application to change your status and extend your stay as a visitor. This will keep you in status in case your inland/OWP app is returned.