+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help .. in dilemma !

Nitinp2810

Mar 6, 2017
Dear All,

My name is Nitin and a BIG fan of this forum.
This forum has guided me all the time. THANK YOU FOR IT.
Request you to please guide me as a friend, guide and philosopher for my predicament mentioned below:

Background:
I might have completed about 300 days (only) in the total 5 years.
I am aware that I need to complete 730 days.
I have genuine reasons which I can prove that I had my family commitments due to which I couldn't stay in Canada ( with all the med. reports).
Last I entered Canada was in Nov 2015.

Hurdle:
There are some Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) letters which state that I need to return some C$ 750. which I got to know last week as my ex-landlord gave me those letters late.
I am ready with the cash to be returned (which I still think is unrealistic) but its ok to return it.

Problem:
However in the next six days my PR is expiring.

Question:
1. Please advice if I should enter Canada before that, or take PRTD and enter after that.
2. Is PRTD process difficult and time consuming?
3. Considering my CRA issue will it be a hurdle at the POE ?
4.What are my chances of not getting reported.
5. Only I plan to go there and not my family, so if I am reported can I plead alone ? Or apply for PR renewal on Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds alone? or do I need my entire family to apply ?

Please help as I am on the point of no return and its a walk on the rope for me and my family.

Thanking you in advance

Best Regards,
Nitin

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What are the H&C reasons that forced you to remain outside of Canada?

Nitinp2810

Mar 6, 2017
My father went through knee replacement surgery and last year my wife had lots of complications which in resulted into ectopic miscarriage

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Nitinp2810 said:
My father went through knee replacement surgery and last year my wife had lots of complications which in resulted into ectopic miscarriage
Not sure if this would justify over 4 years outside Canada during past 5. Do you have medical evidence covering this entire time? Do you also have siblings in your home country that could have assisted your father?
Is your wife also a PR? Her situation is very unfortunate, but if a PR she could have also received medical care in Canada.

Nobody here can say if a H&C claim will be accepted or not. The only way to know is to show your case with all medical evidence to IRCC and see what they respond with.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Your tax issues and your failure to meet your PR obligations are separate.

Birth-related medical issues cover at most 9 months by definition, and knee surgery doesn't seem an obvious reason for H&C exemptions. Nobody can say for sure, but I strongly suspect if you either enter Canada now, or apply for a PRTD, you will begin a chain of events which culminate in your losing your PR status, which you essentially gave up on a few years ago. You have been out of the country for over four out of the last five years.

You can make the process quicker by voluntary surrendering your PR status, and if you actually want to live in Canada in the future, applying again if you qualify for a stream.

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
I disagree with what most of the folks suggested here, people with EXPIRED PR's have entered Canada successfully and then got it renewed after living their for 2 years (meaning in their 7th year from the 1st time they received their PR).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dream16 said:
I disagree with what most of the folks suggested here, people with EXPIRED PR's have entered Canada successfully and then got it renewed after living their for 2 years (meaning in their 7th year from the 1st time they received their PR).
And many people have been reported by CBSA at the border for not meeting RO, starting PR revocation process and need for appeals.

If expired PR card, one must travel through USA to enter Canada which is not possible for everyone.

And even if you can get into Canada without being reported, need to stay 2 years without leaving even once for any reason. This means potentially being separated from all family for 2 years.

Plus if he comes alone, that will not help RO violation of other family members.

In all, not so easy as you make it out to be. Lots of variables and risks involved.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
dream16 said:
"PR" doesn't expire. You mean people with expired cards. A limited number of people have managed to cross the land border without their violation being reported. Far more are detected, which is especially easy with an expired card, as it normally need to questioning about where they've been, how long, and why they don't have a valid card.

Nobody has said for sure that they will be stripped of their PR status. But the balance of probabilities is strongly in favour of it happening (and considering how little time OP has spent in Canada, it's unlikely to make much difference to them at this point).

dream16

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
New York City
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2171, 2174
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
IELTS Request
Completed
File Transfer...
29-09-2014
Med's Request
11-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
July 2015 (became PR)
Rob_TO said:
And many people have been reported by CBSA at the border for not meeting RO, starting PR revocation process and need for appeals.

If expired PR card, one must travel through USA to enter Canada which is not possible for everyone.

And even if you can get into Canada without being reported, need to stay 2 years without leaving even once for any reason. This means potentially being separated from all family for 2 years.

Plus if he comes alone, that will not help RO violation of other family members.

In all, not so easy as you make it out to be. Lots of variables and risks involved.
yes, i am only covering USA to Canada entry. Definitely you are breaking in some rules, but can still enter, lawyer up and get that CN passport by living there for 4 years (which ultimately is the end goal of every desi)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dream16 said:
yes, i am only covering USA to Canada entry. Definitely you are breaking in some rules, but can still enter, lawyer up and get that CN passport by living there for 4 years (which ultimately is the end goal of every desi)
Um no that's not how it works.

If reported at the border by CBSA for not meeting RO, you must appeal the decision. Assuming the H&C claim is not really justified so appeal is eventually refused, it doesn't matter how much time you spent in Canada waiting for the appeal. If appeal is refused this time will not count towards residency obligation, nor towards citizenship. After appeal is lost you will have PR status revoked and be asked to leave Canada.