+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help. I Can't Get An Answer!

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
On the Canadian Visitor Visa application the application asks "funds available for stay". What is this asking? Is it asking for how much funds I have available in the bank or how much the trip will cost?

Thank you

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
Thank you Steaky.

I am still not clear. Is it what I have in my bank account or just what I plan to spend on the trip? Does this include flight cost or just money needed once I am there? Just isn't clear to me.

gak9

Aug 14, 2012
Keep the genuine amount which you have on bank currently & in the bank statement it should be shown(better 3000 dollars if your trip is 2 weeks)

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
steaky said:
I would put more than $3000. More is better!
Why is more better? So it is not the cost of the trip but what you have on hand then? Is that what is being asked? I am sorry to be so unclear on this, but one person says:

"its usually the amount of money you r likely to spend on your trip"

and another says:

"Keep the genuine amount which you have on bank currently & in the bank statement it should be shown"

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
steaky said:
Yes, it's the amount you had in the bank. You can also include the amount which is available to you from the host family if you received an invitation from them.

I said more is better because $3000 isn't much. I use this as an example:

Oneway ticket between YVR and HKG: $1200 CAD
Hotel room for 14 days: $80/day x 14 days = $1120 CAD
Then you remain having about $680 CAD for other expenses (food, traveling, etc.)
Ok from what you just said it is what the trip will cost but let me explain it this way:

My flight will cost :$1,500
My host is letting me stay with them so I will have no hotel expenses or food expenses other than and food I buy while going out so I could say I would need $600 for (food, traveling, etc.)

So, my trip will cost around $2,100 plus travel insurance so say $2,500. Now I have $6,000 CAD in the bank. Do I put $2,500 (cost of my trip) or $6,000 (what I have in the bank)?

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
steaky said:
I have seen posters who wrote a low amount got rejected, despite their host provide the traveling, food and accommodation. Like I said, the higher amount the better.
Ok, so how much should a put seeing that my trip will cost about $2,500 for me. I have $6,000 CAD in my bank account at the moment.

cljw31

Star Member
Sep 7, 2012
higher is better! if you don't write down enough, they can accuse you of wanting to work illegally for additional incomes!

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
RabiHiba said:
ive always written $5000 and its worked for me...this is with me living with my sister
But I have $6,000 is my bank account, if I write $5,000, won't they say that is too much because I only have $6,000 in my account?

Sep 12, 2012
Hey ,
In my opinion it means both, you need to show enough money in the account to cover your return tickets and expenses during your stay in Canada. When my husband applied for the TRV , this is what he did and he got it in two days.
Rashmi

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
RabiHiba said:
isnt $6000 more than $5000?

If you have $6000 in ur account then i think u r good to write $5000
Yes, but won't they say if I am spending $5,000 and only have $6,000 in my account that I really am spending too much of my savings?

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
rashmi.karkhanis said:
Hey ,
In my opinion it means both, you need to show enough money in the account to cover your return tickets and expenses during your stay in Canada. When my husband applied for the TRV , this is what he did and he got it in two days.
Rashmi
How much did your husband claim on the application? Did he claim the amount for the trip or the amount of funds he had to "cover" the trip? There is a difference. The application says "funds available for stay" which says to me that they want to know how much I have available that I am willing to spend on the trip. Or does this mean "the amount of money I have in my savings account"? That's where my confusion is.

Marife99

Sep 6, 2012
steaky said:
They don't care. The higher the better! This isn't a contract. Say, you have $6000 and you wrote $6000 as funds available for stay. During your stay in Canada, you don't have to spend all of that $6000. It's up to you. You can spend as little as $100 in Canada if you managed.
Ok, I think I finally understand. It's simply the amount you have available but not necessarily what you will spend! Sorry for not understanding this. Thank you for clearing this up.