+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

please help me figure out what time I can enter the pool

echohsl

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
I started my work from February 1st, 2016 and I took a leave without paid for a week during May. This coming Dec I decide to take a leave again, from Dec 14 to Jan 11. I will be leaving Canada during this time. I think I won't get paid except three days paid holidays.

Can someone please tell me the exact day I can be counted having one year Canadian experience as there are so many confusing answers from my friends to my situation. Thank you so much in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
can you explain why you're taking the time as "unpaid leave" instead of paid vacation?

echohsl

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
I think for the leave when I took during May, I did not accumulate enough vacation pay to cover my weekly salary. As my upcoming leave, I ask HR to withdraw all my money from vacation pay account, but that paystub doesn't show the hours as the amount is calculated by the percentage of gross salary. Therefore I am totally lost here if all of my leave cannot be counted into my experience.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
echohsl said:
I think for the leave when I took during May, I did not accumulate enough vacation pay to cover my weekly salary. As my upcoming leave, I ask HR to withdraw all my money from vacation pay account, but that paystub doesn't show the hours as the amount is calculated by the percentage of gross salary. Therefore I am totally lost here if all of my leave cannot be counted into my experience.
If you are paid an hourly wage and have your "vacation pay" added to each paycheck, then you can certainly take 2 weeks per year as "paid vacation" even if you do not accrue hours or get paid for those weeks. (or perhaps it is counted differently at your company)

If that is explained in your letter of employment (or contract), it would be good to include that with your employment documents.

So I think you can safely consider at least 2 weeks as 'paid vacation' and then consider the other 3 weeks as unpaid... So if you work until Feb 21, you will have met the 1 year of work minimum requirement.

echohsl

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
Thank you very much. Someone told me if I have my vocation outside of Canada even I get paid, the time cannot be considered Canadian experience at all. Is that true?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
echohsl said:
Thank you very much. Someone told me if I have my vocation outside of Canada even I get paid, the time cannot be considered Canadian experience at all. Is that true?
In that case anyone from any cou try who is working, if they decide to go abroad for a holiday then you're saying it doesn't count?! No dude, if you're still employed by them and the company is willing to state you worked xx to you (1yr +) at 30+ hours per week, you're fine. They don't have to list all your holidays in the letter. As long as you weren't abroad for a month or so, it'll count.

echohsl

Star Member
Nov 11, 2016
kryt0n said:
In that case anyone from any cou try who is working, if they decide to go abroad for a holiday then you're saying it doesn't count?! No dude, if you're still employed by them and the company is willing to state you worked xx to you (1yr +) at 30+ hours per week, you're fine. They don't have to list all your holidays in the letter. As long as you weren't abroad for a month or so, it'll count.
Thank you so much!