+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help- Open Work Permit Restoration Status While Waiting for PR

EconomicRefugee

Oct 8, 2018
Hi

My work permit is expiring in December . if I apply for bridging visa now ,can I keep working even tough I do not get my bridging visa approval? Please reply I m so tensed.
I have also checked on CIC website stating that you are allowed to work as long as u have applied for bridging visa before expiring your work permit.
Hi. I am in a similar situation with you. I am curious to know what you did. Did you apply for BOWP and if so have you received any news?

Eve 91

Star Member
Nov 17, 2018
Hi friends,
Please i worked from june 2016 to February 2018 and went on maternity leave. Am resuming my maternity leave and want to know if i have to start my hours all over again. Since i haven't work since march. Cani still apply as a CEC my post graduate work permit expires in August

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi friends,
Please i worked from june 2016 to February 2018 and went on maternity leave. Am resuming my maternity leave and want to know if i have to start my hours all over again. Since i haven't work since march. Cani still apply as a CEC my post graduate work permit expires in August
Well, you have more than one year of experience within the past 3 years, so why not? At least, you can submit your profile and see if you have enough CRS points to earn an invitation to apply....

Creamc

Aug 31, 2018
Hi all,this forum has been really very helpful in helping me stay sane in this dilemma I find myself. My implied status has expired:(
I got my nomination on the 19th,got approval letter from PNP a day before the CIC refusal letter came and they’re giving me 90 days to restore as either (I don’t have LMIA but no employment restrictions on my approval letter )Now I’m not sure which to do first. Apply for restoration as a visitor/worker or send out my PR application form (I already paid my PR fees before I noticed CIC refusal letter). I need help....:(Please could anyone help with this question

skaur78620

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am in such a hard situation now and seeking for your advice/ suggestions. I finished and submitted my application for PR in August, 2018 through an agency. They received an acknowledgment letter of receipt from CIRR stated clearly that while waiting for PR, if your status expired you can applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit. My agency has never informed me about this information until I found out later....As the result, I was late for two days to turn in my online application for an Open Work Permit. So I paid $200 restoration fee for CIC, however, I only attached the acknowledgment letter of receipt but not the letter of explanation (explain why I was late for two days). So now I couldn't go to work until I receive my work permit :(

My employer was very kind and they supported me all the way through... by giving me a letter stating that they agreed to maintain my job offer (contract) and treated this incident as a temporary leave for me. Upon receiving my PR/or Open Work Permit, I can go back to work.

I am worry that because I am now out of status, and on a temporary leave from work- how would it impact my PR process? Also, how should I notify/inform CIRR about the situation (my friends suggested not to do so, as I was not terminated or lost my job offer) and it might slow down the PR process. I heard that restoration of status could take up to 4-6 months :(....and if they refuse my BOWP, or OWP, what other options that I might have?

Have anyone been in my situation before? Could you please share your thoughts and tips? I truly appreciate your helps!!!

Good luck to all of you out there- this is indeed not an easy process....

Hi there,

I'm same in your situation right now. So my PGWP was expiring on 10th December and my lawyer applied for LMIA Stream work permit(mentioning that they will upload the LMIA soon as my employer gets the positive result) before 10 as my employer was willing to apply for LMIA.

But after that my employer applied for LMIA on 8th January and I got ITA and submitted my PR through EE on 25 January.
And yesterday I got my work permit refused, because we haven't got any decision on the LMIA yet.
So now I'm totally out of status in here, I have to restore my status within 90 days. But I'm so worried that this permit refusal would impact my PR application a lot.

Could you please share how did the things turn out after with you..what did you and other members suggest me to do??? Please reply and thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Sharanjet

RayZh

Star Member
May 30, 2018
If your restoration gets refused, you will have no choice biting leaving Canada immediately and waiting for your PPR back home. I would suggest you apply for Visitor visa while waiting for your restoration in order to remain in Canada if anything goes south.

All the best!

soso40

Mar 1, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am in such a hard situation now and seeking for your advice/ Xender Discord Omegle suggestions. I finished and submitted my application for PR in August, 2018 through an agency. They received an acknowledgment letter of receipt from CIRR stated clearly that while waiting for PR, if your status expired you can applied for a Bridging Open Work Permit. My agency has never informed me about this information until I found out later....As the result, I was late for two days to turn in my online application for an Open Work Permit. So I paid $200 restoration fee for CIC, however, I only attached the acknowledgment letter of receipt but not the letter of explanation (explain why I was late for two days). So now I couldn't go to work until I receive my work permit :(

My employer was very kind and they supported me all the way through... by giving me a letter stating that they agreed to maintain my job offer (contract) and treated this incident as a temporary leave for me. Upon receiving my PR/or Open Work Permit, I can go back to work.

I am worry that because I am now out of status, and on a temporary leave from work- how would it impact my PR process? Also, how should I notify/inform CIRR about the situation (my friends suggested not to do so, as I was not terminated or lost my job offer) and it might slow down the PR process. I heard that restoration of status could take up to 4-6 months :(....and if they refuse my BOWP, or OWP, what other options that I might have?

Have anyone been in my situation before? Could you please share your thoughts and tips? I truly appreciate your helps!!!

Good luck to all of you out there- this is indeed not an easy process....
If you applied for PR through CEC, being out of work is not going to impact your application.

Last edited:

skaur78620

Star Member
Jun 5, 2018
If your restoration gets refused, you will have no choice biting leaving Canada immediately and waiting for your PPR back home. I would suggest you apply for Visitor visa while waiting for your restoration in order to remain in Canada if anything goes south.

All the best!

So should I apply the restroation for work permit and then apply for visitor visa???

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So should I apply the restroation for work permit and then apply for visitor visa???
You would have to restore your status to visitor. You can't restore your status back to a work permit.

RayZh

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Well, if you have the money to spend, then yes, you can try your luck. As mentioned above, if you wish to remain in Canada, applying for visitor visa is necessary. You can get a refund if you withdraw your application before it gets processed.

aemi11

Mar 12, 2020
Iam a single parent and i came to canada as an international student and got married within canada in 2015. my study permit got expired in August 2017 but we had applied for PR before that . My ex husband misleaded me by saying im in implied status and i was not aware that im out of status. Later in 2019 i applied for H&C application. But its processing time is 36 months which means ill have to sit back and do nothing for the next three years too. But my son is turning 3 and i cant survive without being able to work in Canada legally. Why wouldnt canada provide me a BOWP because my situation under humanitarian grounds?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Iam a single parent and i came to canada as an international student and got married within canada in 2015. my study permit got expired in August 2017 but we had applied for PR before that . My ex husband misleaded me by saying im in implied status and i was not aware that im out of status. Later in 2019 i applied for H&C application. But its processing time is 36 months which means ill have to sit back and do nothing for the next three years too. But my son is turning 3 and i cant survive without being able to work in Canada legally. Why wouldnt canada provide me a BOWP because my situation under humanitarian grounds?
You do not qualify for a BOWP since you have applied for PR under H&C. BOWPs are only available to those who have applied for PR under an economic immigration stream and who also still hold a valid work permit and are in Canada with status. None of these conditions apply to you.

You will qualify to apply for an Open Work Permit once you have first stage approval for your H&C application. Right now it's generally taking 1.5 to 2 years for most H&C applications to receive first stage approval (although some get it earlier). So that's approximately the wait time you will have before you will qualify for a work permit.

With all of Canada's immigration programs, you need to be accepted before you can qualify for an Open Work Permit. Your application won't have accepted status until you have first stage approval.